• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's your thoughts on drugs?

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
In general, I don't recommend drugs.

But as far as weed goes, I have a pretty libertarian position on that. I would like to see it completely decriminalized. I think there's really no reason at all for it to be illegal, and increasingly that seems to be the majority opinion nowadays. People have seen for years how ineffective and irrational laws against weed are, and the enforcement of said laws has been a complete failure that has cost American taxpayers untold billions of dollars. When I was in high school, there was any number of people I could have bought the stuff from if I wanted it. All I had to do was ask around. Hell, I've even heard the stuff grows wild on the plains of Nebraska! How are you going to effectively fight that? If people want something bad enough, they'll get it. Did we not learn anything from Prohibition? And how many people do we have in prison in this country just because of non-violent possession? It's ridiculous and it's all been for nothing - just a pointless war on a plant that mellows you out for a while and makes you feel hungry. I think you could argue that regular heavy use will dumb you down after a while, but that's no reason for it to be illegal. Alcohol and tobacco will do much worse to you than that. Moderation is key anyway.

We're in the midst of a massive social change with regard to weed. Most people know that it's bullshit that weed is illegal, they know it has legitimate medical uses, and that it's not necessarily a gateway drug or as bad as we've been led to believe in the past. People are pretty well fed up with it all and bucking the system, and more states are just telling the feds to piss off and doing their own thing. In Canada, in July of this year, weed is going to be totally legal at the federal level for recreational use. And I don't think Canada is going to descend into apocalyptic anarchy because of it. If we totally legalized it, that would also be one less thing that the Mexican cartels could profit from, and I fully support being able to buy legal, American grown weed that doesn't have the blood of innocents on it.

I think enough is enough.

Rovindeer

As far as weed goes, I totally think it should be legal. I don't really see any reasons as why it isn't already considering alcohol is and it is quite similar (has an effect on you after consumption, can cause addiction...) .
But for other drugs such as cocaine, heroin, and all those other stuff, I don't have enough knowledge/experience to make an opinion on it to be honest

A

aloveablebunny

Hmmm. I have not done any drugs other than to smoke weed once, and eat a pot brownie once.

I have no real desire to do any other drugs. I see how they can totally destroy lives and families, and that's just not something I ever want to risk. Plus I like having extra money :x

At most I may try mushrooms once, and I think I'd be okay with smoking/ingesting weed again, but I'd need to be in a safe place as I had an anxiety attack when I had weed before.

In terms of legalization, I do think that weed being illegal is silly. It's a freaking plant. Alcohol and other drugs are far more dangerous and can leave much worse long-lasting effects with long-term use. Granted, I know a long-time pothead who has admitted to having some issues (memory, word pronunciation) that he thinks are from being a heavy daily user for 20+ years, but still.

However... regardless of whether any drug is legal or illegal, people will still find ways to get ahold of it.

M

Massan Otter

I'm not sure how much to say about drug experiences on a PG-13 forum, but I've been around small hippy festivals, outdoor parties and places like that since the early 2000s and have a few old raver friends. I get the distinct impression that in the UK, as laws have changed and some existing laws have been enforced more solidly, the newer alternatives that come on to the scene are almost always nastier and more variable than the stuff you couldn't get any more.

quoting_mungo

Biggest thing you could probably do to kill the drug trade (with its associated problems such as drug money being used to support other illegal activity) would be to move most resources away from drug stings and towards rehab. I believe it was in the Netherlands they set up a clinic where people with drug addictions could go, get their fix for free with clean needles on the premises, and were offered help to quit if they wanted it. That broke the cycle of "do degrading things to afford drugs, do drugs to numb myself to the degrading things I'm doing" and only a small portion of the people actually kept taking the drugs long-term. Local dealers were pretty much driven out of business.

Personally I don't feel I have enough data to say whether any given substance should be illegal, though all intoxicants (including cigarettes and alcohol) should probably at least require ID. I am, however, personally very much of the opinion that "it's illegal" is a strong argument against using drugs. Legality does influence those drugs' surroundings, and should be considered accordingly. (This is honestly as much an argument for decriminalization as it is an argument for staying away from drugs if they're illegal. Don't get wrapped up in a mess that you can't get out of via your dealer or whatever else.)

Honestly the biggest atrocity when it comes to drug legislation is how many substances have arbitrarily been declared to have no therapeutic value and thus to be off limits for research. That is something that needs to end; while it's understandable that research on controlled substances would probably get extra scrutiny from ethics committees, saying flat no to such research is irresponsible. IIRC it's LSD that's been showing some promising results in treating PTSD in the few studies that have been approved on it.

I do think that weed being illegal is silly. It's a freaking plant.
Where it's derived from has nothing to do with anything, though. Opium is derived from poppies. Digitalis is a very potent, plant-derived medicine. Oleander seeds will freaking kill you, as will any number of other plants.

A

aloveablebunny

Biggest thing you could probably do to kill the drug trade (with its associated problems such as drug money being used to support other illegal activity) would be to move most resources away from drug stings and towards rehab. I believe it was in the Netherlands they set up a clinic where people with drug addictions could go, get their fix for free with clean needles on the premises, and were offered help to quit if they wanted it. That broke the cycle of "do degrading things to afford drugs, do drugs to numb myself to the degrading things I'm doing" and only a small portion of the people actually kept taking the drugs long-term. Local dealers were pretty much driven out of business.

Personally I don't feel I have enough data to say whether any given substance should be illegal, though all intoxicants (including cigarettes and alcohol) should probably at least require ID. I am, however, personally very much of the opinion that "it's illegal" is a strong argument against using drugs. Legality does influence those drugs' surroundings, and should be considered accordingly. (This is honestly as much an argument for decriminalization as it is an argument for staying away from drugs if they're illegal. Don't get wrapped up in a mess that you can't get out of via your dealer or whatever else.)

Honestly the biggest atrocity when it comes to drug legislation is how many substances have arbitrarily been declared to have no therapeutic value and thus to be off limits for research. That is something that needs to end; while it's understandable that research on controlled substances would probably get extra scrutiny from ethics committees, saying flat no to such research is irresponsible. IIRC it's LSD that's been showing some promising results in treating PTSD in the few studies that have been approved on it.

Where it's derived from has nothing to do with anything, though. Opium is derived from poppies. Digitalis is a very potent, plant-derived medicine. Oleander seeds will freaking kill you, as will any number of other plants.

I respect your opinion, but I was strictly speaking about weed.

quoting_mungo

I respect your opinion, but I was strictly speaking about weed.
I understand that. I'm just pointing out that the common arguments "it's natural" and "it's a plant" don't hold water; I believe the fallacy in question is called "appeal to nature". If you want to speak in favor of decriminalizing cannabis, there are many more compelling arguments.

A

aloveablebunny

I understand that. I'm just pointing out that the common arguments "it's natural" and "it's a plant" don't hold water; I believe the fallacy in question is called "appeal to nature". If you want to speak in favor of decriminalizing cannabis, there are many more compelling arguments.
I wasn't really going for a compelling argument; merely stating an opinion. I'm not one to spend a lot of time debating back and forth.

D

Deleted member 82554

I see no issue with the sticky icky being legal, it's not what you'd call a hard drug and has the least amount of psychedelic side-effects compared to its counterparts, but shrooms is another issue.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
I don't recommend them, and I don't do any myself, but I do think they should be legalized. Legalization and some form of regulation would help control the quality, take power away from the cartels, and potentially help the economy. Drug dealers could become legit drug salespeople, and there would be fewer non-violent people in prison. Those who might benefit from them would have easier access, and addicts might be more open their struggles (and therefore easier to help) if they didn't have to hide it from the law.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Eh, not worth it. I've seen some people who ruined their lives with krokodil (nightmare-inducing stuff, eek), and I've seen some people who ruined their lives with weed, so yeah, I'll pass. I also notice quite often that people with positive opinion towards weed decriminalization tend to overestimate their level of self-control - just because it's "not as addictive as tobacco" doesn't mean you won't get addicted, if not to the drug itself, then to sensation you get from using it (which is how it works with alcoholism, at least until real addiction kicks in).

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned
The issue with consumables in the neurological factor is even if they can help someone with a health issue, I only personally advise that a physicians or Primary care doctor should coach and decide whats best for you in that health market. Weed and other things are emgerbding fast...almost to fast and I worry the hype train may lead people to abandon centuries of medical and scientific progress for it

I know its easy to slide into those weedcard dms in Vegas, or the west beast coast but there's consumerism...and then there's using it for real health issues then being a hipster at coachella. I think we can use many narcotic substances to help people, wean them off total psychology based dependency but a little research on that but from a stance such as mine: If you do acid, heroin or PCP for fun or for you addiction that violates laws then your part of a problem.

I don't mind when people smoke weed, but when it comes to other hardcore drugs that alter the reality and mental sanity levels of peoples minds, I tend to call the cops. I'd rather not have violent, money hungry drug culture ruin things around which then tend to do.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
When it comes to these things I always come to a standstill of some point (when it comes to weed)... because in reality I feel that there is no really right answer....

