• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the cheapest device to browse the internet with?

eversleep

Banned
Banned
Just wondering, because it'd be handy to have an internet-enabled device. I'd pretty much only use it to browse the internet. Keep in mind, I'm talking about regular wi-fi and NOT a cellular wi-fi data service plan.
Also playing videos and stuff would be nice, not necessary though.
Also prefer a device that isn't so cheaply made it breaks in a few weeks... went through 3 of those already.

Onnes

Well, if you aren't purchasing something with a phone contract, then the tablet e-book readers are probably the cheapest you can get. Check out the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet.

Rotsala

homosexual agenda
Get a cheapass netbook/laptop, they're not very powerful but they're pretty useful as long as you don't plan on playing games or running heavy programs.

I guess you could get some sort of tablet/e-book reader with wifi capabilities, but they're seriously underpowered and fickle in my experience

L

LizardKing

Well, I suppose technically the cheapest way would be to whistle down the phone and pretend you're a modem, you can do that for free, but I don't think that's the answer you're looking for.

eversleep

Banned
Banned
Do you want cheep or good?
I need both! Something has to exist
Get a cheapass netbook/laptop, they're not very powerful but they're pretty useful as long as you don't plan on playing games or running heavy programs.

I guess you could get some sort of tablet/e-book reader with wifi capabilities, but they're seriously underpowered and fickle in my experience
$100 netbook I had broke in like 2 weeks and it sucked really bad. $100 tablet also sucked and broke in like a month. The battery life on both was like a half hour (literally). I guess $100 is too little to spend on something like that though.
Well, I suppose technically the cheapest way would be to whistle down the phone and pretend you're a modem, you can do that for free, but I don't think that's the answer you're looking for.
I'm still confused by this...

Anyway, is there any kind of like touchscreen phone-like or MP3 player-like device or something that's really cheap but will last atleast a year and can play Flash videos and stuff?

Also, reviews on both the Kindle Fire and Nook seem mixed.

Onnes

Also, reviews on both the Kindle Fire and Nook seem mixed.

You aren't going to find anything that is both dirt cheap and durable. I think most people just get this sort of thing through their phone service; many of those phones cost $500 or more before the discount from the contract.

I'd recommend a netbook with a light GNU/Linux distro like Debian, Gentoo, etc or Puppy if you aren't comfortable with those.

shteev

Lol how do I delete this account
Just get an Android Tablet/iPad.

Going cheap with these things is just a waste of time.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
how about an 8GB ipod touch? small screen but it works well for browsing the web.
or an archos 7.0 or 10.1 tablet. they are pretty good android tablets and below 200€

If you don't want to buy something that breaks in seconds, you have to pay a regular price for a regular product. A netbook would do, gives you plain control over internet and video while browsing in a natural enviorment for the normal PC user.

Ricky

I wouldn't get a Kindle to surf the net. I've heard really bad things.

You'd probably be best with one of those mini laptops.

I'd say a mobile device but those aren't really the best for browsing the net still, IMO.

Rotsala

homosexual agenda
I don't know man my Acer Aspire One is pretty much invincible.

I broke the power switch by being a retard but even that was easy to fix. For browsing the internet and chatting I couldn't hope for a better shitbook

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Blackberry Playbook. They're shit, but they're good for web browsing I guess. $199 for the 16GB version.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Blackberry Playbook. They're shit, but they're good for web browsing I guess. $199 for the 16GB version.

If he looks around, he might be able to do what I did and score a netbook for the same price. Mine's an eMachines, but despite the crap name it's proven worth the price.

Also, Acer Aspire One netbooks can still be had for just $50 more. The only practical disadvantages to netbooks are the smaller keyboards and trackpads (which means you can't use them if you have fingers as big and fat as Heavy's), the smaller screen real-estate, usually 1024x600, and the edition of Windows they come with: Starter.

Also, if you get a notebook or netbook of any kind, copy down everything on every sticker on the underside and lock it away. Every last one of them will wear down to blank in no time, even the Microsoft Windows Certificate of Authenticity.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
My main issue with netbooks in that price range is that they usually come with an AMD C-50 CPU, which is quite honestly one of the most staggeringly slow CPU's I've seen in a long time, even (especially?) compared to the also-netbook-class E-350, which is actually surprisingly decent for what it is. They also usually come with a measly 1GB of RAM, which on Windows 7 (even Starter) isn't enough. Either you'll need to upgrade to 2GB or switch to Linux unless you want to deal. Personally, I'd run with the Playbook first, and I'm by no means a fan of the device.

E

Elim Garak

eversleep

Banned
Banned
Kindle fire is quite wanted as well. It can run high end shit and has a nice price.
Looked at that, but it has lots of 1-star reviews. =\ Hmm.
Also I did browse around and found a few devices I could get, not sure if I will or not though. The prices make me believe they'd break very soon, and I'm sick of shit breaking on me constantly.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES