• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's the worst job you've ever had?

ScrubWolf

*snip*
Worst part had to be working on the returns counter and trying to explain the awful "NO REFUNDS FOR YOU" policy to upset/enraged customers. On the top floor.
*snip*

I was always amazed at the number of people that can't comprehend a return policy. What's not to understand about a policy that states: Refunds require a receipt, and no returns after 30 days? It's printed on the God Damned receipt! We would have people try to return stolen goods without receipts all the time; and we had people try to return things that were several years old expecting cash in return.

Oh, and some days they wouldn't call/text me that they were overstaffed and couldn't pay me, so I would get the half six bus to get there only to be told to go home. FFFFFFFFFFF--

Can they legally do that over there? I know here in the states if this were to happen 1) the company would be liable to pay something, maybe not for the whole shift, but at least something; 2) I would go up to who ever is in change and tell them which way to orient my job and how far to cram it in thier ass. <-- this is essentially how I quit the last time I quit a job.

Last edited:

KatmanDu

Squeezing the Charmin
Haven't had too many bad ones. Worst from a personal safety standpoint was as a millwright's assistant (read: non-union unskilled labor) at a pulpmill. I lost track of the number of ways I could have died on that job; but it was college break temporary work. The most memorable moment was while changing out sawblades on the saw deck- a 20 by 80 foot raised metal platform with slits cut width-wise onto which the fresh logs were dumped. 10 foot diameter circular saw blades came up through the slits, cutting the logs to size before they were dumped on a conveyor bound for the debarking drum. I was standing on the deck, straddling one of the slits and lowering a chain from a hoist through it so another worker could unbolt the blade and hook it to the chain. As I'm standing there, staring at the blade between my legs, I began wondering if anyone had locked out the power to the saws. That's how most of their accidents happen, no one shut off the power to something and it turns on.

Second worse was for sheer boredom. Nighttime security guard at a plant in the middle of nowhere that didn't have a 3rd shift. I sat in a little hut at the edge of the empty parking lot staring at a field of sorghum for twelve hours. In the days before cheap laptops and wireless internet, it meant that you'd better have a lot of books to read.

Rhyolite

Sorting bleach bottles before they were filled with bleach, that took one day, I mean, minimum wage and each bottle was the same, the reject and approved bottles were identical... Also worked with filling a bath of trichloromethane with springs to degrease them, that made me feel all forms of odd, the fumes made me have some pretty weird dreams, not just when I was was sleeping!

seabeard

What?
Oh, and some days they wouldn't call/text me that they were overstaffed and couldn't pay me, so I would get the half six bus to get there only to be told to go home. FFFFFFFFFFF--

I worked at a Long John Silver's for a few months and they did this same thing to me! It's so ridiculous, I'd get there and the manager would just say "Oh we don't need you, and can't pay you for being here. Go home." He was the biggest jerk. On my last day he was so happy and sent me home after only being there 30 minutes.

The worst part were the horrors of cleaning the bathroom in that place. Oh god the smells. Sometimes they were so bad your eyes would burn.

Geek

Chico
Snow plower:
snow-plowtruck.jpg

security guard for a parking lot (little fucking stalls) in mid january.

I arrested a bank thief that assaulted me with a Rambo knife... So used my taser gun.

Snow plower & Security = Very dangerous jobs

Last edited:

Geek

Chico
Working in a hog barn. Not only was there ALOT of fecal matter but to kill the sick pigs we had to bash their heads against the floor til they died. One time i had to kill so many that the hall and ceiling an I were all covered in blood. WORST job ever PERIOD.

All things considered, shit and blood should have been expected, especially if this was one of those infamous factory farms.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Contracted associate for an insurance sales agent. My pay was commission, not salary or wage, and I was old enough to be legal and young enough to be clueless, gullible, and naive. My saving graces were that my only expense at the time was car maintenance and fuel, and that my contract had a penalty-free escape clause.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
Fucking ouch

You've no idea. Part of my responsibilities later on was cold-calling the entire phone book. This was before any do-not-call lists.

