• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What would it be like to live forever?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Whatever it would be, I would find it preferably to dying. I think some people are rationalising that an immortal life would be bad because we all know there is no chance that, if we desired immortality, that we could ever achieve it.

It is unfortunate that it is physically impossible. An afterlife is also physically impossible, for the same reason.

Your consciousness, without which being 'alive' is rather pointless, has not existed forever. It was assembled in your early life and continued being adjusted for years after your birth, which is why humans do not remember their young childhood or indeed anything before their brain existed- because the brain is the machine which does the experiencing.
As you go throw life it is very easy to perturb or permanently damage your consciousness as a result of chemical agents, head injuries or degenerative disorders. Your being conscious is definitively dependent on your brain functioning properly.

The idea that the brain should carry on living in spite of its material destruction is just as ridiculous as the suggestion that, somewhere, there is an 'afterlife' filling up with the souls of people's long intestines.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
You'd get to see your species evolve, and this would be a depressingly bad thing going either way. If the world gets better, you'd eventually become the contemporary equivalent of a caveman in modern times, handicapped by nothing more than being frozen at whatever physical capabilities you have now, but handicapped all the same. If the world gets worse, you'd be the only smart person in a world of morons, having to live in it and go down with it.

Fallowfox

You'd get to see your species evolve, and this would be a depressingly bad thing going either way. If the world gets better, you'd eventually become the contemporary equivalent of a caveman in modern times, handicapped by nothing more than being frozen at whatever physical capabilities you have now, but handicapped all the same. If the world gets worse, you'd be the only smart person in a world of morons, having to live in it and go down with it.

That presumes evolution will take either of these polar directions; it may not. Besides, being able to witness the emergence of whole new genera is something a lot of people would be intrigued to see.

Jac Hindermark

The saying "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." Rising up and ruling over a planet of mentally abstract individuals may have some perks. Assuming the species isn't too moronic and take one's advantages as signs of being a witch. Then you could serve a greater social binding as the guest of honor to the community BBQ. Good eats.

Fallowfox

If you are around forever you yourself may be the greatest force of selection. You may be able to influence and cultivate the evolution of the organisms surrounding you.

Bloodshot_Eyes

Kind of like living except you don't have this seemingly impenetrable wall between lifetimes.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I would legally change my name every century or so and start a new life. That would keep it interesting. And why would we be cavemen to our modern peers? We may actually be superior since we haven't let the internet replace our brains and netspeak the English language. Having children is a kind of immortality, if the line is not broken (best to have only one, it becomes a financial and ecological burden above that number). Your children, if you raise them well and are not a loser, will be influenced by you and end up thinking like you, meaning you will live on, in a way. Hell, if you're influential enough, you can do this to adults/consumers. Just look at authors: they can impact us by the stories they craft; perhaps even shape our outlooks on life.

As for thr bad parts of immortality, this is why I would want eternal youth as well. There are thousands of lifetimes worth of experiences out there, if you are courageous enough to go out and look for them (this supposes you wait long enough for interstellar travel to become feasible). Maybe "augmentations" would help too, maybe I would change my hair ad eye color every so often, just to spice things up (who knows, maybe my conciousness would change from new experiences...nature vs nurture you know).

The last form of "immortality" is one where your achievements in life have had a positive impact on the world, no matter how small. Too often people live "small", in their own little shell, being solely fans and followers instead of creators and leaders. Sure you can be a fan of something, but take the intiative to make something, be creative. There are not enough dreamers out there. Inventors are a big part of this one. As are artists, scientists, and writers. Those who save lives also have a big impact.

To people who are drifting in life just living in pleasure and complacency but not doing anything at all, really: make something of your life. Get off your lazy bum, couch potato. Volunteer and help people, donate money. Do something besides getting fat while watching football. And to people who are pessimistic about the future: remember America=/=the world. In the future, people from the (former) developing world will probably respect technology much better than we do and won't turn into mouthbreathing knuckledraggers (in other words, the Eloi from the Tine Machine) from repeated use of the iphone. That's where hope for the future lies (barring current assholes in power in these places doing horrible things).

