• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the consensus on vr?

Kope

Artist?
Will it ever take off like the video game industry did? Is it too niche? The only true AAA game we've seen was Half Life Alex so idk. I like the tech though.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
Vr has a lot of potential, but other than re-releasing old games with VR compatibility, I haven't seen anything worth justifying the purchase. For me, anyway. The more modern VR headset (Oculus) was back from 2012. I honestly don't have a lot of hope that I'll play something as immersive and worthwhile before I'm 50.

Aryte

:)
I was extremely skeptical at first, but after being talked into giving it a try there is a lot of charm to it. I only really run about on Neos, but it has the same sort of charm as early Second Life. Fairly inviting, fun community with a lot of creativity. As far as gaming at large, I think the jury is still out on that.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
Will it ever take off like the video game industry did? Is it too niche? The only true AAA game we've seen was Half Life Alex so idk. I like the tech though.

The idea behind it is awesome, but once they find a way to do away with the headsets or lighten their weight greatly you'll see it take off totally. Until then a good half the market will reject it becasue they don't want to look like a dork getting neckstrain while effectively sealed away from someone right beside them.

ben909

vaporeon character is busy so coffee mushroom now
my view

it feels like we are viewing it like 3d tech and 3d tvs, and those are rare now

LameFox

I think for personal uses it might eventually replace a monitor. For gaming it's less wasted vision, for other purposes it could save space, allowing for instance that I could look around a virtual desktop and be doing multiple things without needing three screens in front of me.

My impression at the moment though is that it's not really at a point of convenience and comfort where I'd even be willing to buy it and test this. Especially not one that's owned by facebook.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Having tried virtual reality I didn't really enjoy it. It felt like a gimmick to me. Just two screens pushed way up close against my eyeballs.

Kope

Artist?
Having tried virtual reality I didn't really enjoy it. It felt like a gimmick to me. Just two screens pushed way up close against my eyeballs.
I like the interactivity with your actual hands in game personally

I think it may grow in popularity as better technology becomes affordable enough for the general population consumer.

I haven't played Star Wars Squadrons, but I would love to try that in VR

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
Personally, easier for me to work out in this than in just physical reality. Yeah, even with just VRChat (have you seen the climbing maps?).

And anyone telling me "those aren't enough movement" needs to consider combining the needed motions with weighted clothing.

Overall, I think VR is going to be a bit slow to take off, but when the normal equipment is lighter and tracking options expand it's going to be a MASSIVE deal.

Kope

Artist?
Personally, easier for me to work out in this than in just physical reality. Yeah, even with just VRChat (have you seen the climbing maps?).

And anyone telling me "those aren't enough movement" needs to consider combining the needed motions with weighted clothing.

Overall, I think VR is going to be a bit slow to take off, but when the normal equipment is lighter and tracking options expand it's going to be a MASSIVE deal.
I used to be overweight but ever since I got vr I'm only slightly overweight now. ; __;

I tried vr chat, but my social anxiety makes me freeze up everytime and I can't speak to anyone.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Personally I find VR overpriced and overhyped. Looks fun for the first couple of days, then you go find something else to do/play. Game library doesn't look to be big either.

Kope

Artist?
Personally I find VR overpriced and overhyped. Looks fun for the first couple of days, then you go find something else to do/play. Game library doesn't look to be big either.
Yeah I'm kinda excited for hitman vr to come to pc though

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
Gotta agree. From my perspective it costs an arm and a leg, but does it offer that much in the end?... Also why these VR games/whatever (at least those I've ran into by accident on YT) all need to use disembodied pair of hands floating in the air?... It would break the immersion for me big time. (And don't say it's too hard to animate whole arms following the hands, Inverse Kinematics is what should do the trick and it exists in the 3D CGI since forever.)

But that's all kinda too bad, as the VR as a concept seems very cool to me and I still have hopes for it. Guess we need to wait for better solutions to arrive. The current situation with the GPUs is probably not helping, as far as I understand the VR needs rather beefy graphics card to work.

Kope

Artist?
Gotta agree. From my perspective it costs an arm and a leg, but does it offer that much in the end?... Also why these VR games/whatever (at least those I've ran into by accident on YT) all need to use disembodied pair of hands floating in the air?... It would break the immersion for me big time. (And don't say it's too hard to animate whole arms following the hands, Inverse Kinematics is what should do the trick and it exists in the 3D CGI since forever.)

But that's all kinda too bad, as the VR as a concept seems very cool to me and I still have hopes for it. Guess we need to wait for better solutions to arrive. The current situation with the GPUs is probably not helping, as far as I understand the VR needs rather beefy graphics card to work.
It’s not very comfortable to use either as some have mentioned. So I feel like when they get rid of that weight and make it more like putting on sunglasses it will pop off.

