• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the best feedback you've had on your work?

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
I don't know about you guys, but I love to have some friends and family read my work, even in the early stages, mostly for the critique and to see if they enjoyed it at all (and sometimes I find it interesting to see how a non-fur reacts to what is ultimately furry writing).

The feedback that stuck with me the most was from a fellow writer, who said that my dialogue, in particular, was great. He said it actually felt real. This meant a lot to me, because I've always felt that if a book or a TV show had natural, convincing dialogue I felt like I was there. And so this made me feel pretty darn great.

So my question is, if others have read your work, what is the feedback that stood out to you? And was this what you were hoping to hear?

Ley

I once told that a comic of mine made someone cry.

I don't know, but it felt really good.

That, and my professor once asked me "What do you want to do with your life?" "I want to do it all. Produce comics, storyboards for others, thumbs for videogames, stuff like that." He nodded, and said, "You will."

It just stuck to me.

Conker

Destroyer of Nazi Teddy Bears
I once wrote a short, alien abduction story for a college class. I spent most of it trying to be as graphic as I possibly could, and a few students told me it made them near sick reading it.

My brother provides pretty good feedback to whatever it is I'm working on, but only in that he's so brutally fucking honest that...well, he makes me mad sometimes.

Zenia

I have someone that likes my art so much, that he is having me adapt his 100 chapter story into a comic. We are like 14 months into it and are only in chapter 9. XD At the end he will have paid me enough to buy a new car. Then I get a bunch of great comments on the pages when he and I upload them to our galleries (I post them about two months behind him) and some people have said it is one of the best comics they have read, or that they really love the way I draw expressions. :)

Gnarl

The Arcane Sage
I can't get my family to read my works, not even the published ones! Best comment i ever got was "I can't put it down!"
or "I want more!" Then one even said that it was "A must read!" I was in heaven .. for at least three minutes!

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
"You suck. Stop drawing and let real artists work"
I don't get that positive feedback, though sarcasm flows with the negative.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
"Your story made me cry, I couldn't read 2 lines aloud"
Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

ShadowedIrises

The most interesting feedback that I've ever gotten was on a 50 page nonfiction project on the link between mental heath and education that I wrote two years ago. One reader told me that it was so poorly written they could barely make it through the report. Another told me that it inspired him to return to high school after he dropped out in 11th grade. Not sure what to make of that!

Other than that, I always take it as a compliment when someone asks to read more of my work, or if I am ever going to try and get published. :)

Alexxx-Returns

I can't get my family to read my works, not even the published ones! Best comment i ever got was "I can't put it down!"
or "I want more!" Then one even said that it was "A must read!" I was in heaven .. for at least three minutes!

That must've felt so good! I'm jealous now!

SkyeLansing

"It's good but you're using too many words. Try to tell exactly the same story but be less verbose."

Seriously, it amazed me how much the art of learning what to cut out will improve a story.

Alexxx-Returns

Seriously, it amazed me how much the art of learning what to cut out will improve a story.

I would agree with this.

It's funny how the word count creeps up on you. Especially when you were initially doubting you could write enough​.

Friday

Otter
I got this one from a very stoic friend of mine: "Very good passage above. Starting from (X Event, removed for spoiler) to here where I had to stop and walk away from the computer. Very good passage. I'm actually tearing up."

Considering that was the impact I was going for with the passage, it made me thrilled.

Kalmor

Banned
Banned
"How could I forget????? I love the track you wrote for me, I listen to itas often as I listen to the albums my pal sends me! n wn I couldn't forget!!"
^^ About an art trade which they're being delayed because of life. The compliment is an awesome one though.

Alexxx-Returns

On the comic that I mentioned earlier... it is now a finalist in three categories for awards on Drunk Duck, so that is pretty cool. Best Anthro, Best Romance and Best Adult. :D

Wow, congratulations!! I hope the rest of the project goes just as well!

A critic compared my writing to Virginia Woolf. I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't move or speak for a decent 2-3 minutes.

shetira

The best feedback I ever got was from someone who was willing to tell me in an calm, honest and non-judgmental way what I had done wrong and what I could do to fix it. If authors on FA got that kind of feedback on a regular basis, the quality of material uploaded to the site would improve dramatically.

Alexxx-Returns

A critic compared my writing to Virginia Woolf. I was so flabbergasted that I couldn't move or speak for a decent 2-3 minutes.

Bloody hell! That must have felt amazing.

The best feedback I ever got was from someone who was willing to tell me in an calm, honest and non-judgmental way what I had done wrong and what I could do to fix it. If authors on FA got that kind of feedback on a regular basis, the quality of material uploaded to the site would improve dramatically.

That's the best kind of feedback. It's a good thing as long as they are mature about it and not trying to put anyone down.

Friday

Otter
Honestly, I just like honest feedback. I don't care if you pad it with positivity and encouragement, I don't care if you have no experience criticizing a story, I don't care.

All I want to know is whatever you have to say. I can use that to improve.