• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the story behind your fursona's name?

I wasn't sure exactly how to pose this question, but it'd be kinna cool to see/hear the story on how people chose their fursona's name (and ultimately what it means to them)!

For a quick example, my fursona's name is Ricin. And to be honest, my best friend (who is also a furry and got me into the furry fandom to begin with) is named Cyanide. After awhile of thinking about names, I just decided to google a list of the world's deadliest poisons. Low and behold, Ricin was on the list. But before picking it, I was in debate between Ricin and Strychinine. So then I texted a friend of mine asking,

"Hey, so I'm looking for a name for my fursona. Does Ricin or Strychinine sound better?"

To which he replied,

"Ricin!"

So BAM! That's pretty much how I got my name. As far as what it means to me, well... that I'm not really sure about. I mean it's not like it /doesn't/ mean anything to me, it's just kind of... *shrugs* I'm not really sure.

So, anyone else?

P.S> I guess if I /really/ wanted to get into this, I guess you could share how your fursona got their name (you picking it in real life or whatever) *or* I guess whatever your fursona's canon is.

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
Well, "Sepp" was what my grandma always called me as a kid (well, that and "Seppi"), apparently it's little more in reality than a German shortform for Joseph, but I just always thought it sounded cool. His last name is Schneider, which is literally German for a tailor, but the root is "schneiden", which means to cut or sever, so it was a reference to his bipolar disorder and his severe depression, as in the whole "cutter" thing...even though he has never cut...plus alliteration is cool, and you could throw in a Nazi/Slayer reference into him with his "SS" initials.

@sniperfreak223 wow, that's actually pretty neat ^^! Now I feel all obsolete XD.
@Hewge Nice xP.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
It took me forever to name mine. I eventually decided with Leora. Leo for lion (bravery and pride) and ra to make it sound feminine.

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
Mr Sparta is my reddit username, but before that, I based it off of my love for 300 (and the obligatory meme.) Hell, in my Ocarina of Time save, I named my Link "SPARTAAAA" which lead to various instances of hilarity. I also use this as a way of making myself less recognizable or traceable. On other sites when I was younger I used my last name for a username, and that joining an internet community with that kind of name will result in... Unwanted situations (I was an idiot, and probably still am)

Since my sona is pretty flat, I thought that using my username here for the gator's alias was not such a bad idea.

Madness?

No...
THIS IS SPARTAAAA!!!

SierraCanine

Wolves unite..... oO CHICKEN!!
My GSD Fursona's name came about whilst searching the vast caverns of my brain, and not finding anything turning to the world of music. I came upon a song I really liked and had been working to choreograph a bit too and then BAM!!! It hit me like a brick wall, FIREFLY! I'll just use the same name as the song and well.... it kinda stuck. Even went so far as to give him a tattoo that is his name in Japanese Kanji on his thigh after a week or so.... really the final clincher for me ^~^ To me his name represents a free spirit, one that is not only not afraid of the dark but someone who shines just for he hell of it. I better stop before I get all theoretical :V

It took me forever to name mine. I eventually decided with Leora. Leo for lion (bravery and pride) and ra to make it sound feminine.

That's awesome :D. It's always really cool to find people whose names have some meaning like that :3

My GSD Fursona's name came about whilst searching the vast caverns of my brain, and not finding anything turning to the world of music. I came upon a song I really liked and had been working to choreograph a bit too and then BAM!!! It hit me like a brick wall, FIREFLY! I'll just use the same name as the song and well.... it kinda stuck. Even went so far as to give him a tattoo that is his name in Japanese Kanji on his thigh after a week or so.... really the final clincher for me ^~^ To me his name represents a free spirit, one that is not only not afraid of the dark but someone who shines just for he hell of it. I better stop before I get all theoretical :V

That's pretty cool too ^^! haha it's okay xD.

Mr Sparta is my reddit username, but before that, I based it off of my love for 300 (and the obligatory meme.) Hell, in my Ocarina of Time save, I named my Link "SPARTAAAA" which lead to various instances of hilarity. I also use this as a way of making myself less recognizable or traceable. On other sites when I was younger I used my last name for a username, and that joining an internet community with that kind of name will result in... Unwanted situations (I was an idiot, and probably still am)

Since my sona is pretty flat, I thought that using my username here for the gator's alias was not such a bad idea.

Madness?

No...
THIS IS SPARTAAAA!!!

I'm super tempted to wanna say "THIS IS SPARTAAAA!" but you took the opportunity xD. You at least get some infamy for having your username as Sparta though xP

Zan'theros

Fiery Wanderer
Might want to avoid multiple posts in a row in the future. It's bad forum etiquette.

For my own name, I'll just copy-paste from another thread, if you don't mind.

Zan'theros said:
I found the name Zan'theros by getting a rudimentary understanding of draconic language (or one dialect of it, anyway). It's defined as 'fiery wanderer', and with his history of searching the world for a purpose in life, combined with his flaming red-and-gold-flecked scales, it's a very apt moniker.

Its full definition is something like 'honourable wandering brother of flame'.

