• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's it like to hide that you are furry.

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
I know the feeling, hopefully in my country people doesn't even know what a furry is and I can tell them freely about in some way but I don't have any friends to talk to IRL,
just a few online and it's great but anyways it's sad to live in an stereotypic society who judges before know, like old-middle age science was witchcraft for everyone until that changed when scientists fighted to change that.

So I'm Sorry but your boyfriend is a total Meanie, If I were on a relationship like that I would argue with my mate to make it understand what I Think and Feel to stop his xenophobic-based-toxicness.

What country do you live in?
I’m in the US so basically everyone knows what a furry is, so you’re either a furry or you hate furries.
I don’t have any close online friends, I seem to have a hard time expressing myself over the internet for some reason, the forums are kind of the only place I interact with other furs, so this is the only place I can get it allll out other then Twitter haha.
But yeah, you’re right about the witch-hunt thing, no one even bothers to think before they start bashing.

Yeah I agree, but honestly I don’t really think it’s worth the effort. It’s hard to change people’s opinions on things. Plus I’ll be arguing with him and he’ll be like, “why are you defending them so much are you a furry?”
And I’ll have to sit there like .____.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
1. You don't have to be a furry™ to like anthropomorphic animal characters.
2. The label has many meanings, which may lead to misunderstanding.

Not referring to yourself as a furry means not having to explain or defend the fandom. You can still enjoy most of this stuff, using traditional language for it, and not raise as many eyebrows.

Last edited:

Fcomega121

Friendly Maney | Once Upon a Laugh, all started <3
I’m in the US so basically everyone knows what a furry is, so you’re either a furry or you hate furries.
I don’t have any close online friends, I seem to have a hard time expressing myself over the internet for some reason, the forums are kind of the only place I interact with other furs, so this is the only place I can get it allll out other then Twitter haha.
But yeah, you’re right about the witch-hunt thing, no one even bothers to think before they start bashing.

Yeah I agree, but honestly I don’t really think it’s worth the effort. It’s hard to change people’s opinions on things. Plus I’ll be arguing with him and he’ll be like, “why are you defending them so much are you a furry?”

I live in Spain but basically any Hispanic country has a very low knowledge about furries compared to angloparlant countries like US, Canada, Australia etc. even though hispanic countries are getting more and more conventions each year (like Confuror GDL, MX, other on Puebla MX and some small cons on Spain) and a Mexican Spanish term for furries "Furro/s" for men and "Furra/s" for women, but this is a very urban slang and English term is usually preferred. Over all it's still a obscure theme on here, but there's haters here too, hopefully I've never met one IRL.

And I don't have close online friends neither.. I used to but like many boy bands we have lost contact with each other (they are from US, Brazil, UK and other places and weren't furries neither but they only made occasional furry jokes and one of them wanted to own a macaw fursuit)

Hey you're right it took many years to change people's opinion on geocentrism, science, outer space and just about 100 years ago people still believed that Earth was flat and there's still flat-earth-believers out there, it's hard to make other people realize that they are wrong until someone like Copernicus, Galileo Galilei, Einstein etc. Comes out to break false believes in the world.
The world is so slow sometimes!

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
No one knows I get paid to write furry smut and that its been paying my bills for a while as other contracts have dried up. I know a lot of people (especially family) would be like, "Theo, what happened. We know you write for a living but furry smut?" I don't need additional prying into my life especially with the way the economy is right now.

So no one is allowed in my office, I make an effort to change subjects when talking about clients, but it's not like I'm ashamed of what I do. I'm more than happy and quite frankly grateful to offer my services to a niche set of clients who are (mostly) happy to pay. I'm not here to judge or be judged by people I know in real life. I'm here to be professional and do a good job.

L

LameFox

I don't talk about myself in general so not talking about the fact that I draw anthros is a natural extension of that.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

I think the people who make a fuss about hating furries are paranoid that people will think they're less masculine if they don't hate them. Like with people who are emphatic about their hatred of Bieber's music.

