• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

What's your thoughts on drugs?

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Seeing as I'm going to go ignored yet again, I'mma just go ahead and give my answer.

A responsible drug user is someone that can take things as directed on the label and only as needed.
The human body is a complicated balance of chemicals. Everything you add to it, is going to upset that balance in that moment or later on.
What happens when we eat sugar? We get hyper.
What happens when we lose that energy? We burn out and crash. We feel miserable, and rightly so.
The same can be said with emotions, like happiness.

If you are capable of feeling happy, but feel like giving it a 'responsible' boost, there's already something wrong if you can't enjoy yourself as is.
Even that little boost can add up to the crash you'll feel later.
Life isn't supposed to be constantly up, nor is it supposed to be constantly down. If anything, most of the time should be spent feeling calm.
That's why we have therapists to diagnose people with things like chemical depression or bipolar disorders.

That's why I hate those people that constantly preach that we should all be smiling constantly because 'we have nothing to feel sad about'. Fuck off. Just because I'm not beaming doesn't mean I'm not content.
This is very much true.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
But the same can be said about everything from churches (joyful emotions to enhance their message) to street performers (who make you laugh so you are more likely to participate and go along with the silliness). Getting high to the point of no responsibility is irresponsible I agree totally. But getting slightly high and still being responsible to both body and mind...it's that aspect I submit is fine. And I agree totally again, it is not a good coping mechanism or escapism. That's why I'm not asking about those...I specifically said getting high just to get high, NOT as medicine. Those 2 would be "medical uses" and since I'm not claiming that as the reason, I'm being honest and saying "getting high is fun in itself" and asking for counters to that.

I don't really think attending church and watching a street performer are at exactly the same point on a scale as the use of psychedelics. :p Regardless, even a slight intoxication is enough to alter the brain's function. If a person is feeling the effects of a drug he is under its influence and may not act as though he would if sober. I certainly wouldn't want to ride in a car with someone who's slightly high.

Purposefully intoxicating oneself to the point of impairment, no matter how minor, is irresponsible, in my opinion.

To the brain they are the same, that's why drugs are a shortcut for many people. Now I'm asking about people who would be on vacation and choose to get a little high to enjoy it more. In the scenario I'm asking about it's not coping nor addiction nor escapism...it's enhancing for fun. You keep talking about the dangers of reduced judgement, but someone who's partying with their friends has the same peer pressures and bad judgements after hours of dancing and whooping it up...sober or not. Again if you say "but high they'd be worse" I'd simply remind you I'm talking about moderate uses where judgment is barely affected. You know, bring a responsible drug user...something I suspect you may believe is an oxymoron. <grin>

I don't believe that's true. Sure, they may both get the happy juices flowing but drugs alter brain chemistry in abnormal ways that simply enjoyable activities don't.

I'm saying more along the lines of being in a state of intoxication leaves a person in a state of vulnerability, which can often also mean a danger or nuisance to others. It's a lot easier to manipulate a drunk person than a sober one. Coax information or actions, for example. But they'll also lack social inhibitions and be more expressive and emotional and willing to do things without considering the consequences. Vulnerable to others, vulnerable to themselves. A person doesn't have to be completely messed up to not be thinking straight. And people already do stupid things when completely sober. :p

Anyways, just because you might not go overboard or use them "responsibly" doesn't mean everyone will or what they might call responsible. Again I dare say most people don't take small doses on the occasion and certainly not when on vacation.

Yes, I must admit I do see that as something of an oxymoron. ;)

I NEVER would say it's healthy in any way...but I disregard the health aspects as an argument for one simple reason...many people can use them in smaller doses which their body can handle as easily as any other toxin. So to them, the health damage is minimal to none. Responsible drug users don't go getting wasted or delusionally high...they do a bit and enjoy their activity fully-functional. It's those people I am discussing, anyone who's just getting wasted is already irresponsible. So even factoring the negative health uses disregards the millions of users that are saying "Yeah if you did THAT much no wonder you're messed up! Idiot druggies giving us a bad name..."

Ah, I must have mixed up who said what, my bad. But again, just because a person can take drugs in safe dosages, most people probably won't or at least not forever. (Dare I say it. :p) Just look at addicts or alcoholics or obesity; If everyone took everything in the right amounts they wouldn't really exist. But correct me if I'm wrong, I genuinely wouldn't know, does a person not require larger and larger dosages to get the same effect even if used relatively infrequently? At least for some substances anyway, that much I know.

