• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the scariest horror game you've played?

Adrianfolf

SH2&3 scared the shit out of me. The Dead Space Demo also scared me because of the enemy in the hallway playing dead. FEAR Extraction point scared the shit out of me. DOOM3 Scared me thanks the many blind corners and hidden archways.Penumbra Overture scared me the first time I played (Never finished it cause it bored me quickly). RE3 has scared me multiple times thanks to Nemesis running at me and appearing when I least expect it. RE4 has managed to make me just a few times. RE2 made me jump once or twice. Thats about all I can think of right now

Kaine Wuff

Half-Life scared me into not playing beyond the first few zombie encounters. Never been that scared by a game since. Then again, I was 9 at the time...

I actually recently played through HL for the first time, due to someone gifting me it. I feel all grown up now... >.>

Jaden

That is irrelevant

Nyloc

Evil villain
Never really scared by Bioshock, jumped yeah, but not scared. I found Fear to give me a sort of foreboding panic when the screen distorts, Dead Space made me jump and terrified of the next fright around the corner (plus the vacuum levels were a silent nightmare) and I freaked out a few times playing Metro 2033. I can never play a scary game in the light, it just ruins the atmosphere for me.

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
I can't actually ever remember having been scared by a horror game, aside from small, cheap things like jump-out enemies and stuff like that. All the games that I've played that were advertised as super freaky psychological thrillers have turned out all limp-dick and disappointing, especially Bioshock and the Silent Hill series. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is probably the one game that came the closest to actually being genuinely scary for me. Everything about the game (Aside from the voice acting) was very convincing and immersive, and the enemies were just crafty enough to have me constantly checking everywhere to make sure one doesn't jump out at me.

Kaine Wuff

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl is probably the one game that came the closest to actually being genuinely scary for me. Everything about the game (Aside from the voice acting) was very convincing and immersive, and the enemies were just crafty enough to have me constantly checking everywhere to make sure one doesn't jump out at me.

Shadow of Chernobyl was the only one in recent memory that got me jumpy too. The first scene near Agroprom, with the underground bunker? Just the lighting, the mood, and the meeting of your first real mutants and new anomalies got really intense. X-18 was very creepy as well.

This all reminds me that I have yet to finish the game though, hmm...

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
Shadow of Chernobyl was the only one in recent memory that got me jumpy too. The first scene near Agroprom, with the underground bunker? Just the lighting, the mood, and the meeting of your first real mutants and new anomalies got really intense. X-18 was very creepy as well.

This all reminds me that I have yet to finish the game though, hmm...

Grab the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete 2009 mod from [here] if you ever start it again. It tweaks the game to make everything a helluvalot better.(And you can also get an optional add-on that makes your weapons fire more realistically, as in, YOU CAN FINALLY ACTUALLY HIT THE STUFF YOU'RE AIMING AT)

Kaine Wuff

Grab the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete 2009 mod from [here] if you ever start it again. It tweaks the game to make everything a helluvalot better.(And you can also get an optional add-on that makes your weapons fire more realistically, as in, YOU CAN FINALLY ACTUALLY HIT THE STUFF YOU'RE AIMING AT)

Will do, looks like quite the amazing overhaul mod. I'm surprised I didn't bother looking for something like this before actually.

Kirbizard

Kamikaze Kirby
Shadow Man on the PC. The music for the Asylum Playrooms pretty much sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ws1ROUmYdw
It was on the N64 too, but that underwent so much editing it's nowhere near as freaky as the PC.

I don't really know what it is that does it for me, but when I play or see videos of a few of those old games, even the ones that aren't even meant to be scary, I actually start losing my breath a little. Maybe it's because the graphics and sounds are so abstract and unnatural. Or maybe it's because so many of them involve unbeatable enemies who will try to hunt you down.
This reminds me of why I don't noclip in many videogames unless I'm familiar with the map, the infinite blackness beyond the map is damn creepy.
Also material errors in Source games, that creeps the hell out of me far more than Silent Hill.

ZiggyTheWolf

Waking up to a dream
The Penumbra series hands down,
So immersive and to help the immersion it all plays out in real time
and its quite possible to complete both games in the one sitting which
once you get to the end of it you feel so incredibly depleted which makes
it truly an unforgetable experience but remember play it with the lights off
at night with the sound up nice and loud and a sub woofer right infront of you.

A night one shall never forget.

For old school scares i'd say that IHNMAIMS (I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream)
isnt so much scary as just disturbing.

Last edited:

Maddawg

Singing fanatic
First Resi because of the camera angles.

Olaunn

Big Dum Dum
Everyday life. I play it all the time and it scares the living shit out of me every second. I love it!

RainLyre

Devilishly handsome
Siren had me so scared I was afraid to move at all. The zombies themselves kind of ruined it though...

X

Xaybiance

Dead Space hands down (and maybe Silent Hill: Homecoming, everyother Silent Hill wasn't as scary o..o). No other game made me just in my chair and make me want to AND not want to play it at the same time.

I

Ishnuvalok

While Complete 2009 is a great mod, I'd further recommend L.U.R.K.

Grab 1.05 though, I've heard 1.1 kinda sucks.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk

D

Don

I'm not much of a fan of horror games, but I'd give my vote to Condemned Criminal Origins. Everything about the game was scary or unsettling; the lighting, the sound, the buildings, the enemies, and even the music. I damn near messed myself at the 'Tibits scene.'

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
While Complete 2009 is a great mod, I'd further recommend L.U.R.K.

Grab 1.05 though, I've heard 1.1 kinda sucks.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk
The latest L.U.R.K. was a pile of crap, and made the game borderline unplayable. I get that they were trying to focus on survival, which was originally the main focus of the game, but upping the realism to the degree that the L.U.R.K. mod is attempting to do just won't work unless the game switches to a better engine. STALKER's weak point is that the engine creates far too many situations that are just plain unfair and difficult to get out of, due to it's AI and combat code. All L.U.R.K. does is make the engine's AI and combat flaws even more present and annoying.

Last edited:

8-bit

All the games that I've played that were advertised as super freaky psychological thrillers have turned out all limp-dick and disappointing, especially Bioshock and the Silent Hill series.

Silent Hill isn't limp-dick >:/

Try playing the REmake of RE1

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
Silent Hill isn't limp-dick >:/

Try playing the REmake of RE1

Silent Hill was and is absolutely limp-dick. I like the series for it's storytelling, creature design and puzzle aspects, but no aspect of the game frightens me in the least.
Zombies never have and never will scare me.

8-bit

Silent Hill was and is absolutely limp-dick. I like the series for it's storytelling, creature design and puzzle aspects, but no aspect of the game frightens me in the least.
Zombies never have and never will scare me.

No its not. Just because it doesn't scare you, doesn't mean it's limp

They will when you have to put them down twice. The second time, they fucking sprint at you

Last edited:

Ro4dk1ll

Wigger.
No its not. Just because it doesn't scare you, doesn't mean it's limp

They will when you have to put them down twice. The second time, the fucking sprint at you

Keep in mind that that was my personal descriptor for my experience with the game, and I'm not attempting to impose my opinion onto you in any way whatsoever.
That sounds like a pretty crappy shock gameplay mechanism, as well, and would be more likely to make me go "Haha, it thinks it's scary" than actually be frightened by it.