• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

When did you change?

Zipline

Noodle Fish
At what point did you get more happy/ cynical to a noticeable degree? Have you always been sad, or was it the cause of an unresolved conflict in life. Maybe you became more happy after a relationship. Surprisingly I am actually happier after my father died. He was an angry wonamizing drunk that seemed convinced I was gay and would say so about 5 times a day in some internal running joke. After he left me on the side of the road here in Texas and killed himself when he got home I actually feel much more relieved. That was 3 years ago and I feel like a new person these days. Confess your stories to me! >:3

ItzRiley

Staying in the Shadows
Wow. Well I became happier after my father left us. He was always fighting, always complaining about everything, witch made all of us really mad and negative, all of us always fighting, no happiness what so ever. So after he left us everything just went amazing, no fighting, no complaining, no screaming, etc. No I'm really just trying to work on myself, always trying to keep moving foward. I always say to myself everyday b4 starting a new day ,remember these four words " Relax, Calm, Positive, Patience" never lose one cause if ya do, you'll lose em all. Well thats my story :3

LindyHop

Bring me my brown pants!
Between 18-21, I went away to college in Philadelphia, my first year roommate who is now one of my best friends was/is also in the furry fandom. Back home in New York, I was bullied from the age of 9, I was fat and poor so not only could I not fit in any of the latest fashion we couldn't afford to buy new clothes at all. My clothing were hand me downs from my mom, our apartment was small, run down, and infested so I could never have friends over and I couldn't afford to go out with my friends either. I was also incredibly shy and had low self-esteem due to the bullying.
Once I was able to get away things got better, I dropped 40 pounds, I got a job in addition to going to school, my mom got a raise so she could afford to send me some money every now and then.I made great new friends and had wonderful experiences.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
No matter what I tried, I could never relate to anyone. And whenever I did strike what I thought would be a normal conversation, I felt as if I knew they didn't care, especially when they end it early. I became easily irritable because I felt that talking to people was pointless, often getting briefly angry at things that didn't matter. After years of being in a rut, I suddenly stopped caring and decided to occupy myself with things I do like. Though something I can't describe is I just don't "feel" as much as I used to, as in I became less sympathetic in a neutral way.

mzfantic

Just a stupid dog
Back a few years ago I was an asshole to pretty much everyone. I was convinced I had some sort of mental disorder and the schools treated me as such too, teachers and students. So I acted pretty immaturely and almost seemed insane to a lot of people. I just didn't care. After a certain event in my life I decided to grow the fuck up and change for the better, and that's just what I did. Too bad the infamy of being "that kid" followed me into high school so I still got picked on with the expectation that I'd react negatively that's why I hate almost anyone of high school age. Oddly enough growing up also made me more cynical and less happy go lucky even if I'm a hundred times less impulsive and less angry.

RinkuTheRuffian

Punished "Venom" Rinku
As soon as high school happened I became impatient with my friends falling into the typical dramatic trends teenagers seem to have and gravitated to the senior year people and made friends there... then they graduated and then suddenly all the cool people of the last high school generation disappeared and I was stuck with the in-your-face SJW's, the feminists and the gender neutrals. They ruined my young life and I'm doomed to this cynical cage.
You reach 25 and suddenly your brain starts leveling out for better or worse.
Sweet, so I have 8 years until I recover from the idiotically-induced trauma that makes me so angry by default when I don't mean to be.

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
Welp, my first serious breakup showed me the hard way that I was a lazy, self-indulgent moron, and I slowly changed for the better. Then, a few years later, I got several crappy, exhausting full-time jobs in a row - now it's better, but either way, that's how I learned to appreciate hard work and be calm and collected in most stressful situations, as well as spending my money wisely.

SniperCoon2882

The insomniatic marksman
First: When I realized that none of my "friends" cared about me or even gave a shit about anything I did or liked or had going on at the time.

After I realized that they didn't like me, I started hanging around with other people who were more accepting and friendly, and my social skills improved a fair bit.

Second: About a year ago, I started my first job, and at first, it was hell. It was such a hell that it made me incredibly depressed after every shift, and certain negative thoughts about taking one's own life crossed me several times.

However, once I learned that I was being treated poorly because I sucked and I was being an asshole to people, I decided to fix that and be positive (even if I still sucked at my job)

FoxInTheCloset

The Over Caffeinated Vulpine
When I went to Disney land earlier this year. Sucked all the negativity out of me.

Well not really,
Basically for the last few years life just felt boring and depressing for me. Kinda didn't give a damn about anything anymore. I rarely went out any more and wasn't doing much with my life.
Then my mom ended up in the hospital late last year for a month when she was diagnosed with necrotising fasciitis. Which is almost always fatal. She ended up pulling through after a long time, but it did bring my family a little closer together.

But it seems ever since then I've been happier and had a better outlook with life. Guess I'm just thankful knowing she didn't pass away and that life could be worse.

D

Deleted member 82554

I'd be happy just to resolve all the conflict in my life. If only it were that easy.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I'd be happy just to resolve all the conflict in my life. If only it were that easy.

I'd be happy to settle for even 50%.

I suppose it's mainly money related, but I became happier when I stopped caring what others thought of me, from looks to sexual proclivities, and stopped comparing myself to society based on superficial things like houses, cars, and all that.

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
There's a quote I found, @Simo that says "Happiness is achieved when you stop comparing yourself to others." And it seems to be true. I've been happier since I started doing that too.

I've also made the effort to consciously say to myself "Only I am responsible for my actions" which surprisingly is good as well. Don't blame surroundings or other people for it, in the end, it's just you. You can't control what happens to you, only how you react to it. In that vein, there's also the fact that I'm taking control of my anger/irritation reaction by going "will this affect me later" or "is it worth it to be mad". It's usually not, and it usually won't.

Additionally, I just read a book called "When Food is Love:Exploring the Relationship between Eating and Intimacy" by Geneen Roth. I've dealt with a lot of the problems I've had in life, but I've been struggling with self-love (I like myself, that came after a long, long struggle. I'm 36, only just really hit this point a year ago), and though compulsive eating is less my problem than trying to hide my emotions. It basically addresses the fact that people who have been through hell will do something compulsive (like eating) to hide from feeling. To hide from being intimate. To hide from potentially ever losing things- all because it's happened before in one way or another, or multiple times in many ways. Even if you don't have the eating issue, it's a very good read. It's well presented, it's not condescending or pretentious. It comes across as a helpful conversation across a table than as someone trying to boss you around to "fix" you. She even says "this is not a quick fix. It may take up to a year to see results."

when I got to middle school, I have to learn all the slang in the school and learn some curse words, I have learn that some friends are not worth fitting in with because 2 friends from my 5th grade were now people I can't stand because they were jerks to me, and I learn I have to manage my time.

Zipline

Noodle Fish
There's a quote I found, @Simo that says "Happiness is achieved when you stop comparing yourself to others." And it seems to be true. I've been happier since I started doing that too.

I've also made the effort to consciously say to myself "Only I am responsible for my actions" which surprisingly is good as well. Don't blame surroundings or other people for it, in the end, it's just you. You can't control what happens to you, only how you react to it. In that vein, there's also the fact that I'm taking control of my anger/irritation reaction by going "will this affect me later" or "is it worth it to be mad". It's usually not, and it usually won't.

Additionally, I just read a book called "When Food is Love:Exploring the Relationship between Eating and Intimacy" by Geneen Roth. I've dealt with a lot of the problems I've had in life, but I've been struggling with self-love (I like myself, that came after a long, long struggle. I'm 36, only just really hit this point a year ago), and though compulsive eating is less my problem than trying to hide my emotions. It basically addresses the fact that people who have been through hell will do something compulsive (like eating) to hide from feeling. To hide from being intimate. To hide from potentially ever losing things- all because it's happened before in one way or another, or multiple times in many ways. Even if you don't have the eating issue, it's a very good read. It's well presented, it's not condescending or pretentious. It comes across as a helpful conversation across a table than as someone trying to boss you around to "fix" you. She even says "this is not a quick fix. It may take up to a year to see results."
I overeat (as in I do not like to have leftovers) because I used to starve. We would have a small bowl of rice about 3 times a week and you had to find the rest of the food. I was 17 and lived on a diet of things I found in the snowy forest. Only to go back to a neglectful home. I think fat girls are cuter. :3

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Probably after I realized that I don't need anyone to be happy and came with terms with the fact that I don't have a sex drive? I don't know. Sometimes I just change for little to no reason xD

H

Helios276

I think after I got out of high school, I know I keep using that example but its true, you have a sense of freedom and you can just be yourself, and no one. Gives a shit, even though working will be incredibly hard due to shifty communication but I would honestly be able to be myself and not have a job versus the other way around.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
When I was a kid I was relatively happy, well ignorant is more like it. When I started to understand how the world worked, and what people can do to each other I started to become one of those loners who tried to be nice to other people but didn't really have much emotion with me. I stayed like that for a bit until me freshman year of college where I started to get a little depressed my first semester into the second and then it got better and I started to get a little happy again... after that I was clocked in the head while pitching to a former AAA played (I play college baseball) at 100+ mph and actually after that I got a little happier... until school came along again... and the stress and everything finally got to me, slowly all the way up to finals week I started getting more depressed until I was stressed enough that I felt I was going crazy in the head. After I finished school I stayed and still stay at a relative low, the only time I felt noticeably happy was a few days ago and that was pretty much dashed away in the course of a few hours of bad drivers, bad news, and a bad day at work

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
I became cynical and a dick when I realized just how easily offended and politically correct people have become. I don't give a shit if telling you your work ethic is shit and you're the laziest person I've ever met is "offending" you. You're a lazy cunt and need to learn some proper work ethics.

Doesn't help about my experience with the only known furries in my home town that were unbearable and insufferable to be around. Sole reason why I rip on majority of furries

I also enjoy shitposting as a second career c:

T

TeslaSkunk

In general i feel i have become a lot more cynical as a person, ironically when i joined the fandom. Thinking about the pure shit that some have given me in the near 3 years I have been apart of this. Im not saying its comparable or worse than others have probably had it, but i will definitely say my time here has made me a lot more distrusting and conscious of how people can treat others.