ScrubWolf

My pay was commission, not salary or wage, *snip*

You've no idea. Part of my responsibilities later on was cold-calling the entire phone book. This was before any do-not-call lists.

I always called commissioned sales "feast or famine." business was never consistant. I absolutely hate cold calling. It suuuuuucks.

Last edited:

EinTheCorgi

Banned
Banned
Contracted associate for an insurance sales agent. My pay was commission, not salary or wage, and I was old enough to be legal and young enough to be clueless, gullible, and naive. My saving graces were that my only expense at the time was car maintenance and fuel, and that my contract had a penalty-free escape clause.

that sucks idk whats worse what happened to you or when Ren was sick and she puked in my mouth and i ended up swallowing it...yeah it was fucking nasty

moonchylde

He's like, this guy, you know?
Hmmm... I'd say it's a tie between washing dishes at a local steakhouse (the kitchen was so nasty the sink would regularly catch fire, and I never got paid for my last three weeks there), or the $8 an hour temp job at the chemical plant. I still have physical scars from that place, mainly because they never actually hooked up the safety showers to a water line. But the contact high was UNBELIBBABLE...

Field engineer. You have no idea how dirty some peoples houses are. Dog mess, fleas, old food, encrusted ciggy smoke, dead rodents, nasty dust (you know what makes up house dust) and bad attitude 'customers'. One tried to electricute me by turning on the power as I was fixing the mains socket. I was thrown back, but survived. Another 'customer' stored all his hair-combings in the bathtub and it looked like a wooly sheep in there (he did not bathe). Long hours, filthy houses, low pay.

EinTheCorgi

Banned
Banned
Field engineer. You have no idea how dirty some peoples houses are. Dog mess, fleas, old food, encrusted ciggy smoke, dead rodents, nasty dust (you know what makes up house dust) and bad attitude 'customers'. One tried to electricute me by turning on the power as I was fixing the mains socket. I was thrown back, but survived. Another 'customer' stored all his hair-combings in the bathtub and it looked like a wooly sheep in there (he did not bathe). Long hours, filthy houses, low pay.

you win heres your prize "hands you a lol cake"

cruncheweezy

Only Shark to ever have Lice
I was coerced into babysitting 7 monsters. They bit and kicked and screamed and punched and didn't behave and made a mess and I was in tears before the day was over. Almost drew blood, the little buggers. I know, I know... hazards of children... but these kids were horrendous. The ones that didn't try 'running away, (And of course, I had to chase after them, down the street. so they didn't get hit by a car.)' did everything they couldn't do when their parents weren't home. Ohhh the sticky ice cream mess. I went to change the youngest's diaper and came out and there were chocolate chips EVERYWHERE. Thank goodness there wasn't a dog there.
D:
Tl;Dr: Parents need to beat their children.

ChickO'Dee

ive never really had a "job" before. like..paid working job
but..
cleaning out a cricket cage for your lizard...seriously....gag worthy *shudders*

Zolen

Sanity? What's that?
worst job I ever had? Working at Walmart

Captain Spyro

Heart of the DragonStar
Can't say I've had a 'worse' job, yet. We'll see as the years go on though. This 23 year old still has plenty of years left in him.

EinTheCorgi

Banned
Banned
I was coerced into babysitting 7 monsters. They bit and kicked and screamed and punched and didn't behave and made a mess and I was in tears before the day was over. Almost drew blood, the little buggers. I know, I know... hazards of children... but these kids were horrendous. The ones that didn't try 'running away, (And of course, I had to chase after them, down the street. so they didn't get hit by a car.)' did everything they couldn't do when their parents weren't home. Ohhh the sticky ice cream mess. I went to change the youngest's diaper and came out and there were chocolate chips EVERYWHERE. Thank goodness there wasn't a dog there.
D:
Tl;Dr: Parents need to beat their children.

wow i think we need to compare baby sitting storys... it would be fun i think