Immortality or not, I'm curious to see what happens in the future. Without curiosity, immortality would be dreadful. That's my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Hooky

Was hermiting.
Quite lonely and sad. Think about it. As each year passes you experience, or rather, remember less of your year. By the time you reached 400 you'd be flying through the centuries and forget everything.

Gator Joe

Ragin' Cajun Redneck Gator
To live forever would be a curse in itself as it would keep people of religious beliefs from reaching eternal salvation. I, for one, would be very upset if I had to live on Earth forever and not spend the rest of my eternity in heaven.

malk

ravioli?
The most realistic scenario in which I can perceive this happening is for us to reach the technological singularity in which we can upload our consciousness into an artificial body and life indefinitely. This wouldn't suck so bad because it would mean that we have the option of perpetuating our existence alongside our loved ones. Of course, we'd have to find new places to live once the Earth, Sun, and Universe all die in their respective times, but I would trust that we'd have developed the technology to overcome that (such as travelling to parallel universes) by the time that was an imminent threat. And hey, if we live long enough to quantifiably prove some sort of life after death, we wouldn't have to be so worried about returning to a void anymore.
You'd be forced to spent the rest of eternity in the most eventless place imaginable, the post-heat death universe.
There is an incredible short story by Isaac Asimov that deals with both of these problems. It's called The Last Question. Check it out yo.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
asking what it would be like to live forever is like asking somebody what nothing looks like. 5th grade philosophy in dis bitch!

JerryFoxcoon

The classy Captain Furfag
Probably cool for the first 30 or 40 years after the moment I'm supposed to die. After, I wouldn't have anything to do. Many older people get pretty bored after retirement. Imagine... a thousand years of extreme boredom! Hell no...

Jags

Shepherd of Fire
How would you body age? Would it decay around your living brain, or be eternally youthful?

Other than that, probably boring. You'd run out of things to do eventually eh?

Last edited:

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
The saying "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." Rising up and ruling over a planet of mentally abstract individuals may have some perks. Assuming the species isn't too moronic and take one's advantages as signs of being a witch. Then you could serve a greater social binding as the guest of honor to the community BBQ. Good eats.

One name: "Idiocracy." If it comes to pass, imagine living through all the build-up to that world. You could become as wise as Hawking and as well respected as the Dalai Lama, and you'd still be powerless to prevent the idiocracy.

And why would we be cavemen to our modern peers?

Evolution. While your mental faculties would be unimpaired and your body could be augmented by technology, you being a member of a single generation of people won't evolve, while everyone else around you would. Each new generation of people is born with an array of subtle genetic mutations, and that would happen all around you endlessly.

Very few people live to see the fifth generation born; if you were to live forever, you'd live to see the last. The upshot to that is you'd live to see human evolution in action, but the downside is you'd never be able to tell anyone in advance how it goes (unless time travel to the past is somehow possible).

Kabetchett

I know if some how I were turned immortal... I would be so bored, lonely and insane from losing people I knew and loved... and that's when I would want someone to go Highlander on me and just decapitate me shouting, "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!!!!"
Then pass that misery down to whatever dumb, gullible bastard and repeat.

Feral Shadow

well imagine how big and infinite not only our universe is, but any alt universe in the multiverse that might exist. it would be an infinite amount of learning and new experiences. :D

SirRob

It'd be neat. Whatever happens to humanity, I'm sure it'd still be better than dying. I mean until the whole floating in space and getting baked by the sun bit.

Learning all that is to be known, watching evolution in real time instead of fossils of that which predates it, doing things most people can only dream of, and being able to meet people from all different upbringings. Sounds quite enjoyable.

S

Sar

Your life would be like Skyrim. An endless quest for solitude with trails that you cannot finish.

Dreaming

Honestly? It'd be pretty cool at first, but things would go downhill pretty fast... I mean, think of all the crazy lunatics that would try to exploit your "gift", all the family and friends you would lose

Seriously think about it for a moment. Would it be a good or bad thing?

Me personally, I think it would suck because you would have to suffer through each generation. All of your family and friends would be gone. And you'd probably get bored being on the earth for so long. So I say it's a bad thing 'cause same stuff over and over I'd just get sick of it.

You'd get to watch space devour itself.