RossTheRottie

Movie Buff, Aquascapist, Hack Writer
There's a lot of things I hide about myself from the vast majority of people and a number of things I hide from the small circle of people I really trust. Being a furry is one of those things, one of many. I see no practical utility in sharing that part of myself with the people I know--there's not going to be any validation to be had. I also keep a lot of other peoples secrets as well. I've never understood why some people have trouble keeping things to themselves even if certain interests or past experiences explain on a fundamental level why you are the way you are. You shouldn't have to justify your state of being.

Arthurtheshepherd

Canada's most well dressed collie.
Its hard for me because I got a lot of furry crap on my phone and my mom instead of asking she searches my phone when I sleep so before I sleep I have to hide it all in my phone

Nax04

How you doing
Im what you'll call a hardcore gamer / geek / you get it, so i think everything related to that its implied already when i meet someone even if they dont tell me what they think i like or not, but i've always been cool about it, i've never told anyone i know irl that i like furry stuff, in fact, im not all that much of a furry like wearing suits and all that stuff, but i like everything else and the communities. Im already in a constant fight by being an introvert, so telling everyone i like furry stuff its not in my plans. And i pretty much do the same thing other people have already said, when everyone is talking trash about furries i just either keep my mouth shut or go with the flow

Also, in my country, well actually, pretty much all the spanish speaking countries, the Furry scene is pretty much inexistent, the only people that know what a furry is, its because meme pages making fun of furries

Sushimitsu

"Dosukoi"
Im like alot of you on this thread, I find it to be unhealthy when I can't tell people what I want to tell them but at the same time i question myself by saying should I?

Im bisexual and a furry, but I've not told anyone which is why I think it's unhealthy, I don't need to explain to them I'm a furry, I don't see anything wrong with it but explaining I'm bi to people might seem weird to my actual irl friends because they're completely different then me also that they would never thought that I was.

I have 2 friend groups, one that are a bunch of anime, Video game and music lovers, the one I associate myself with the most, then the next group are daily weed smokers, sports fanatics and are close with actual grime artists and rappers.

It's like my life Is weird. I want to express my feelings / interests but it's not easy. I would like to express the furry side to some friends but eventually I need to let them know I'm bi, keeping secrets can be stressing at times.

Starlight

Poke the beans, get the means
I’ve been admiring the craftsmanship and art of the furry community for a long time now and only just got my feet into it. I think most of my friends know about that much at least but probably not about my fursona. I’m not ashamed but I don’t go around blurting it out to everyone I meet. If I find another furry friend irl I’m always happy to chat about it :3

Nax04

How you doing
Im like alot of you on this thread, I find it to be unhealthy when I can't tell people what I want to tell them but at the same time i question myself by saying should I?

Im bisexual and a furry, but I've not told anyone which is why I think it's unhealthy, I don't need to explain to them I'm a furry, I don't see anything wrong with it but explaining I'm bi to people might seem weird to my actual irl friends because they're completely different then me also that they would never thought that I was.

I have 2 friend groups, one that are a bunch of anime, Video game and music lovers, the one I associate myself with the most, then the next group are daily weed smokers, sports fanatics and are close with actual grime artists and rappers.

It's like my life Is weird. I want to express my feelings / interests but it's not easy. I would like to express the furry side to some friends but eventually I need to let them know I'm bi, keeping secrets can be stressing at times.
Dude i divide my group of friends the same way, im friend of what you would call "the cool guys" and if they knew about this side of me, i wouldn't fit NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT, there is stuff that i prefer to keep a secret, im sure you think the same way

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf, Best Monarch!
Eh. A few in my IRL circle know, my fiancee is a furry now aswell lol. I don't talk about it at work but one of my dudes knows but had to ask what a furry was. (This was odd in Denmark, but then again there are not many furs here apparently.)

Revolver_Thotcelot

The E x p e r t
It sucks. All of my IRL friends think furries are weird and whenever they make jokes about them, I’m just over here like “haha yeah, good one...” If they found out I’m a furry, they’d probably ostracize me.

Casey Fluffbat

E. Fuscus from the discount section
I keep it on the internet. My real life is doesn't include anything furry related so I'm not worried. Online I'm much more open about it because the average person doesn't care enough anymore. Sure, there are places where people with roast you to the ends of the Earth for being a furry, but you have to actually go looking for it now.

Real life there are social consequences for many kinds of deviant behavior... at least in the U.S. that's the experience.

Starlight

Poke the beans, get the means
I don’t know if this will help anyone but when I hear people giving furries a bad name (or being mean) I like to talk about all the good things they do for the community. I looked into local groups and the charity work they do/donate to so I can counter the negativity with facts and positivity. It works most of the time for me

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
I just rip the band-aid off and tell everyone like it is no big deal. I've been asked a few times why I'm a Furry and I tell them I like doing mascot work, making people's days brighter, and raising funds for animal charities.

StealthMode

*stealth mode activated*
Banned
I haven't told anyone irl yet, and dont plan to. Its quiet easy not to tell anyone that you think anthro animals are cool

Sushimitsu

"Dosukoi"
Dude i divide my group of friends the same way, im friend of what you would call "the cool guys" and if they knew about this side of me, i wouldn't fit NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT, there is stuff that i prefer to keep a secret, im sure you think the same way

100%, its just hard, there's not much else to say about the situation lol. I've known these guys from both groups ranging from 7+years to 10 years, I've grown up with these guys from school. Only recently I found out I was bi yet I can't find the balls to tell them. The furry thing idk if I'll ever tell them, one of the groups will take the banter to another level by taking the absolute piss haha love the guys but the secrets going to have to be safe with me and everyone else on this forum. It's not a big deal but I can imagine the aftermath.

D

Deleted member 82554

A little annoying, really. Saying you have an interest in this sort of stuff is one thing, saying you have an interest in it and trying to hide all of your paraphernalia related to it is another matter. It's not so bad if you're a woman, but if you're a male, well, it can get a little tricky trying to explain everything and be accepted for it. You know, the whole gender roles and masculinity/feminism thing.

For some reason I get the feeling someone here is going to tear this to pieces and accuse me of being a sexist of some type; fuck off with that shit, I'm not implying that at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeFay

Professional meme inspector
I've gotten very good at hiding my association from others, I use 2 separate accounts on Facebook and Discord. Often if I'm lurking through art or forums in public I keep my brightness on my phone down, I'll try to have my back to a wall and watch around for what people are doing.

In 10 years my bestfriend is the only irl person that knows and I only told him about it like 2 months ago.

It's not really aggrevating as I prefer to keep my real life and the fandom completely seperate. My worst nightmare would be if my professional life took a hit because of it (and it has happened to fandom members before).

You just have to be smart about it. Plus the fandom is a hobby (unless you're living an alternative life style or something) but generally it just complicates your life having people know. Just not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I live in a fairly conservative area, where the default is white and Christian and straight.

Many people buy into stereotypes about anyone who isn't part of that demographic, and that includes furries. Most of their ideas come from tabloid type sources, or entertainment media that portray furries as an animal-sex fetish. Once they get that idea in their heads, there is no way to convince them that a furry is anything BUT a person who fantasizes about having sex with animals. Even though I was always drawn to stories and movies involving animal characters, it was the image of furries as being all about sex that kept me from actually identifying myself as one. Even now, some of the cringe I see within the fandom makes me keep some distance.

That's why I don't talk about it or share my involvement in the fandom with people I know in real life.

I keep my furry existence confined to online, including FA, Discord and Telegram chats, and (my personal favorite) Second Life.

It's not worth it to me to alienate myself from RL friends and family because they have preconceived ideas of what "furries" are.