Though, I maintain if a person is feeling a buzz or whatever, they're intoxicated. There isn't a medical range where a person can feel the pleasant affects of an illicit substance and not be impaired by it. There is no such thing as high to any degree and simultaneously full-functional.

Agreed totally...that's why I'm not talking about those people. <laugh> If you need it, you have a problem regardless of the substance. We're still talking about those who choose it safely. <giggle> See the problem? Every time the discussion goes straight to those who'd destroy themselves and responsible people are assumed to not even exist in the debates. I always found that funny...must be the drugs. <laugh-wink>

Well, no one wants to be an addict. I imagine it just happens, careless use, used just one too many times, maybe just used a smidge too much one time. Whatever the reason it was an accident. "Safe use" is relative when the substance in question is inherently not safe. Drug use always carries risks.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Like so many things I think we spend too much time worrying about them. As with everything it's a mixed bag of good and bad--- but at the end of the day I find life is short and is best enjoyed. Making moral imperatives that people 'should' avoid them out of hand has always struck me as shrill and prudish; from coffee to wine to weed they are woven into the fabric of human culture and wagging ones finger at the whole affair in shame is as tiresome as it is pedantic.

Glossolalia

just happy to be here
"Drugs" is such a broad label that it's hard to make any sweeping judgements about them. Certain drugs, for certain people, in certain contexts, can be harmless, can ruin lives, can save lives, can cloud judgment, can open minds, can be a fun activity to share with friends. The less we hide under layers of stigma and the more we study them and the systems surrounding them, the better we'll be able to handle each individual case.

rekcerW

I've done an assortment of drugs in history, and all I wound up as is an alcoholic, so that's not bad.

It's crazy how people justify spending a boatload of money over and over to feel good for a few hours, chase a shit high, and finish off by feeling like a giant bag of shit the next day. Or people that spend upwards of weeks on giant benders, collecting a few hours of sleep here and there over the course.

I gave up the hard shit, but personally, once I'm out, I'm done. I never even thought about going back to get more of whatever shit I was on, just rode the feel-like-shit train and didn't sleep for a long time. Nowadays, if something pops up at some kind of gathering (in the unlikely event I go to one), I MIGHT do a bit of whatever's there, but I primarily just drink at home by myself because I'm a giant anti-social mofo.

I'd be right back into the pot if my job didn't drug test, though, it was some fucking nice to actually be able to get back into it for a bit during lock-down.

But, it's different strokes for different folks. Some people get right into the blow on their time off, some people read books.

Last edited:

Magnuswolf

Lost in an internal soundtrack
I smoke weed on a daily basis for the most part. I was on anti depressants like Prozac when I was younger and all it did was mess me up. I prefer the more natural method to manage depression etc. I can understand double durban kush more than I can understand fluoxetine. There's no difference between taking pills everyday or smoking a joint.

Also the potential CBD has as a medicine that doesn't get you high shouldn't be ignored.

I tried shrooms once and it was fun until I fell into that "dark place" or whatever. I'd only try them again in a way better setting than I was before. No acid though. Nope.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Nitrous Oxide was on the news this morning because extended use can cause spinal cord diseases.

Thought I'd share that here just in case anybody needs to know it.

D

Deleted member 82554

I think the bigger question is what is everyone's thoughts on my cheesy goodness?

Guifrog

Blue Frog
Just keep using me in moderation

I think the bigger question is what is everyone's thoughts on my cheesy goodness?
I got a cheese bread overdose that made me throw up every time I'd try it again, but it's all back to normal and I got a slight relapse. Not 20 at once anymore, just 5 now