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
The technology is an interesting one for sure that I will be watching. It is however at the current date not something I am interested in. If they can add some sort of input like that of a keyboard and mouse(which probably won't come for another decade or more) be it through reading your eye movement or something it can take off. Imagine playing games like World of Warcraft or other MMORPG's in full 3D and without having to flail your limbs around with controllers in your hands like a complete fucking moron. Would be a cool experience even if it could end up a short one.

LameFox

Yeah, controllers are a big drawback to me as well. Gloves I could do, limited head tracking while otherwise using pc normally I could do. Controllers just seem like some clunky intermediate phase the tech is going through.

Kope

Artist?
The technology is an interesting one for sure that I will be watching. It is however at the current date not something I am interested in. If they can add some sort of input like that of a keyboard and mouse(which probably won't come for another decade or more) be it through reading your eye movement or something it can take off. Imagine playing games like World of Warcraft or other MMORPG's in full 3D and without having to flail your limbs around with controllers in your hands like a complete fucking moron. Would be a cool experience even if it could end up a short one.
I actually think PSVR 2 has eye tracking if I remember right.

Kope

Artist?
Yeah, controllers are a big drawback to me as well. Gloves I could do, limited head tracking while otherwise using pc normally I could do. Controllers just seem like some clunky intermediate phase the tech is going through.
I think meta/Facebook made some vr gloves. Although I hate them as a company they have done much for innovation in the vr world.

LameFox

I think meta/Facebook made some vr gloves. Although I hate them as a company they have done much for innovation in the vr world.
There are some out there, yeah. I've not really found it appealing enough in general to look into how far along they are, but normally when I see VR games and apps it seems like controllers are still the default.

Facebook makes me laugh with how they're somehow into VR but also putting out the most cringe inducing, offputting marketing possible. I guess that's what you get when a rich guy with the personality of stale bread decides his company should buy more interesting ones.

Just like a few years ago I think the main take still remains:

-It needs to get cheaper(Both acquiring a headset and running it smoothly hardware requirement wise)
-VR Displays/panels need to get even better still
-Chicken and an egg sort of thing where more high budget and bigger teams need to develop for it, but the userbase and profit isn't there yet.

If however it was as cheap to get a hold of a good headset for 200-300 bucks new, and they were as good or better than a vive and a great deal more high quality games to get I do believe it would look different. A big snag however still is that games made with a controller or keyboard and mouse in mind, in many times will not work or play the same with a headset.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
There are some out there, yeah. I've not really found it appealing enough in general to look into how far along they are, but normally when I see VR games and apps it seems like controllers are still the default.
And a lot of VR games that use controllers don't have a use for more than one grip button at present. I have one of the sets of controllers that recognizes individual fingers (the Index controllers) and I have to wear fingerless gloves during VR gaming because (a) my ceiling is too low and (b) there's too MUCH sensitivity in my fingers with the way I grip normally unless I cover a lot of the finger's space.

Haptic gloves may be in my future when I have a place with a higher ceiling, and I'll be glad when they're more widely accepted as a substitute for controllers.

Also why these VR games/whatever (at least those I've ran into by accident on YT) all need to use disembodied pair of hands floating in the air?
When you remove the "too difficult to animate" part, I actually think one of the main reasons for the "Rayman approach", so to speak, is visibility. Hands take up a LOT less visual real estate than fully-animated arms do, and in first-person that can actually matter much more than you'd think.

Christine Vulpes

SnowFox or NoFox
I think its time will come but we are still in the teething period.
People forget that VR tech demos started in the 80s and had salable tech in the early 90s both for games, press launches, and workstations.

The hurdles I personally see are all purely technical still:
  • Us glasses wearers are usually left out in the cold
  • processing power is always holding you back in everything
  • trying to capture human head movement/tracking and playing a rendered image back in real time is hard ( humans never stand still, get it wrong and make it too still and it looks fake, get it wrong the other direction and the movement is too much or jerky and not granular enough and it becomes offputting)
  • uncanny valley affects more than just human faces : the closer you get to reality, and miss being perfect, the more glaring minor errors become. Humans are not good number crunchers, but are dang good comparators and can find faults and errors even if they cannot actually identify what it is they subconciously reject it..
  • game mechanics are centered about specific input devices (mouse, keyboard, controller) rather than a human being and until we change that game play always seems a little clumsy to me in VR - games made for VR often have to be dumbed down in some capacity. A lot of them are on rails shooters still...same as the 1990s arcades

that said there are other areas where its pretty helful and useful :
  • Cad Design has used VR in some for or another since the 90's
  • remote robotic surgery uses VR or very heavily augmented AR to give you all sorts of information above what you might actually be able to see naked eye, and gives you more control and precision + accuracy.
  • if you count augmented reality, then basically every drone with a camera that gives you a HUD counts

Kope

Artist?
I just read this as "what's the consensus of war" and I thought that's funny.

VR is still relatively new. In my opinion, it's going to get better and better as time goes on. I for one would love to have a VR racing simulator, or a flight simulator, or some crazy platformer like CS 1.6 jump maps.
I’m gonna need a doggy bag if those get developed