• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What would your reaction be if real Furries (not fantasies, but flesh and blood) suddenly appeared in the world? what would happen in your vision?

Matt the Terrier

Swing the Mood! =3
There could be a lot of backlash; monotheologic creationists would argue that this is going against God's intent for man kind, scientologists would be opposed to it as this is going against natural human genetics and there is no real gain to be made from anthros, and then there'd just be the rude, irrational, unaccepting ass holes who discriminate just because they don't like things that are different and unusual.

They'd be in the minority for a while, but eventually, like the LGBT community, the general public would slowly start to accept it. There'd still be some discrimination amongst the masses, but sadly, that's just a fact of life.

I imagine the FDA would ban anthros from working in food service businesses out of fear that they could shed fur and lower the quality of the food.

The furry community would certainly be a lot different and a lot more enjoyable, but then you'd have anthros who don't want to be furries and just want to function like normal beings; they don't understand the excitement or novelty of the furry community, nor do they have time to care about it.

Yastreb

One thing to keep in mind is that in the time between anthros appearing and them getting human rights, having sex with them would be illegal in most countries. Lots of furries would end up in jail.

If history is anything to go by, after the surviving anthros got their rights animosity between them and humans would mostly subside in a few centuries.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
One thing to keep in mind is that in the time between anthros appearing and them getting human rights, having sex with them would be illegal in most countries. Lots of furries would end up in jail.

If history is anything to go by, after the surviving anthros got their rights animosity between them and humans would mostly subside in a few centuries.
Not necessarily. It's a legal grey area - bestiality laws are usually explicitly about animals. A furry, while animal like, is not an animal as we're assuming they have full human mental faculties. Allowing them to consent and all that. One could argue they're just really hairy people.

What you have a situation that is neither illegal nor explictly legal, meaning there's no existing law to prosecute under. That tends to default to legal.

Of course, society may have different ideas and acceptance is a whole different story.

Yastreb

Not necessarily. It's a legal grey area - bestiality laws are usually explicitly about animals. A furry, while animal like, is not an animal as we're assuming they have full human mental faculties. Allowing them to consent and all that. One could argue they're just really hairy people.

What you have a situation that is neither illegal nor explictly legal, meaning there's no existing law to prosecute under. That tends to default to legal.

Of course, society may have different ideas and acceptance is a whole different story.
In United States at least a person is defined as "member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development". The law says nothing about mental capabilities. My country, Finland, also requires that persons are humans. (Though not necessarily Homo sapiens? It looks like any species of the genus Homo would count.) Anthros are definitely not humans, but because they still belong to the kingdom Animalia, I believe they would be legally animals. I couldn't find what definitions are used in other countries.

Of course I agree that anthros are "really hairy people" and should have full legal rights, but it doesn't look like that would be so without some changes to the laws.

D

Deleted member 133545

I would be playing minecraft before it happened, and after it happened, I would still be playing minecraft
Listen up, furries becoming real or not, You're still a human being, they are half of it, some are 75% like them anime bitches, others are 45% cause they stick to their feral roots
But you, you are 99% a primate, an homo sapiens sapiens
All you can do is watch, and maybe, have a gigantic intercourse with a group of them

pastelbomber

friendly ferret <3
I'd probably think it was really nice!! I think a lot of people outside of the community would be pretty weirded out... but I'm partial to thinking irl furry community spaces for irl anthromorphs and furries alike would open up :) I certainly think it'd be interesting!! I don't think we should inherently do that sort of thing with our new friends - being nice and simply being friendly sounds wonderful to me. But I'm a SFW furry, I don't engage with NSFW content, really, so I think SFW furs and I would probs have the same sort of idea of what we would do and how we would interact.

Ziggy Schlacht

In United States at least a person is defined as "member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development". The law says nothing about mental capabilities. My country, Finland, also requires that persons are humans. (Though not necessarily Homo sapiens? It looks like any species of the genus Homo would count.) Anthros are definitely not humans, but because they still belong to the kingdom Animalia, I believe they would be legally animals. I couldn't find what definitions are used in other countries.

