• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's your system?

blueroo

Sieneko said:
Dang, what trade are YOU in? :shock:

I'm a professional systems administrator. They don't have a school for that, so I keep myself up to date by managing my own networks and doing my own research. I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment for doing this at home. We run something like 500+ machines in various farms at the office.

Mine SUCKS for what I'm trying to do with it:

- Intel P4 2.0ghz processor
- 256 MB RDRAM
- 160 Gig Hard drive
- nVidia Ge Force 4600 (I just -upgraded- to that last month)
- Er... 1 CD R/W drive and one CD R drive. And a floppy drive... >_>

It's a struggle for it to run Photoshop 5.5 LE! CS2 would probably EAT it... so it's just sitting on my desk. Waiting for me to build a better comp...

Get yourself to at least 512MB of ram and you'll be happier. 1GB will make you right as rain for CS2. Finding RDRAM at a reasonable price might hurt, but it will be cheaper than building a brand new computer. CS2 is something like $1200 these days, so another $150 for memory shouldn't be so bad. That's the only thing you're lacking for hardware.

N3X15

Laptop 1
Lenovo 3000 C100 (Stock, Dirty)

Laptop 2&3
Dells with USB network adapters

DevPC
Pentium 4 3.0GHz
nVidia GeForce FX 5200
512MB RAM
250GB SATA HDD
80GB EIDE HDD
WinXP w/VMware

Primary Webserver
Pentium 4, 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
2x 150GB WD SATA HDDs
2x 10/100/1000 Copper Ethernet
Gentoo Linux (Hardened)

Extra server
Pentium 4, 2.8GHz
1GB RAM
40GB WD EIDE HDD
2x 10/100/1000 Copper Ethernet
Gentoo Linux (Hardened)

Routers
Shitty belkin wireless/ethernet combo with firewall

Switches
Datacenter - Netgear 24-port copper gigabit w/2x fiber ports
Datacenter (honeynet) - Linksys 5-port 10/100 w/uplink

ADF

17” Vision Master Pro 410 CRT
Leadtek WinFast PX7900GT
No brand 1GB DDR400 ram
2Ghz AMD 3000 754s
Maxtor 120GB IDE

CPU tends to let me down in games with heavy AI processing “e.g. ES IV” but I can run pretty much any game I want at respectable settings :) Planning on a monitor/HDD upgrade in February for my 21st.

Melo

Oh, **** you.
AMD 4200 X2
2 Gig RAM
250 Gig HD
24 bit Sound Blaster Audiology
$$$XP Media Edition
Nvidia Fx5200 (dual VGA, ftw)

Modem and router are both Linksys. <3

Sieneko

Hotpocket Wrangler
blueroo said:
Get yourself to at least 512MB of ram and you'll be happier. 1GB will make you right as rain for CS2. Finding RDRAM at a reasonable price might hurt, but it will be cheaper than building a brand new computer. CS2 is something like $1200 these days, so another $150 for memory shouldn't be so bad. That's the only thing you're lacking for hardware.
Oh if I could only afford to get 1GB of RAM right now... heh. I wish my computer didn't use the expensive stuff! I'd be upgraded by now if it didn't. (I got my CS2 from a friend, so it was free. Heh. I'm pretty poor at the moment.)

Sometime in the future I do want a whole new system. Something that will take a graphics card with a pixel shader and run it to it's full potential. But... all's I can do is dream right now. XD

SageHusky

i'm the ghetto machine builder

AMD dual core 4200
dual 7800GT
1gig OCR memory(forgot the latencies)
that's uh, pretty much it...

RailRide

The Real Wheels of Steel
All sorts of outdated stuff...all of it works though :)

Primary machine:
--Toshiba celeron laptop (factory refurb), 2GHz with 1GB ram, upgraded from 256Mb (mostly to run Manga Studio Debut, which I haven't even used yet), XP home

Secondary:
--Toshiba P4 1.7GHz laptop (vendor refurb), 512MB ram (maxed out). GeForce 4Go video (used for running older 3D games). XP home

Tertiary:
--Dell L410 subnotebook, P3 700MHz (vendor refurb). Stowed in my backpack to work on art during lunch hour. Failing keyboard, clock stops running when shut off unless plugged in, busted ethernet and phone jacks (cords won't stay plugged in, got a port replicator) broken screen latch, missing screen hinge covers (replacements are ridiculously priced), but a decent display. I keep a small Wacom and an external keyboard with it for usability--it's kind of decrepit and I won't necessarily miss it if it dies. Win2000