D

Deleted member 132067

I mean, if I look at this list, it seems pretty bad, honestly...
  • Wernicke-Korsakov Syndrome
  • epileptic attacks
  • Brain atrophy
  • Pellagra
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Tooth ruins
  • Mallory-Weiss Syndrome
  • Reflux esophagitis
  • Malabsorption syndrome
  • Malnutrition
  • Carcinomas: oral cavity, oesophagus, stomach
  • primary hepatocellular carcinoma
  • Zieve Syndrome
  • Acute Pancreatitis
  • chronic calcifying pancreatitis
  • Cardiovascular system:
  • Holiday Heart Syndromes
  • alcoholic dilated cardiomyopathy
  • arterial hypertension
  • Apoplexy
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Hypertriglyceridemia
  • Hyperuricemia
  • Hypoglycaemia
  • Porphyria cutanea tarda
  • hyperchromic anaemia with folic acid deficiency
  • Weakness of the immune system with consecutive susceptibility to infections
  • Loss of libido and impotence in men due to testosterone deficiency
  • Oligorrhoea / amenorrhoea in women due to oestrogen deficiency
  • Pseudo-Cushing's Syndrome
That being said, I guess most drugs are pretty bad, too.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I mean, if I look at this list, it seems pretty bad, honestly...
  • Wernicke-Korsakov Syndrome
  • epileptic attacks
  • Brain atrophy
  • Pellagra
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Tooth ruins
  • Mallory-Weiss Syndrome
  • Reflux esophagitis
  • Malabsorption syndrome
  • Malnutrition
  • Carcinomas: oral cavity, oesophagus, stomach
  • primary hepatocellular carcinoma
  • Zieve Syndrome
  • Acute Pancreatitis
  • chronic calcifying pancreatitis
  • Cardiovascular system:
  • Holiday Heart Syndromes
  • alcoholic dilated cardiomyopathy
  • arterial hypertension
  • Apoplexy
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Hypertriglyceridemia
  • Hyperuricemia
  • Hypoglycaemia
  • Porphyria cutanea tarda
  • hyperchromic anaemia with folic acid deficiency
  • Weakness of the immune system with consecutive susceptibility to infections
  • Loss of libido and impotence in men due to testosterone deficiency
  • Oligorrhoea / amenorrhoea in women due to oestrogen deficiency
  • Pseudo-Cushing's Syndrome
That being said, I guess most drugs are pretty bad, too.

A good half of those apply to abusing simple sugar though. The devil is in the details.

Zerzehn

Dojyaaaaaaaaan~
My thoughts on recreational stuff: Legalize (or at least decriminalize some of the hard stuff) it all. Treat addiction as a medical issue and not a legal one.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
My thoughts on recreational stuff: Legalize (or at least decriminalize some of the hard stuff) it all. Treat addiction as a medical issue and not a legal one.
Give people a safe location with safely synthesized drugs at an affordable price. Have a one-way mirror so a nurse on scene can watch them.
Then use the money used by sale and taxation of drugs for rehabilitation programs and offer them to the people on the way out.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
My thought - do what you want when it comes to recreational drugs, but know that the outcome is entirely your responsibility to deal with.

If you fail a drug test and can't get a job, that's your fault.
If you lie to and steal from friends and family to continue your addiction, that is your fault.
If your addiction leads to arrest, jail time, permanent criminal record. . .that is your fault.

I know too many people whose addictions have not only ruined their lives, but the lives of their parents and families, they have lost custody of their kids, they are unemployable, they have burned all of their bridges in life. And they still blame everyone and everything else for their troubles.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.

Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

JustAlex1997

Autumn the Squirrel
If you want to put something in your body, you should have the right to do so in an environment where you won't do harm to others. I strongly advise against drug use/abuse as I've unfortunately experienced how unrecognizable people become because of it (as well as the lasting impact it has on the minds of those who care for you), but I'll never argue against your right to walk that path.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
My thought right now is that for the first time ever, I'm going to go to a fully legal recreational cannabis dispensary in northern Michigan now that we have them, and I'm very excited! Have not had any in ages, and it'll sure be nice for my sore muscles from this rather arduous bread baking job (10 to 12 hours of baking rack after rack of heavy loaves of sourdough and wheat makes a body very achy).

I'm happy there's finally alternatives to drinking available here; for a lot of folks, alcohol is so much more dangerous, myself included. Can't wait to finally see how it is to buy it in a store...vs. a parking lot :p

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
My thought right now is that for the first time ever, I'm going to go to a fully legal recreational cannabis dispensary in northern Michigan now that we have them, and I'm very excited! Have not had any in ages, and it'll sure be nice for my sore muscles from this rather arduous bread baking job (10 to 12 hours of baking rack after rack of heavy loaves of sourdough and wheat makes a body very achy).

I'm happy there's finally alternatives to drinking available here; for a lot of folks, alcohol is so much more dangerous, myself included. Can't wait to finally see how it is to buy it in a store...vs. a parking lot :p

As a Canadian, buying weed from the store legally is old hat now. Just remember, CBD is the pain-managing component, so if that's your goal, make sure you buy one high in that and lower in THC. Oils or extracts/edibles are probably your best bet.