• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's your job?

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Thanks. Not sure if I can handle 7+ hours of cargo/wares handling tho.

I kinda prefer a more quiet/relaxed and more intellectually stimulating job.

Also. What do you mean "I'm a marine biologist, apparently"? :p

You just went to work and go "Oh, shit. I guess I am a marine biologist" after a while? :p

Hah! Do not worry bro! When i was in slaughterhouse i was often working 12h a day 5 days a week in warehouse and let me tell you one thing.
If i could do this i am more than sure you can do it even better

Yakamaru

Cyberpunk musta Susi
Hah! Do not worry bro! When i was in slaughterhouse i was often working 12h a day 5 days a week in warehouse and let me tell you one thing.
If i could do this i am more than sure you can do it even better
Eh. I feel physically dead. Glad I am losing weight and working on getting some muscles, or I would quit after a week if this was a year ago. xD

If you want a stimulating job you might be able to get promoted up the chain to an administrative position. Or you could go to university and get a degree in a subject you find stimulating, with the hope of finding a job in that field.

I don't really feel like an actual 'marine biologist' because I actually trained as a geologist; so I'm something of a fish out of water. x3
Things sometimes go very differently to how you expect! But sometimes the surprises are nice.
Mhm, true. From a support department in a retail electronics store to warehouse. I didn't think I'd be working here, but eh. Life is weird that way.

I feel like a fish out of water too due to the physical requirements.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
Eh. I feel physically dead. Glad I am losing weight and working on getting some muscles, or I would quit after a week if this was a year ago. xD

Mhm, true. From a support department in a retail electronics store to warehouse. I didn't think I'd be working here, but eh. Life is weird that way.

I feel like a fish out of water too due to the physical requirements.

Before starting this job i was not in right form to do anything. Now my posture changed only a bit but i am able to lift 102kg anvil from ground without any problem. This job might help you with it

DecentBadger

Always looking for that raw aesthetic~
All these people in the thread with fairly good jobs makes me wonder what went right with you guys, so awesome job!

I currently work in retail, which is looked down upon because it's a dead-end job and I'm only getting a few hours a week, but I live with someone so it's only really important that I'm at least working. I have an associate's degree and a certificate in graphic design, but I also live somewhere super small where you really can't find anything with those degrees. It doesn't help that jobs that are heavy labor-based have caused me to have injuries I've seen doctors for and customer-facing jobs make it difficult to hide my anxiety issues, so I'm made to choose the lesser of 2 evils here.

I am still trying to do commissions for art and graphic design goodies. I've gone at it for 3 months but only got 4 clients so far (my boyfriend, my mom, her friend, and a tumblr friend), so hopefully I can get more in the future by taking different approaches. I hope for a day in the distant future where I can just work on my art for the rest of my life or at least work somewhere comfortable.

Last edited:

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
I'm a grad student studying computer engineering and machine learning. I should be getting my Master's after this semester and heading into the wild.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Gameplay and AI programmer

Galatur René

Pantsuit Batty Vampire Lady
Customer service representative in a customer satisfaction focused environment with the secondary call driver being connection speed (only really important for bonuses). The most important thing is that the customers are happy and that's what customer service should be about.
It's a great job. I'll get $500 worth of language reimbursements for learning other languages if I choose to learn such. That means hopefully I'll get to polish my French and ASL to perfection followed by learning Spanish.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
Grocery store cashier... but I have my own groupies. Customers willing to wait in my line just so I can pack their groceries. Even if my line is the long one. Though I've done everything from scrubbing toilets to aerospace composites. Lots of warehousing, as well. Earned praise and recommendations for my work. Though, yes, I've also been fired. Go fig.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I work in IT setting up computers, keeping them updated, etc. It's a fun and super easy job I love it. Long hours though 10 hours a day, four days a week.

I'm still in school trying to get a Bachelor's in Computer Science though, so this is really more of a summer job. Ideally I wanna be a programmer when I'm out.

Joni

I'm a hot dog
I'm not sure exactly what I am, but my diploma tells me I'm a designer. I work at home and I'm generally restoring damaged photos, creating some art for business cards, ads, book covers, CDs, DVDs, editing videos, drawing pencil portraits and earning extra income from original music streaming royalties and licensing. I'm also getting started with furry art commissions and plan to do music commissions soon.
You need a business card and instead of the job there's "I'm not sure exactly what I am" :D

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I take the skin off of apples with my teeth and then swap the skin with another apple's. When it gets to the store and you buy it, you don't even notice the difference!

I am terrified.

Zamietka

I'm not sure exactly what I am, but my diploma tells me I'm a designer. I work at home and I'm generally restoring damaged photos, creating some art for business cards, ads, book covers, CDs, DVDs, editing videos, drawing pencil portraits and earning extra income from original music streaming royalties and licensing. I'm also getting started with furry art commissions and plan to do music commissions soon.
ahh that would be a dream job of mine, except for the music part :3 restoring damaged photos sounds really cool too

well for now I'm just stuck behind receptionist desk, at least it pays relatively well for someone with no experience that does nothing

Dongding

The sheep
Perhaps a serious post?

I'm in Industrial Services. It's a broad term that encompasses the utilization of all sorts of specialized equipment to aid the SAGD bitumen production facility that contracts my company, make their bitumen/oil.

Generally (at least on this site) we deal with:

- Cleaning and removal of materials from vessels, systems, and the environment.

- Locating and daylighting utility lines buried underground that are too delicate to surface with heavy machinery.

- High pressure water blasting, and automated 3D-cleaning utilizing high pressure water or GAMA-jetting with chemicals to soften and remove debris where work conditions aren't reasonably safe enough for personnel to perform work.

- Venting/Purging/Vaccing sour/explosive materials and gasses from sour processes for maintenance once they are isolated from live systems.

- Scrubbing of sour gasses utilizing chemicals and an H2S Scrubbing unit.

- High pressure line moleing, stinging, pencil lining, and reeling to clear plugged lines.

- Moving solids and fluids around site utilizing vac trucks.

- Chemical injection cleaning of heat-exchangers and vapor systems using boiling hot corrosives. (My current job. I was recently promoted <3 I get to breathe air that doesn't come in a bottle now!)

Basically if it's poisonous, explosive, can cut you in half in the blink of an eye, dissolves you entirely while boiling your skin, sticky, slimy, or grungy: I'm your guy.

Another way to put it is if it's a problem in an oilsands plant and it isn't insulating, pipefitting, electrical work, high angle work, or radiology, my company is probably the solution. I guarantee I'll think of like 5 other things we do as soon as I post this reply, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

pandasayori

Dreaming Hobbyist
Retail worker who is mentally / emotionally exhausted with retail after nearly a year;;; Originally planned on being an assistant language teacher (ALT) in Japan after graduating college, but now I work retail. Currently saving up for certification course to teach English as a second language.

MadXStitcher

I do YouTube and Twitch. Last winter, I closed down a hobby shop I owned, because I wanted to focus less on selling hobbies and more on actually creating something, and moved to making videos full time.

It's the summer though, and this has historically been the toughest part of the year for me, video-production-wise. I just don't feel like sitting under hot lights for 12 hours a day, in a sweaty chair when it's 95° out. My CPU wants to melt, I want to melt, and nobody's happy. I've kind of put my streams on hiatus for the time being, and am relying on pre-recorded content to get me through July and August.

JinxiFox

Insanity can be such a beautiful thing.
Freelance designer and artist.
Current freelance gig is a NASA project.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
All these people in the thread with fairly good jobs makes me wonder what went right with you guys, so awesome job!

I currently work in retail, which is looked down upon because it's a dead-end job and I'm only getting a few hours a week, but I live with someone so it's only really important that I'm at least working. I have an associate's degree and a certificate in graphic design, but I also live somewhere super small where you really can't find anything with those degrees. It doesn't help that jobs that are heavy labor-based have caused me to have injuries I've seen doctors for and customer-facing jobs make it difficult to hide my anxiety issues, so I'm made to choose the lesser of 2 evils here.

I am still trying to do commissions for art and graphic design goodies. I've gone at it for 3 months but only got 4 clients so far (my boyfriend, my mom, her friend, and a tumblr friend), so hopefully I can get more in the future by taking different approaches. I hope for a day in the distant future where I can just work on my art for the rest of my life or at least work somewhere comfortable.
Good luck! I have two degrees—Graphic Design and Creative writing and English and guess where the majority of my work experience is? Retail. You know why I have a hard time finding "real" jobs?

Retail goes "why are you here with your education?" and things in my fields go "you don't have enough related experience." Except where I live isn't very...design or writing-centric. :/ Trust me, I have applied to every single one in the entire city. The closest people I can get to bite want me an hour and a half away, or to move to the capitol 2 hours away. If I'm moving two hours away I might as well move closer to my wife's family, where their town is so up and coming you basically shout out the window for a job and you'll get one apparently. Seriously I visited for a weekend and got three offers. Three. Just because I was "related" to a regular customer.

However I've managed to net enough this week with the comms I was able to scrounge I can pay 3 of my bills so far! Granted the last two I have left are about $600 worth but at this rate I should be able to make most of it. I had to quit without a job lined up, paid all my bills for this month, and planned on living off of my wife's savings for a bit. So sometimes, you just have to get lucky I guess. If you ever need to chat, I understand what you're going through.