The 'za' on its own means honour, but add an 'n' to apply that trait to a male individual, making 'zan' mean honourable male. When separated by an apostrophe, its meaning changes from 'male' to 'brother'. 'Ther' means fire, and 'ros' translates as wander, so 'theros' means 'wandering flame'. Combining both 'zan' and 'theros' in a single word melds all of these definitions to create 'honourable wandering brother of flame'. However, it can be abbreviated to simply 'fiery wanderer'.

Krysch

My name, and names I come up with in general usually just boil down to me sitting down and something popping into my head that feels right, nothing much more than that.

I do seem to have a tendency towards the letter K for starting names though.

@ Zan'theros Oops, sorry >< . and nope, I don't mind at all~. That's pretty awesome though :)
@Krysch That's normally the same for me, I'll just google names usually and pick something that just seems to stick. I love the letter S, R, L for a certain reason D:

Huh, I'll keep tabs on you in case I need any good names for a novel or something xP! In which case, I might actually need some names due to a novel I'm currently working on... D:

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
Cali was taken from the name of the ice lolly, Calippo, on a day when I ate one of these and remembered my childhood fondly, and shared that day with my best friend and overall, it was a great day. So I wanted to capture that in my 'sona's name.

Raykus as a last name was a bastardisation of the word 'gyrate', which was originally inspired from the word 'twist', from the ice lolly Twister, which my ex had sugested I try. Since I liked the ice lolly after trying it, and I was so in love with the guy, again I wanted to incorporate the word.

Isto as a middle name was me trying to play on the name Callisto, as putting the two names together becomes Cali Isto, which when said aloud almost sounds like it.

TheRH100

阴茎 :V
I got the first name from the fact that my real name starts with an R (not sayin' hehe) so that came to my head. Then I thought it would be cool to have a Japanese last name, I was thinking of stuff, then, because of whatever the hell I was on, I use big butt of all combinations of two words. I've been regretting this since February. But hey, Kyojiri now has two meanings, one in kanji, the other in katakana.

So yeah, I'm gonna be a terrible parent if I named one of my kids like Ryan Kyojiri.

@Alexxx; Sweet :).
@TheRH100; I'm tempted to ask you now what those two meanings are, you've piqued my curiosity xP

DeCatt

Parking Lot Enthusiast
Irony or something. I thought I'd make up a stereotypical feline name (Leonardo DeCatt) and then give it to a dog. Hilarity ensues.

Zabrina

Awoken
I named mine Holly many years ago because that was the name of all my black-furred emo characters.

W

Weiss

Sadly due to my lack of imagination unt my already "cool" name...
My fursona's name unt my real name are one in the same. Lucius Savage.
Lucius translating to light-bearer and Savage being my/it's nature is one way to look at it.
My fursona being a kitsune barghest, it already seems to be a malicious malevolence being.
But in the end the name fit unt I'm pretty awful at naming things so my name was his.

RockerFox

Meat Popsicle
My freshmen year in high school, the computer design room had call of duty on the pc's and we all made different names. I usually went by Captain Fox(Now part of my band name) then during my sophomore year I got and X-Box and needed a gamer tag. I still wanted "Fox" somewhere in the name but I wanted it to roll of the tongue, not necessarily rhyme but sound cool and be original. Eventually I decided on RockerFox96, after getting into the Guardians of the Galaxy comics at the time and I thought RocketFox was to close to Rocket Raccoon, so I swapped out the t for an r and became RockerFox96. At the school I started going by RockerFox69; due to slight immaturity; then to RockerFox96, for the year if my birth, and then finally to just RockerFox. Near the end of my Junior year I became a furry and needed a name, the rest is history.

My freshmen year in high school, the computer design room had call of duty on the pc's and we all made different names. I usually went by Captain Fox(Now part of my band name) then during my sophomore year I got and X-Box and needed a gamer tag. I still wanted "Fox" somewhere in the name but I wanted it to roll of the tongue, not necessarily rhyme but sound cool and be original. Eventually I decided on RockerFox96, after getting into the Guardians of the Galaxy comics at the time and I thought RocketFox was to close to Rocket Raccoon, so I swapped out the t for an r and became RockerFox96. At the school I started going by RockerFox69; due to slight immaturity; then to RockerFox96, for the year if my birth, and then finally to just RockerFox. Near the end of my Junior year I became a furry and needed a name, the rest is history.

Creative! Immature near the beginning, but creative nonetheless xD. So what got you into being a furry? For me, I'm not really sure where it started, outside of wearing my tail I bought the start of my Senior year of High school, but I've always loved wolves. I kinna stopped drawing them throughout high school and then BOOM I became a furry just this past summer xD

RockerFox

Meat Popsicle
Creative! Immature near the beginning, but creative nonetheless xD. So what got you into being a furry? For me, I'm not really sure where it started, outside of wearing my tail I bought the start of my Senior year of High school, but I've always loved wolves. I kinna stopped drawing them throughout high school and then BOOM I became a furry just this past summer xD
A friend of mine always wore this wolf tail. One day I asked him why, he said that he was a furry. I asked them what furries were, I related to most of the stuff he explained, and soon enough I was walking around school with a fox tail clipped on. That and the kicker for being a furry was my love of anthro, mostly in the cartoons I grew up with.