Of course I agree that anthros are "really hairy people" and should have full legal rights, but it doesn't look like that would be so without some changes to the laws.
A strict legal interpretation of the definition of animal, which is rather vague, "anything capable of self locomotion that's not a human," would imply they are "animals." I will give you that, but a strict reading isn't necessarily what would happen.

So, the reason I mentioned the ability to consent is more on if a cop would arrest, or a court would even try to persecute. If it went to court, a lawyer could pretty easily argue there was no crime, because wolf-man here can clearly consent. He could also argue that since the anthro has no defined species, you cannot prove he is not homo sapien (or human) thus you cannot prove a crime.

The other thing - if sex with anthros winds up classified as bestiality, the fallout is that an anthro could commit quite a few crimes and receive no punishment. We have no legal statute for a dog committing theft, and if the legal definition of an anthro is animal, then you can't persecute because it makes no sense to jail a dog for stealing a bone from a pet store. Now, if that anthro attacked someone, they'd likely get "put down" without trial, mind you.

And, all this legal mumbo-jumbo is still dependent on a cop feeling the need to arrest. They could very well just not, having no idea what they're actually arresting for and if they can.

Chomby

You saw nothing...
My reaction would be like, "Woah haha yeah" or something like that.

Draakc from State Farm

Miner Sixty-Niner
Day 365 of being pissed that Kevin didn't pick up the map he dropped in Home Alone 2

NuclearSlayer52

purring like a wolf
if we look at it legally: hurting and killing them is destruction of property and kidnapping them is theft

if we look at it logically: theyre still non human animals, which means that sexual interactions would still be bestiality

both logically and morally: killing or other actions done to or with them seems like it should equivalent to "normal"(?) animals (including humans, because thats the logical definition)

ZebraDrugs

Furries would have to hide until all the drama was over about if we should co-exist or hunt them all down.

I'd be okay with co existing. Though, i feel People will argue that there dangerous and will gobble us up. And steal our cheese

Rayd

bullshit detective
they would very quickly die out and/or the world would be thrown into chaos due to industrialization and mass production of basically any necessity (food, clothes, cars, housing, medicine, etc.) being pretty impossible for hundreds of anthropomorphic animal species, as opposed to just humans. that and the societal and religious complications as stated previously. there was a similar thread like this one that was posted before, and i came up with about 50 or so detailed reasons why it would be an atrocity to all life on earth basically.

TheCynicalViet

Very bad things. If you crack open a history book, you're gonna pretty quickly notice a trend of humans killing eachother over, in the grand scheme of things, minor differences in cultures and beliefs. I don't think peace between human and animal is gonna work out. If you think racial tensions were bad, imagine what inter-species tensions are gonna be like.

There's also the uncomfortable existential question humans have to ask themselves when faced with animals with human-level intelligence AND cognition: "Are we still special?". And that realization that humans aren't special anymore could be more than enough to spark a global genocide of furries.

FlooferWoofer

Depressed. Going back into lurk mode.
I would jump for joy! If I'm being entirely naive, I would try to find a nice wolf to settle down with and have a family. If I'm being realistic, I doubt things would go so smoothly and we would live in peace. There would doubtlessly be many humans who feel threatened, disturbed, or disgusted by anthros and although furries would be welcoming, many normies would not. Far too many people can't handle differences between their own species, so you can guess how well the sudden integration of a hybrid species would go, socially.

Yastreb

A strict legal interpretation of the definition of animal, which is rather vague, "anything capable of self locomotion that's not a human," would imply they are "animals." I will give you that, but a strict reading isn't necessarily what would happen.

So, the reason I mentioned the ability to consent is more on if a cop would arrest, or a court would even try to persecute. If it went to court, a lawyer could pretty easily argue there was no crime, because wolf-man here can clearly consent. He could also argue that since the anthro has no defined species, you cannot prove he is not homo sapien (or human) thus you cannot prove a crime.

The other thing - if sex with anthros winds up classified as bestiality, the fallout is that an anthro could commit quite a few crimes and receive no punishment. We have no legal statute for a dog committing theft, and if the legal definition of an anthro is animal, then you can't persecute because it makes no sense to jail a dog for stealing a bone from a pet store. Now, if that anthro attacked someone, they'd likely get "put down" without trial, mind you.

And, all this legal mumbo-jumbo is still dependent on a cop feeling the need to arrest. They could very well just not, having no idea what they're actually arresting for and if they can.
You raise good points. In common law countries I can see the judicial system going more with what makes sense than with following the laws to the letter. Still, I think at least in civil law countries anthros would be treated as either people, animals or objects, depending on what they fall under according to the local laws.

I also want to point out that while it would be unclear what species an anthro is, any biologist would testify that they are not a human. It is possible to not know what something is, but still know what it isn't.

You are right in that as animals anthros would not be prosecutable. I think this would lead to vigilantism: if an anthro, say, steals something, the owner or their friends would hunt down the culprit (or whoever they think is the culprit) and carry out frontier justice. And if a cop sees an anthro committing a crime, they wouldn't have to arrest the anthro, they could just shoot them with no consequences.

Not nice to think about.

Ziggy Schlacht

D
You raise good points. In common law countries I can see the judicial system going more with what makes sense than with following the laws to the letter. Still, I think at least in civil law countries anthros would be treated as either people, animals or objects, depending on what they fall under according to the local laws.

I also want to point out that while it would be unclear what species an anthro is, any biologist would testify that they are not a human. It is possible to not know what something is, but still know what it isn't.

You are right in that as animals anthros would not be prosecutable. I think this would lead to vigilantism: if an anthro, say, steals something, the owner or their friends would hunt down the culprit (or whoever they think is the culprit) and carry out frontier justice. And if a cop sees an anthro committing a crime, they wouldn't have to arrest the anthro, they could just shoot them with no consequences.

Not nice to think about.
Dogs exhibit significant polymorphism despite being all the same species. To count as the "same species" they must share the same characteristics and be capable of producing fertile off spring. A Great dane really can't mate with a chihuaha, but they're still the same species.

Until it's proven that anthro's can't produce fertile offspring with humans, you can't necessarily prove they aren't the same species. A biologist could say it's unlikely, but I doubt any would commit, in court, to saying they're definitively not.

The result is bestiality charges likely wouldn't stick, if the cop even bothered to arrest.

For obvious crimes, mind you, yeah, without any legal standing it would get messy fast. Though I don't think it would take that long to establish one. Civil Rights lawyers would be climbing over each other to be the one to get the biopic about "Making Furries People."

Jaredthefox92

Furries would have to hide until all the drama was over about if we should co-exist or hunt them all down.

I'd be okay with co existing. Though, i feel People will argue that there dangerous and will gobble us up. And steal our cheese

Mine have superpowers, laser and plasma weaponry, and an army with about the population of NATO. If my character Grief was real then oh boy, you'd see a direct attack on Washington DC by his forces.

FlooferWoofer

Depressed. Going back into lurk mode.
"Until it's proven that anthro's can't produce fertile offspring with humans, you can't necessarily prove they aren't the same species."

Yas, hi, can I volunteer my body for science please?

I don't think bestiality charges could stick to furry x human as long as they pass the Harkness test: "Is there sentience?", "Can it express informed consent?"

As long as an anthro has a brain and fingers to sign language with, it would be hard to argue those charges even if they couldn't talk with their animal-shaped faces.

Even if anthros were immediately given full human rights(fat chance), I feel like all of the humans who had to struggle for hundreds of years to get theirs would be very resentful of that.

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
I have a meme for that:

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
Seriously without shitposting, I would say it depends.

If it were my pokemon... well...

If it were my other half?

It would be weird being part mollusk. To say the least.

fernshiine

I'd wish I was one lol.

Most people would, sadly, not take too kindly to it. Just like I'm sure they'd not enjoy it if aliens integrated into our society... sad.