On one hand, by decriminalizing it, you prevent major cartels from profiting and from there you get a nice chain effect where they start to lose power and wealth to a degree... of course I imagine they’ll find a way to make money anyways... on another hand it becomes easier for people who would most definitely benefit from it for medicinal purposes have the ability to get it easily as opposed to going through a whole system or possibly not being able to get it, and rather having to use worse drugs to have the same effect. Also of course the potential taxes gained from it would... if they tax it like cigarettes... would be pretty good for the state (if those politicians don’t pocket it of course). So there is a decent amount of good to come from it

however, another part of me has a different view on it. I personally, being a bio major (just to give background), see all these drugs as... well not so good for ones health overall. The body can be resilient, however I’ve seen firsthand how these things can play out. On top of that... I mean like with anything that associates the reward center of the brain, people can get, especially those with genetic predispositions, addicted to using the substances and over time crave more and more. Not comparing the effects of weed to heroin, however with heroin small doses are pretty much harmless to whomever is using it. However since it works with the reward center, you start to get downgrading of neurons, and pretty soon you need more of the drug to get high, until you’re using many times more than you started with to get the same high and you die. This is why people, like my phisiology teacher, call weed a gateway drug, because it can have the same effect (as can pretty much anything mind you, like alcohol or nicotine). So the argument there is to remove those type of things from public use as to “help people help themselves” which of course if you think about it, is using people as a means to an end and is pretty much unethical

Another part of me gets really... i guess the easiest way to say it is, annoyed, at people who smoke weed. I find that most of them (in my experience mind you) are either really stupid, complain a lot about simple things, or are just plain lazy. That probably plays off the trope of the typical stoner and maybe why they act like that... But I just find that almost every single person I’ve met who smokes pretty regularly is just not smart or able to make good decisions. Obviously that’s a bias... but it makes me concerned about how people are going to be if it becomes legal to use in more places. I certainlly don’t want people driving around high, nor do I want people with bad decision making skills all around me as the prospect of that just makes me generally afraid; much like the idea of people drinking and driving makes me afraid to drive around moral holidays (times when people do stuff like drink and such).

Weed has been shown in the long term to cause issues with the frontal lobe and memory last I did any research on it, with short term effects varying between people from an actual ability to concentrate (in people who have ADD and such) to others hallucinating and getting sick. Its also been shown to slow or stop brain growth in adolescents... So medically until I know more about it, and it’s been studied a LOT more, I’m unsure...

Overall however I find it would be best to legalize it for people who are at least 21, possibly even into 25 as thats when your prefrontal cortex stops growing and their brains are somewhat fully developed before introducing anything that could potentially stop their brains from developing... but overall it should be more accessible and potentially other ones less as acceptable... namely being cigarettes... and alcohol... but i know for a fact people won’t give up alcohol since it’s such a culturally important drink that makes people feel good.... so I accept that at least... maybe just make something that’s currently identified as ‘not so bad’ be legalized if we do already have ‘worse’ stuff out there.... yeah

pippi

Stinky Skunk
I think they're fun, as long as you don't hurt anyone on them or for them. I personally like being out of my head.

B

BahgDaddy

Marijuana is fine. The only reason it's illegal is because they got bored after the prohibition and needed a new scapegoat to justify their existence.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
did-someone-say-drugs.jpg

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
Any recreational drugs that alters the state of mind is a no-no for me.

I don't want to work with a stoner

B

BahgDaddy

Any recreational drugs that alters the state of mind is a no-no for me.

I don't want to work with a stoner

Many strains of marijuana induce a state of mind that's very similar to being tipsy. Yet no one has any qualms about alcohol.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
Many strains of marijuana induce a state of mind that's very similar to being tipsy. Yet no one has any qualms about alcohol.

I find it very amusing when people automatically assume I'm fine with alcohol just because I don't support marijuana. :V

B

BahgDaddy

I find it very amusing when people automatically assume I'm fine with alcohol just because I don't support marijuana. :V

I didn't reference you, but I did draw from a population consensus statement. However alcohol and marijuana are different substances, although neither are particularly damaging to one's health, especially not if used in moderation.

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
although neither are particularly damaging to one's health, especially not if used in moderation.

I will be fair, drinking alcohol is bad for your health in contrast to Marijuana which is (as claimed) beneficial to your health

but that is the problem!

Marijuana gives me healthy idiots
while
Alcohol gives me dead idiots

B

BahgDaddy

I will be fair, drinking alcohol is bad for your health in contrast to Marijuana which is (as claimed) beneficial to your health

but that is the problem!

Marijuana gives me healthy idiots
while
Alcohol gives me dead idiots

I'm still experimenting with both. Certain variations of both alcohol and marijuana can give me a headache, so I try different stuff. One of my favorite things to do is to just spike my creamer, sugar, and tea with brandy.