• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the scariest nightmare you've had?

Beatle9

Asexual coywolf and amateur writer.
I love hearing stories about dreams people have had, and I love horror. So let's combine the two; what nightmare still disturbs you just thinking about it?

Mine probably doesn't sound that interesting at first. I can't exactly remember what led up to this, but in the dream I was being chased by this Freddy Krueger-like figure. But believe it or not that wasn't the scary part. You know how in a lot of nightmares when something in the dream "shocks" you, you'll wake up, like if you "die" in the dream. Well that happened to me about 5 or 6 times and I wouldn't wake up.

The thing is, I figured out it was a dream at some point and was trying to wake myself up, to the point where I tried deliberately "killing myself" to try and wake up...but it didn't work. I would essentially just "restart" back to an earlier point in the dream and it would start all over. I wasn't just scared of the figure stalking me in the dream, I was scared for my physical self, the real me that was sleeping. I was worried I might have gone into a coma and couldn't wake up or something! I was self-aware in this dream, and I wanted to wake up, but couldn't! I had become aware that I was in dreams before, and had woken myself up, but this time I was essentially "locked in."

Eventually I finally woke up on my own, with out being "shocked" I just woke up in the morning.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Probably the scariest ones for me are the ones that relate perfectly to my situations. A year ago, I was stuck in my room again like I had in the past, basically bumming out and trying to silence my problems. It drove me nuts internally, made me aggravated yet very internal about my feelings. One day I had a dream that I was doing stuff on the computer while listening to music, as usual. I hear talking of my parents in the living room, yet the house goes dark when I look outside my room, nothing but silence and myself. It's like it was telling me my problem. The voices I needed so dearly in my life were shunned by my incapacity to reach for them at the time. The dream made me feel exposed and uneasy, and thusly made me stay in my room. That dream was creepy, yet meant a LOT to me.

D

Deleted member 82554

One night, I had a nightmare about becoming a furry, a few years later, that nightmare came true. I know, spooky, right?

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Probably not the worst nightmare i've ever had but the most vivid and freaky was one where... -How do i put this?
You know how your dreams are about things YOU KNOW? You can only dream about things you've experienced yourself or at least have a rough idea how they work. You don't dream in Russian if you don't speak Russian. You can't dream about nuclear physics if you don't even now where to start. You can't know things you don't know. Events, sounds, songs, sights, smells and other senses, stuff like that. For instance if you've never heard gunfire in real waking life, any gunfure you hear in your dreams is going to sound like gunfire in movies or other fiction you're familiar. if you've never seen what the inside of an open box looked like, there's no way its contents would look accurate in your dreams. if you saw what it actually looked like after the dream, there's no way it'd be accurate.

You see where i'm going with this?

So anyway, i had a nightmare that i was working with the forklift at work and for some reason a co-worker stepped under my forks, i dropped the load and flattened him. The sound made, the gore i saw and the general scene wasn't like anything you'd see in a movie. it was so much more...real. Meanwhile, another co-worker up in the steel racks, as a blind reaction to help, jumped off the top steel (about 30ft.) and landed with a bone-shattering crunch. Again, the sound, the site, the reaction, the cries of pain sounded sooooo much real than any scene in a movie. No hokey stock sound effects, no obviously-fake blood, no canned Wilhelm screams or cheesy effects. i experienced the whole thing as though it actually happened. -And to be clear, i've never witnessed an accident like that. i've never seen blood'n'guts like that, not even in movies. i've never heard screams as gurgly and real as those in my dream. No movie director alive would see any merit or value in composing such a scene, not even Tarantino.

The nightmare fucked me up. i dropped out of forklift duty for just that week but i haven't driven it since. i haven't had an reason to drive it since and i'll be the last person to volunteer for it.

One night, I had a nightmare about becoming a furry, a few years later, that nightmare came true. I know, spooky, right?
if you yiff in your dream, you yiff for real!

M

modfox

seeing my self in the mirror.

on a serious not. probably sleep paralisis. idk if it counts as a nightmare but its scary shit when it happens

M

modfox

I love hearing stories about dreams people have had, and I love horror. So let's combine the two; what nightmare still disturbs you just thinking about it?

Mine probably doesn't sound that interesting at first. I can't exactly remember what led up to this, but in the dream I was being chased by this Freddy Krueger-like figure. But believe it or not that wasn't the scary part. You know how in a lot of nightmares when something in the dream "shocks" you, you'll wake up, like if you "die" in the dream. Well that happened to me about 5 or 6 times and I wouldn't wake up.

The thing is, I figured out it was a dream at some point and was trying to wake myself up, to the point where I tried deliberately "killing myself" to try and wake up...but it didn't work. I would essentially just "restart" back to an earlier point in the dream and it would start all over. I wasn't just scared of the figure stalking me in the dream, I was scared for my physical self, the real me that was sleeping. I was worried I might have gone into a coma and couldn't wake up or something! I was self-aware in this dream, and I wanted to wake up, but couldn't! I had become aware that I was in dreams before, and had woken myself up, but this time I was essentially "locked in."

Eventually I finally woke up on my own, with out being "shocked" I just woke up in the morning.
you had your self a lucid dream

sorrry for the double post

Beatle9

Probably not the worst nightmare i've ever had but the most vivid and freaky was one where... -How do i put this?
You know how your dreams are about things YOU KNOW? You can only dream about things you've experienced yourself or at least have a rough idea how they work. You don't dream in Russian if you don't speak Russian. You can't dream about nuclear physics if you don't even now where to start. You can't know things you don't know. Events, sounds, songs, sights, smells and other senses, stuff like that. For instance if you've never heard gunfire in real waking life, any gunfure you hear in your dreams is going to sound like gunfire in movies or other fiction you're familiar. if you've never seen what the inside of an open box looked like, there's no way its contents would look accurate in your dreams. if you saw what it actually looked like after the dream, there's no way it'd be accurate.

You see where i'm going with this?

So anyway, i had a nightmare that i was working with the forklift at work and for some reason a co-worker stepped under my forks, i dropped the load and flattened him. The sound made, the gore i saw and the general scene wasn't like anything you'd see in a movie. it was so much more...real. Meanwhile, another co-worker up in the steel racks, as a blind reaction to help, jumped off the top steel (about 30ft.) and landed with a bone-shattering crunch. Again, the sound, the site, the reaction, the cries of pain sounded sooooo much real than any scene in a movie. No hokey stock sound effects, no obviously-fake blood, no canned Wilhelm screams or cheesy effects. i experienced the whole thing as though it actually happened. -And to be clear, i've never witnessed an accident like that. i've never seen blood'n'guts like that, not even in movies. i've never heard screams as gurgly and real as those in my dream. No movie director alive would see any merit or value in composing such a scene, not even Tarantino.

The nightmare fucked me up. i dropped out of forklift duty for just that week but i haven't driven it since. i haven't had an reason to drive it since and i'll be the last person to volunteer for it.
I had a similar nightmare in high school, that I only remembered after reading your post. In high school I used to take a class where we would go and volunteer at hospitals. I had a nightmare one night that during one of the days we were volunteering, a man with an assault rifle came in and started gunning down people throughout the hospital.

I ended up hiding under one of the tables. I remember seeing his legs as he came into the room, and hearing the deafening shots from his rifle, the puddles of blood growing larger the longer the bodies of the people he shot stayed there. The dream ended when he walked over to the table I was hiding under, knowing I was there, moving the table and shooting me point blank in the face.

I remember debating whether or not pretending to be sick that morning, because we were supposed to go to the hospital that day. I was worried it was some kind of premonition. I ended up going anyway, and thankfully nothing happened.

But yeah, the sounds and the blood was just too real. That's why I was so torn on whether or not to go that day. Being in a mass shooting is one of my biggest fears, and that dream only intensified that.

Beatle9

you had your self a lucid dream

sorrry for the double post
Isn't a lucid dream one in which you can manipulate the dream itself? I may have been aware that I was dreaming, but I had no control over what was happening.

A

Andromedahl

I had this dream where there was this 'man' who was just skin and flesh who would hunt and kill people for their skeletons and use the skeleton has his own, but the bones would wear down and crumble over time so he'd have to hunt down the right people with the right skeleton; He chose me and I managed to cut a deal where I'd help him find a suitable replacement so I could be spared, but I had to not tell anyone about the skeleton snatcher dude's existence.

I ended up pussying out after pointing him in the right direction and told people about it, got put back on his hit list, and spent the rest of the dream being hunted down while trying to save the dude who I put the hit on originally.

Beatle9

I had this dream where there was this 'man' who was just skin and flesh who would hunt and kill people for their skeletons and use the skeleton has his own, but the bones would wear down and crumble over time so he'd have to hunt down the right people with the right skeleton; He chose me and I managed to cut a deal where I'd help him find a suitable replacement so I could be spared, but I had to not tell anyone about the skeleton snatcher dude's existence.

I ended up pussying out after pointing him in the right direction and told people about it, got put back on his hit list, and spent the rest of the dream being hunted down while trying to save the dude who I put the hit on originally.
That would make a terrifying horror story/movie!

