• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's your preferred difficulty setting?

Dongding

The sheep
As for @PlusThirtyOne and @Dongding I don't usually mod my games that much due to not having the technical know-how to do it. And when you try to twist a game into something it's not, for your own desires, it tends to work against you and that can be very frustrating.
Sort of have to with skyrim after you've run your course 8 or 9 times. I think if you have a mod manager you basically just check boxes of the mods you want to use, launch the game using the manager, and it just loads up with the mods. There's no technical knowledge necessary other than a quick google search.

I'm not a modder by any means. I play vanilla almost exclusively since there's plenty of games I still need to beat but don't have the drive or time for. Even with MC I never modded. Skyrim was the only game I've ever perversed and it added mechanics and small touches that complimented the core game.

Bethesda is a great developer for people wishing to mod a game that acts as a good foundation to build upon.

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Sort of have to with skyrim after you've run your course 8 or 9 times. I think if you have a mod manager you basically just check boxes of the mods you want to use, launch the game using the manager, and it just loads up with the mods. There's no technical knowledge necessary other than a quick google search.

I'm not a modder by any means. I play vanilla almost exclusively since there's plenty of games I still need to beat but don't have the drive or time for. Even with MC I never modded. Skyrim was the only game I've ever perversed and it added mechanics and small touches that complimented the core game.

Bethesda is a great developer for people wishing to mod a game that acts as a good foundation to build upon.
Well if that's the case then I suppose Minecraft and Skyrim are very easy to mod.
But some games are more easy to mod than others. PlusThirtyOne was trying VERY hard to avoid certain plot details in Skyrim and Fallout 4 so they could pretend to be certain characters or classes. It's kind of why I said what I said. That Trying to twist a game into something it's not for your own desires, it tends to work against you and that makes it frustrating? That's why.
I wouldn't know the first thing about programming or writing. Theoretically you could erase the lines of text that refer to the hero in skyrim as dragonborn, or the ones in Fallout 4 that refer to the character's missing child, or the lines in the same game that refer to one of the certain characters as "boss."
But that sounds really tricky to dig into and I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort. And besides, deleting the lines could cause an error in the game that checks for those lines to have been read and completed for the game to progress and it either crashes, or it doesn't register the check and the player cannot proceed normally.
Either way would be bad. Which is why I don't give people advice in programming because if I screwed up on Networking Concepts in College then I'd probably suck to heaven to hell and back again three more times at programming.

One of the "difficulties" I like in a purely masochistic way is the perma-death, lose everything or a lot of progress type things.
Not necessarily rougelikes, where games last one or two sessions at most. More like games that you could put many, many hours into. Like Minecraft's hardcore mode, or Deadspace 2's hardcore mode. The game itself isn't exactly punishing (except for Deadspace), there's always a possibility you could die at any point.
I guess the whole appeal for me, is that it makes moments of progress feel monumental, and you grow extremely attached to everything you've done in that life.
It also makes anything with any risk associated with it 10x scarier.

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Making mods wouldn't be fun, no.

Unless you're into that sort of thing! :3
Well I wasn't exactly talking about Making mods... But that would be cool if I could. But personally what I'd love to do more would be to make a platforming game of some kind with a few weird and perhaps interesting mechanics.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Making mods wouldn't be fun, no.

Unless you're into that sort of thing! :3
A lot of modding actually happens to be looking at the nuts and bolts of a game to see how it works, and then copy-pasting the bits of it that you want to be part of your mod.

That was pretty much how I went about making my exosuit upgrade mod for XCOM2.

737CCE125C91BB2787F5721B7892C20ED3D6A6BD

"Commander, while our E.X.O. and W.A.R. suits are currently optimized for survivability in combat, refinements to their force control systems will allow soldiers who wear them to operate more efficiently in the field."

--

Exosuits are more than just a means of giving someone heavy armor that they can move around in.

Unlocked in the Proving Grounds upon both building an E.X.O. suit and completing the Andromedon Autopsy, Intelligent Suspension gives a boost to soldiers wearing E.X.O. and W.A.R. suits by granting an additional action point for them to work with within their normal range of movement.

Cost:
  • 2 x Andromedon Wrecks
  • 75 x Supplies

Which reminds me that I still need to sort out the WOTC-compatible version...

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?

The Nexus Mod Manager has both saved my ass and utterly wrecked the every-loving-shit out of my copies of Skyrim and Morrowind; i would say in equal parts for both games. The Mod Manager helps to download mods and auto-install them, pair mods together and order them properly. Your game is still subject to breaking mod scripts and bloating saves especially if you add or remove mods mid game. i can't even remember all the times i've broken my saves (or even install!) by adding just oooooone mooooore aaaaaaaaddition. it's never something massive like a fast-travel overhaul, a companion script change, a new questline or a city expansion, of no, THOSE go off without a hitch. it's always the tiny mods! Like -i dunno- a mod that moves ONE BARREL just 3 inches to the left that nukes my character save.
in the case of mod manager hiccups, i wanted to do some HDD cleaning and i figured that since i had mods already installed, there wouldn't be a need for the installs to keep hanging around so i deleted them. The installs, setup and RAR files; THAT'S ALL- but the next time i fired up the Mod Manager is said, "OH MY GAAAWD! WHERE'S ALL MUH FiLES!?!?", flipped its shit and proceeded to automatically uninstall ALL MY MODS. No message, no error, no permission...

it just NUKED. MY. GAME.

Dongding

The sheep
The Nexus Mod Manager has both saved my ass and utterly wrecked the every-loving-shit out of my copies of Skyrim and Morrowind
I only had Frostfall, realistic needs or something, some hunting mod, and a music mod to add a whole bunch of really awesome fantasy music to the game. Maybe crashed once? Beginner's luck perhaps. (Plus just having a few mods installed instead of hundreds probably helps too. I've seen some people's mod lists on tutorial videos and... holy crap.)

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
As stressing and bothersome as it can get, I love playing on the hard difficulties

Redwulf16

Dark souls. My preferred difficulty is dark souls. Just beat the gaping dragon yesterday, in fact. I started playing remastered a couple weeks ago and I've been loving it to pieces. that said, even I can't play lunatic or even hard mode on touhou games. damn touhou is hard, makes dark souls look like a walk in the park. In skyrim legendary mode isn't hard enough so I add mods to ramp it up even higher.

Aiodensghost

Isomorphic Cyborg
I tend to ramp difficulty up as far as I can. Sure, levels may be the same, but dang.

In terms of a challenge, Im what they now call a "masocore" gamer. I tend to stick to really brutal indie games to the liking of Binding of Isaac and N++ Ultimate Edition set in its veteran mode, which makes the game harder from a time and level stand point. Terraria set with a Hardcore character and an expert world makes boss fights tense cause if you die even once your items are gone for good (if you do this and dont want to lose your items, play multiplayer, if you dont care about losing items for good, play in singleplayer.)

Some games I do like on Normal difficulty, though. Minecraft is one I like on Normal cause Normal is relaxing while still having to fend off mobs.

And some difficulty setting cant be changed in some games, like some of the games on the Nintendo 3DS.

Normal, depending on the genre: RPG/JRPGs, Sims, whereas Sandboxes/FPSers are usually Easy or Story mode. Which has nothing to do with my skill, I’d kill to go back to Normal, but I’ve lost more use of my hands so I rather enjoy things instead of ruining my joints.

Eli Wintershade

Starting fires 1 by 1
Depends on the game. Like some games I LOVE on the most brutal difficulty such as doom (1993 and 2016 as well as 2). or both persona 4 and 5 as well as SMT:3

Other games I will flip on the difficulty right below the hardest, and if the game allows you to switch the game to the hardest I will definatly put it there.

linkmaster647

I shall keep the beats
usually i do medium but, if im familiar with the franchise/genre, ill go hard mode

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Usually I don't touch it. But I have a tendency to drop the difficulty if I'm not having fun or if something is getting to the point of nipple twisting annoying. I play games for fun, not have masochistic tendencies!

Illuminaughty

Ring-a-ding-ding, pal.
It varies. If I'm unfamiliar with a game I'll work my way up, starting with low difficulty. If a game is especially hard and I just want to have a casual half hour of enjoyment, I'll go for easy mode. If I want a bit of a challenge I'll go for higher difficulty.
Games in general have varying levels of baseline difficulty, so what difficulty I choose has more to do with the game itself than anything else.

C

CrookedCroc

It depends on the game.
For example, games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and Nioh feel fun and rewarding when playing on harder difficulties.

But FPSs can be pretty bullshit since enemy weapons usually use hit scan and force you to hide behind stuff pretty often, anyone that has played Halo 2 on legendary knows true hell.

On FPS/strategy games I prefer normal or parity difficulties. I like the enemy an me to have a fair footing, so I'm challenged, but not overwhelmed.

I also like playing ultrarealism mode in games like Fallout, or in multiplayer shooters. It challenges you to ask how you would actually deal with that kind of combat scenario. Good tactics get rewarded. Bad ones get punished.

Played New Vegas with a mod that allowed minute settings tweaks for gameplay. I turned the settings so that both my character and NPCs got very little bonus health from endurance, and damage scaling based on skill was minimized. The result was that a few small bullets could kill either the player or NPC.

I died so many times by getting hit with a lead pipe it wasn't funny. Let alone the brutal respawn-die-repeat firefights.

It's a shame an unrelated bug killed that run. I had to drag my character across the wastes after barely surviving a grenade. Realistic crawling speed. !FUN!

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
Lunatic.
Also screw this fairy, ruins my 1cc

I usually only go for Hard/Expert in games.
I refuse to play on Easy modo with the only exception of testing mods.
And if the game has no difficulty other than "character choice" since Don't Starve Together has Wes which is hardmode, but I prefer Maxwell who is frail and dies quickly so he's hard enough I guess.

*Insert something edgy about how I play on hardest difficulty here.*

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
*Insert something edgy about how I play on hardest difficulty here.*

I do appreciate challenge quite a lot too, so you can consider me a friendo in that regard. I just mostly prefer hard games to normal games with hard difficulty - in case of something like Bark Souls or Mega Man 11, you know designers spent countless hours to make the game specifically around beating your ass; with something like BotW's Master Mode, however, it's kinda like, "We'll just gank up the numbers so the game becomes infinitely more tedious and repetitive". In a lot of cases, I found out "hard mode" basically being the "suck-the-fun-out button" :(

I do appreciate challenge quite a lot too, so you can consider me a friendo in that regard. I just mostly prefer hard games to normal games with hard difficulty - in case of something like Bark Souls or Mega Man 11, you know designers spent countless hours to make the game specifically around beating your ass; with something like BotW's Master Mode, however, it's kinda like, "We'll just gank up the numbers so the game becomes infinitely more tedious and repetitive". In a lot of cases, I found out "hard mode" basically being the "suck-the-fun-out button" :(
Agreed.

Also, "Bark Souls"

I need to 'shop this.