Others:
--Toshiba PII-266 laptop (bought new), 96MB ram. Sits on a desk full-time (needs a new battery), used for email and occasional scanning. Former primary machine, upgraded hard drive (4G-10G). Hosts my Zip/Jaz drives and a USB scanner, Win98SE

--Homebuilt P4 1.7Ghz tower 512MB ram (used to be 640). Nothing remarkable about it (well, three HDD's, two being SCSI units inherited from older machines, and a SCSI full-size scanner, SCSI Zip and Jaz), though it could benefit from a low-end 3D card (it has a 32MB GeForce2-based card in it). Win98SE

--Toshiba P3-900 laptop (vendor refurb). GeForce 2Go video. Bought this as a replacement for an identical model (last laptop I bought new) that I lost coming home from Anthrocon 2004 (left my backpack on Amtrak at my destination in NYC). The original machine was used for gaming and video editing (it had a FireWire port). Haven't established a use for it's successor--I think the reason I got it was mostly psychological rather than an actual need, and the functions it would have taken on have been previously acquired by the celeron system above. WinMe is on it, which I'm reasonably confident I can get to behave (don't-laugh--I did it before).

--Toshiba P3 1GHz laptop (vendor refurb). Bought for no real reason now that I think about it. Has a spontaneous shutdown issue which I suspect is due to a dust-clogged CPU heatsink. I've yet to open it up to fix the problem since I have other working machines. XP home, switched to Classic interface.

--Toshiba P3-900 laptop (vendor refurb). Initial "replacement" for the unit lost in 2004. Most of the same features (GeForce 2go, firewire, etc) as the other P3-900 above, except for no floppy, slightly smaller screen (14.1" vs 15") and about 1/3 slimmer. Haven't done a thing with it other than run Windows Update, since I found an exact replacement for the lost machine. Someday I'll figure out a use for it. Win98SE

Toshiba P1-100 subnotebook (vendor refurb). Pretty chunky for an "ultralight"-class notebook, was the first one I bought to carry to work for lunchtime art processing. Win95 OSR2

--Toshiba 486dx2-75 laptop (bought new). Kept around to run really old accesories lacking drivers for newer OS'es, and old DOS games. Used to run my Zip & Jaz drives and the SCSI scanner. Needs a new battery. Win 3.1

--Toshiba 486sx-33 laptop (bought new). First Wintel laptop (didn't have room for a desktop/tower at the time). Still works, needs a battery though. Win 3.1

---PCJ

sasaki

My current system is as follows. The CPU is only temporary. I'm waiting for the 65nm FX x2 CPUs to come out. I also plan to change my GPU (or add another of the same) as the next line of GeForce 8 series comes out. I'm still debating whether I want to stripe 3-4 raptors in RAID 5 or get another of the same HDD and stripe that.

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Windsor
MB: Gigabyte S5 GA-M59SLI-S5
RAM: Patriot eXtreme 2GB DDR2 800
GPU: BFG 8800GTX
HDD: 2x WD Caviar SE SATA 250GB (In JABOD for now)
CD/DVD: Samsung 18X Super-WriteMaster
NIC: Gigabyte GN-WP01GS
PSU: SILVERSTONE Zeus 750W
Case: NZXT Zero

Rhainor

Rawr.
First, the bad news:  While installing a new 250GB hard drive in my computer last week, and trying to figure out why Windows wasn't seeing it (I later found out it was because the hard drive didn't have any partitions set up), I did something completely unrelated and (in hindsight) rather foolish.  As a result, my motherboard is partially fried; the PCI slots are all screwed, so my modem and sound card aren't working.  I'm posting this via my mom's computer.

Now, the good news:  Since I need a working computer of my own for my college stuff, I managed to convince my mom to spring for new components;  I had to have a new motherboard, and that requires a new CPU and a new video card.  Here's what I'll be getting, almost entirely on Mom's dime:
  • MSI motherboard
    - nVidia nForce chipset
    - CPU socket AM2
    - (x4) DDR 800+ RAM slots
    - (x2) PCI-E x16 slots with SLI capability
    - (x2) PCI-E x1 slots
    - (x2) PCI slots
    - (x10) USB2.0 ports (rear x4, front x6)
    - 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet network port
    - (x4) Serial ATA (SATA) HDD connections
    - integrated RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and RAID 5 support
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ CPU (2.0GHz dual-core)
  • (x1) 512MB stick of DDR2 RAM (giving up one existing 256MB stick of DDR to my mom)
  • (x1) nVidia GeForce 7100 GS video card, SLI-compatible
Every thing in this list is an upgrade from what I had before.

Win!