-Praydeth-

The Trickster coyote.
Oh my god it would take all day to say everything.

Ill put it short Native american Cthulhu mythos where those captured had there heads molted to deer skulls and vomited blood that sat like a film over the bayou water.

XenoQc

Changing
In my nightmare I was chasing a galactic criminal and everytime I was landing a planet it was too late. Everyone was dead. Bodies everywhere. Children, babies all cold all over the place. I kept running after him but never reach. The nightmare itself wasn't that bad but it was when I woke up after the worst. I felt really scared like shit because that kind of stuff happens. I've been through it in the past and since I don't want to live it again...

S

Sergei Sóhomo

Never really anything outright horrifying, but as a kid I'd always be afraid of darkness and mirrors so I'd try my best to avoid them

A

Alstren

I was dizzy and disorientated on the floor of a poorly lit gas station restroom completely naked and covered in blood. Also I couldn't move my jaw so I managed to struggle to climb up to the sink and look in the mirror only to see that my jaw was dislocated. I then started trying to scream but got interrupted when my jaw started shifting around in awkward positions and my teeth started falling out in the sink with bits of gum. I woke up screaming.

Royn

Otterest Sergal evah!
Had a horrible dream about being trapped in a jungle where everything was trying to envenomate/eat and/or lay eggs in me and there was this huge scary red centipede crawling all over, then realized wasnt dreaming. It was a nightmare. There were also poop throwing monkeys.

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
A_groke.png

groke.jpg

You see this motherfucker right here? That's The Groke, from Moomin.

I've had countless nightmares, even as an adult, of her. Hell, I still do from time to time. Her... Atmosphere, her very existence still gives me shivers down my spine and goosebumps whenever I see her.

First nightmare I had was when I was like, 10, when I first watched Moomin, and the double-episode when she first appeared.

I dreamed that she attacked me, and as I get really cold(both in the dream, and when I woke up) as she embrace me, I wake up. Both my parents were standing next to my bed, wondering what's wrong. I had also wet my bed. Apparently, I was talking loudly in my sleep.

I've not wet my bed since, but she still creeps me the fuck out. Nothing gets even remotely close as to how... Scary something can be, even as an adult.

Last edited:

fallout19980

Just some guy writing stories and playing dota
As a kid I used to watch a lot of those B-movie horror films like Pumpkin Head, Dead Silence, Reeker, Feast and some of the After Dark Originals like Banshee or Husk. And The Gravedancers, Jesus Christ.
I was dreaming that I was at my grandparents' house. It was dark with the only illumination being the shines from the moonlight. It was , and still is, a very old house dating back from the second world war; a large part of the house interiors such as the basement were made out of crude limestone. I remember walking down the basement stairs, I could feel the flakiness of the walls as I touched them. I reached the bottom and turned back, and as I'm about to go up, I see this fucking thing starring right at me. Half of its face was visible, the other covered by darkness. Even though it was dark like hell, I saw how "crisp" he was, the texture of his skin, the stretched skin and muscle, the poking gums.
From what I remember, I gave out a strange noise that was something between a scream and shout. The only person who I woke up was my dad, he came to my room and was like. "Marty, are you okay?"
Don't watch too much horror films kiddies.
The-Gravedancers-horror-movies-27925229-500-273.jpg

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Welp, there was some night parade, and I was standing outside with some random people, then suddenly a very loud Nolan-esque sound, and the sky just "exploded" - like, burned itself. All the stars disappeared, there was just black void instead of sky, everybody started panicking, and I came to realization that everything's f*cked. That's the only nightmare I can remember that legitimaly scared the crap out of me.

drawain

Artist
I had reoccuring nightmares for 10 years of the same monsters again and again from childhood to my teens. Flying drones, shaped like alarmsirens like the E57. They'd get out of corners or shelves and slam into my sides or back causing pain as if someone doesn't stop tickling you, felt electrical. Really fucked up shit. They even interacted why my tries of waking up before and mocked me in response. (I can "contact" my eyelids and try to open them when I sleep. It will pull me out of sleep that way if I'm lucky.) These were the scariest. It interfered with my daily life heavily.

Then there's more usual shit, the world being erased by a god, litereally, similar to the "Langoliers". Nuclear apocalypse. Loosing teeth. Zombie apocalypse. Being shot. Loosing a loved one.
I also had dreams for a week where I'd dream of waking up multiple times. Trying to to find out the truth by interacting with the dream was very tricky!

I am happy the real scary shit stopped and being able to dream half-lucid and as feral dragon with very realistic feelings is making up for all the bullshit.

Last edited: