• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's it like to hide that you are furry.

B

blue sky love

I know a furry in real life. He is my fiancee. I am currently questioning our entire relationship.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I don't have any real life furry connections. My fiancé is not a furry, has no interest in the fandom, and probably doesn't really "get" that I am one. He just knows I have a roleplay character that is a wolf-thing.
When I was a kid/teen, I was warned by my parents that having animal-toys and watching cartoons about animal characters, or drawing pictures of animal characters was "childish" and that I'd be made fun of by other students if they found out.
I have always kept it to myself.
Even when I found out about the fandom, I did not get involved for a long time because of its reputation as a "sex fetish."
I live in a conservative area, where many people still have the idea that being furry is a "sex" thing, so it's better off that I just don't mention it at all.

Bluefiremark II

Magic Blue Phoenix
Banned
I've never even cared. Never speak it, not because I'm afraid, just because it's just a thing i like, i don't have to tell anyone. But if someone finds out i don't care unless they're really making a deal out of it. I feel nothing for hiding it. Completely the same if i wasn't furry.

N

Nyro46

I just don't really outright tell people I'm a furry. Basically I don't give myself that label IRL and a lot of the times I say it in a joking matter or if I am within the fandom itself. I might have some subtle things (animal shirts or occasionally drawing/doodling my characters in public) but most people don't really care or notice or probably even equate it to furry necessarily. My mom has always known that I draw anthro/cartoon animal characters and doesn't mind, hell I have a WIP fursuit sitting out in the living room and she just thinks it's cool and creative. I think my mom might think that specifically someone being a "furry" means they are into some weird animal fetish thing, but luckily she has never equated that to what I do. I also have a friend who I think thinks a lot of furries are creepy/cringey people or are obsessed with sexual things, but I have also openly admitted to her that I draw stuff that I have described as "furry-ish", and mentioned a lot of people I have known that were furries, but I think she knows I'm not like some weird pervert or whatever. At the same time I often just joke about it anyway, idk.

C

CrookedCroc

Pretty fun tbh
l-21589-furries-me-also-a-furry.jpg

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
A lot of people say it’s easy to separate their online life and their irl life, and I fully understand that, but for me the hardest part is not being able to talk about my interests. Imagine not being able to talk about your hobby or a video game you like to anyone in person.

Sometimes I want to talk about furry related things like if I got a new commission I’m excited for or saw really impressive art work/fursuit. I lie about the commissions saying that I just do it for money, because it’s fun to talk about it, but kinda sucks I’m stepping on glass constantly. I also can’t show my friends my own artwork which also sucks.
In general it just. Sucks. Nothing to insane or anything it’s just that I don’t have a lot of interests I talk about so when I do want to talk about something I can’t.

My boyfriend and I got into a small conversation about furries, he tried to “mansplain” to me about how furries can’t enjoy cute animals because they want to fuck them and how all furries want to fuck the animals they draw (ouch.. I love drawing animals...)
He also called furries gross gross people, another ouchie..

Quote from him: “A large amount of furries actually want to fuck horses and dogs.”

So yeah. Nothing major but sometimes I just want to be able to talk freely, the same way some people talk about the shows they like and the movie they watched

Fcomega121

Friendly Maney | Once Upon a Laugh, all started <3
A lot of people say it’s easy to separate their online life and their irl life, and I fully understand that, but for me the hardest part is not being able to talk about my interests. Imagine not being able to talk about your hobby or a video game you like to anyone in person.

Sometimes I want to talk about furry related things like if I got a new commission I’m excited for or saw really impressive art work/fursuit. I lie about the commissions saying that I just do it for money, because it’s fun to talk about it, but kinda sucks I’m stepping on glass constantly. I also can’t show my friends my own artwork which also sucks.
In general it just. Sucks. Nothing to insane or anything it’s just that I don’t have a lot of interests I talk about so when I do want to talk about something I can’t.

My boyfriend and I got into a small conversation about furries, he tried to “mansplain” to me about how furries can’t enjoy cute animals because they want to fuck them and how all furries want to fuck the animals they draw (ouch.. I love drawing animals...)
He also called furries gross gross people, another ouchie..

Quote from him: “A large amount of furries actually want to fuck horses and dogs.”

So yeah. Nothing major but sometimes I just want to be able to talk freely, the same way some people talk about the shows they like and the movie they watched

I know the feeling, hopefully in my country people doesn't even know what a furry is and I can tell them freely about in some way but I don't have any friends to talk to IRL,
just a few online and it's great but anyways it's sad to live in an stereotypic society who judges before know, like old-middle age science was witchcraft for everyone until that changed when scientists fighted to change that.

So I'm Sorry but your boyfriend is a total Meanie, If I were on a relationship like that I would argue with my mate to make it understand what I Think and Feel to stop his xenophobic-based-toxicness.

The Matte-Black Cat

Dark/Psychic-Timid Nature-Often lost in thought
Hmm...
I don't.. >:3

The sad thing is - honestly, from what I've seen and my experience, me being female literally drives everyone away from insulting me or talking about how "weird" or "gross" it is to be a furry. I get the same treatment in regards to my virginity.

I'm just very open about being a furry. I state that I'm not into role-play at all or fursuitting (at the moment).

D

Deleted member 132067

Hmm...

The sad thing is - honestly, from what I've seen and my experience, me being female literally drives everyone away from insulting me or talking about how "weird" or "gross" it is to be a furry. I get the same treatment in regards to my virginity.

I'm just very open about being a furry. I state that I'm not into role-play at all or fursuitting (at the moment).
Your virginity drives people away because it's weird and gross? I hope not!

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
Hmm...

I don't care what people think of me. Freedom of expression is too valuable to squander. It can always be taken away.

The Matte-Black Cat

Dark/Psychic-Timid Nature-Often lost in thought
Your virginity drives people away because it's weird and gross? I hope not!

No no! Like, people Don't insult me despite being a virgin and a furry.

..That would be a bit odd if virginity was considered "gross" :D From other people, it's considered as immaturity I suppose. I don't care either way. :rolleyes:

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I do hide being a furry, though it's not because it would get me some funny looks. My family is full of weirdos, so...don't hide it because of that.

I think it's because I don't think it matters? I'm not going to turn up for work or a party dressed in a fursuit.
Nobody really needs to know and it's a harmless thing.

Jackpot Raccuki

Vibing Raccuki
They just think I'm joking so I don't even need to hide it, their ignorance to the obvious makes it so I don't have to hide it.

They think I'm mocking someone else who is a furry... Oh well at least they said my fursona looks nice.

AceQuorthon

International Man of Mystery
I wish I could be open about it, but I know a lot of people in my surroundings who would mock me for it :c

Wabbajax

Jaxon-Jackal/Arixes-Særkyn
I've tried to start being open about it. Told one of the gals on my jobsite and she just laughed and asked what a furry was. The other person I told looked at me strangely and asked if I dressed up in my fursuit and banged other furries...

So now I don't tell anyone in the construction industry. lol.

It's not really hard to hide it. Mostly the temptation to share comes when you start to feel alone and isolated in your furry-ness. I can't really explain it well but sometimes I just want to be my fursona so bad, but I can't IRL. So... yeah.

Vinfang

Indie Game Artist / Telegram: vinfang
My mon didn't care about furries, I got busted for worse. I accidently left some badly written NSFW yaoi fanfic in front of the shared home computer keyboard when I was in grade 7. I have no excuse for my stupid actions.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
It's a lot of pretending to have very little in the way of hobbies, coming across as either very boring or very mysterious.