• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What would you like from a furry table top roleplaying game?

DaneAsmund

Hey everyone!

So I am a TTRPG designer who keeps seeing lots of games come through Kickstarter and elsewhere that feature dogs and cats and other animals, and they do really well. I can't help but think that the furry community probably helps support these games, but they aren't really furry games, just games that let you play animals.

If I were to make Fur and Scales, a tentative title for such a game, what sort of things would you want to see in it? What would be must-haves for race options (animal species), or what elements/mechanics do you think would make the experience more furry than other games that allow anthro races to be played?

What do you do in current Dungeons and Dragons games that you like from a furry perspective, and what do you wish would go further?

I think it would be really fun to connect with big names in furry art and work with just the furry community for such a game, and would love to be directed, if possible, to people who are interested!

Thanks everyone!

Dane

Angelfrost72

Hi! I'm a long time D&D player & DM, I've also looked at the furry TTRPG Iron Claw.

1. Make race (fox, cat, wombat or what ever furry types you go with) matter: This is kinda the whole reason to play Fur & Scales I wanna "be" my fursona. I would say go with depth, have a smaller number of races with there own feats and class options instead of trying to get ever single furry type in one book.

2. Have a story: I'm going to level with you Furry is hard to get into in part because it lakes a "story" unlike say the Star Wars fandom but a well developed campaign setting will help both furries and normies get in to the fun.

3. Use the Open Gaming License: Luring a new system is hard and nothing is a turn off like a big ugly system totally different from everything else you play. The D20 system is well known to most table top gamers so they don't need to spend a long time figuring out how to play.

Hope that helps XD

Fyfe

Also long time DM here. I'm honestly happy with some of the more popular systems like D&D but I've sometimes had to improvise a bit because they often just add a "splash" of furry.

Lots of games, like D&D, skyrim and even boardgames like Twilight imperium have one or two token anthro races. And while this is great I'm often disappointed that those don't include foxes and wolves...

So I guess to answer the main question I would like variety so that people's "race" of choice is more likely to be represented. Also I would like each "race" to feel unique.

I was disappointed that they only had cats and lizards in skyrim and I really wish they would make a anthro fox race for D&D 5e. Weird that so many games have cat races but no wolves or foxes. Damn I'm getting off topic.

Other than that I guess just make a fun streamlined game. Simple rules that leave more room for RP, story and exploration are what I find most enjoyable.

DaneAsmund

Thanks for the responses so far!
I would definitely do a game system that would be familiar enough and easy enough to get into quickly with just one or two pages of quick start rules. I don't want to completely reinvent the wheel.
I think it would be great to go in depth with each race option, but I think the key of such a system would be to have many races. So, many indepth races would be key to pleasing the community, I believe.

I was thinking to build off my own system a little with it. No classes, but all the options to build towards a 'class' archetype available. Your race will help determine your starting abilities, and then you can branch off into various combat abilities, magic abilities, etc.

I was thinking of doing some base animal stats, like scent, claws, fangs, and having each race offer an array of numbers to those stats to set base levels of capability or deadliness with your natural weapons. Players could still use a sword or shield instead, but I think some people would really enjoy having a character whose fangs are actually as strong as or stronger than a bought weapon.

I see that foxes and wolves are sought after, what other animal-types would people really like to see?

Fyfe

Another thing that comes to mind is that in many such games is that equipment can be limiting. In systems like D&D it's expected that all the characters will have a very humanoid body shape that will fit the armour, weapons, shoes or other magical gear that are a typical reward. This can be problematic if players veer away from a human shape (Eg playing a dragon in D&D would be hard).

If you want to let people play races of greatly varying shapes and sizes maybe try to put less emphasis on equipment rewards and more on story rewards such as making new contacts or getting new skills/magical abilities.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
It would have to include Skunk as a species/race, definitely. :p

I think then, I'd be a magic user/sorcerer, and my spray could be used based as it is in nature, or else, to cast various other spells, on other races, with foxes being especially vulnerable.

Never having been much of a fighter, or a fan of weapons or armor, I'd like to have some sorta species/roles that didn't really need them, per se.

Have not played D&D in ages, but if a furry version came along, I'd wanna be Sorcerer Skunk!

Oh, and also: I'd like it to be cute, more cartoony, and funny, and not be as 'serious', and not look like things like WoW. : ) There seem to be a lack of cute RP games. I do have Mice And Mystics, and the expansion, and that's pretty fun : )

Last edited:

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I love D&D but I have no luck finding local groups. I like variety, and keeping it at least somewhat realistic. Armour should cover more than the naughty bits, don't expect a flyer to be as useful in the air if loaded down in plate mail, etc.

The furry thing I do is pick a monster race whenever the DM allows it. My hands-down favorite character was a LN hobgoblin monk, shortly followed by a wizard gnoll who admittedly sucked at it because his racial impedance made an intellectual class a poor choice for him.

My animal preferences in a furry game would be starting races from as many general categories as possible without being too cumbersome. A reptile, bird, amphibian, canid, felid, a few ungulates (horse, ox, antelope, etc.), rodent, and maybe a few others like a raccoon, badger, porcupine, or elephant. A bestiary can always be released later to increase types to choose from.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
While I'm not exactly looking for one, the main suggestion I would have to put forward is stop making Humanity the bad guys, and / or the Long Lost Precursor Race who made all the Furry races.

As an example, if I had to give one gripe about HC SVNT DRACONES (besides how poorly it hides its writers' philosophy / leans), it's how much it bags itself down with a plot that almost literally can be summed up as "Humans made Furry Slaves then the Humans Blew Themselves Up and then the Furries were Free and the Remaining Humans made themselves Furries too and then lost the Human Genome and now only Furries remain". And in addition to everything else that can be unpacked from that, the sad thing is if I gave somebody that summary they probably would need further clarification to know which SciFi Furry Setting I was referring to in particular.

Following this? More arthropods and amphibians you cowards. Avians could do with some more appreciation as well, but next to arthropods and amphibians they get a particularly short stick next to mammals, reptiles, and aquatics.

DaneAsmund

Another thing that comes to mind is that in many such games is that equipment can be limiting. In systems like D&D it's expected that all the characters will have a very humanoid body shape that will fit the armour, weapons, shoes or other magical gear that are a typical reward. This can be problematic if players veer away from a human shape (Eg playing a dragon in D&D would be hard).

If you want to let people play races of greatly varying shapes and sizes maybe try to put less emphasis on equipment rewards and more on story rewards such as making new contacts or getting new skills/magical abilities.

That's a great point. I've already faced that before with my own races in my games, as some have tentacles instead of arms, while other shave 6 arms. Lots of management.

It would have to include Skunk as a species/race, definitely. :p

I think then, I'd be a magic user/sorcerer, and my spray could be used based as it is in nature, or else, to cast various other spells, on other races, with foxes being especially vulnerable.

Never having been much of a fighter, or a fan of weapons or armor, I'd like to have some sorta species/roles that didn't really need them, per se.

Have not played D&D in ages, but if a furry version came along, I'd wanna be Sorcerer Skunk!

Oh, and also: I'd like it to be cute, more cartoony, and funny, and not be as 'serious', and not look like things like WoW. : ) There seem to be a lack of cute RP games. I do have Mice And Mystics, and the expansion, and that's pretty fun : )

I feel like Ironclaw already covers that to an extent. And while the book would look clean and professional/serious, the game itself could be played any way. I agree that I love cute RP games, but I just made one and I'm looking for the opposite now haha.
I'll try to fit skunks in : ) And I dont like melee combat either so I would definitely include plenty of options to not have to be armored up.

I love D&D but I have no luck finding local groups. I like variety, and keeping it at least somewhat realistic. Armour should cover more than the naughty bits, don't expect a flyer to be as useful in the air if loaded down in plate mail, etc.

The furry thing I do is pick a monster race whenever the DM allows it. My hands-down favorite character was a LN hobgoblin monk, shortly followed by a wizard gnoll who admittedly sucked at it because his racial impedance made an intellectual class a poor choice for him.

My animal preferences in a furry game would be starting races from as many general categories as possible without being too cumbersome. A reptile, bird, amphibian, canid, felid, a few ungulates (horse, ox, antelope, etc.), rodent, and maybe a few others like a raccoon, badger, porcupine, or elephant. A bestiary can always be released later to increase types to choose from.

I feel that if I broke it down into particular stats to cover animal abilities, sort of like skills but animal-focused (scent, claw, fang, sight, hearing) etc it would be quick to stat up many different species. The harder part would of course be adding the extra special options, like flight, dark vision, superior scent, etc. Thanks for the overall suggestions though, I love those categories to start with!
I also love to play monsters as PCs. I got tired of the same old stuff and started playing characters from the monster manual.

While I'm not exactly looking for one, the main suggestion I would have to put forward is stop making Humanity the bad guys, and / or the Long Lost Precursor Race who made all the Furry races.

As an example, if I had to give one gripe about HC SVNT DRACONES (besides how poorly it hides its writers' philosophy / leans), it's how much it bags itself down with a plot that almost literally can be summed up as "Humans made Furry Slaves then the Humans Blew Themselves Up and then the Furries were Free and the Remaining Humans made themselves Furries too and then lost the Human Genome and now only Furries remain". And in addition to everything else that can be unpacked from that, the sad thing is if I gave somebody that summary they probably would need further clarification to know which SciFi Furry Setting I was referring to in particular.

Following this? More arthropods and amphibians you cowards. Avians could do with some more appreciation as well, but next to arthropods and amphibians they get a particularly short stick next to mammals, reptiles, and aquatics.

I 100% agree. I have no interest in including humans at all in this game. It would be entirely furry/anthro animals. In my main gameline, I have a spider-folk race, a mantis race, a scorpion race, and a salamander race (among many others). I can definitely fill the arthropod and amphibian routes for this game without stepping out of what I already make.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! It definitely seems from the various sources I've been reaching out to that this game would be of interest and appreciated.

I'll finish up current projects and start plotting out my ideas, then return in the next few months to offer playtest materials : )

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Choices. Lots and lots of choices. Some people get upset when there's too many things to choose from but I like being able to pick and choose what I want to do.

Consider how armor works for them and how they impede certain abilities, and making things "have" to be certain alignments (good/evil/etc) is annoying as fuck. I get annoyed how often rats and wolves and snakes are used as evil monsters. You can do things like "usually x alignment" and that's fine I suppose.

Also what sorts of abilities make different things stand apart?

There's going to be a lot more animals than you can make stats for, so giving guidelines on how to homebrew something would be nice. Also setting rules for hybrids.

Things I just thought of, maybe they'll help.

S

ScrewLoose

Did somebody say RP
CsHyVlDVMAAVbxG.jpg

DaneAsmund

Choices. Lots and lots of choices. Some people get upset when there's too many things to choose from but I like being able to pick and choose what I want to do.

Consider how armor works for them and how they impede certain abilities, and making things "have" to be certain alignments (good/evil/etc) is annoying as fuck. I get annoyed how often rats and wolves and snakes are used as evil monsters. You can do things like "usually x alignment" and that's fine I suppose.

Also what sorts of abilities make different things stand apart?

There's going to be a lot more animals than you can make stats for, so giving guidelines on how to homebrew something would be nice. Also setting rules for hybrids.

Things I just thought of, maybe they'll help.

That's my preference as well! I will definitely give some guidelines on how I did all the other species so people can follow up on it with their own if they need to brew one up.

I also do not do alignments-- I think they are sometimes good for explaining the gist of a character, but they do a terrible job explaining who a character really is, also alignment restrictions make no sense ever.

Not clear on your abilities question.