• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

When tragic things are funny

Tabasco

This morning I was talking to a coworker, who told me about a "tragic" story. Apparently down in Louisiana, six teens from two families drowned.

I was about to feel bad, and then I heard that they'd wandered off a sandbar and simply drowned in 20 feet of plain old water because none of them knew how to swim. I started to feel bad again, and then I heard that the adults didn't know how to swim either and couldn't do anything.

Then I laughed because multiple generations of dumbasses went to play in the shallows that drop off into deeper water without anyone having learned how to so much as dogpaddle, and nothing to help if someone wound up in deeper water. Natural selection isn't gone, after all, it's just more picky.

Am I a terrible person, FAF?

T

Tewin Follow

Blue, nothing you can say or think could make you a terrible person.
And I'm thinking some of this stems from being a glorious otterfur?
Anyhoo, they completely walked paddled into this one and had it coming.

Xenke

Lol.

I love things like this.

Don't feel bad OP, it's perfectly natural to laugh at tragedy in general, let alone comic tragedy.

Tragic things can sometimes be funny. All based on the original story. In the USA, it is expected to be done like that.

You are not a terrible person. Compared to you, there were much more terrible people out there.

When a soldier is being capicative for five years and missiles are fired on Eilat and the Akba, I roll on the ground laughing.

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work
Schadenfreude: originally German for "Look, that Jew fell down."

VoidBat

No, it's okay to point and laugh.

This also applies to people who get drunk, fall asleep and die in a snowdrift during the winter.

Nyloc

Evil villain
In b4 banhammer.

He wasn't nearly specific enough - I couldn't tell what he was referring to.

I usually cover up laughing at horrific situations with a quick "I'm sorry, I use humour to overcome feelings of sadness. My therapist recommended it."

Tally

He wasn't nearly specific enough - I couldn't tell what he was referring to.

On September 11, 2001, in the morning, when I turned on the TV, and the plane, hijacked by al-Qaeda hit the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, so I hit the floor laughing.

Last edited:
T

Tewin Follow

I usually cover up laughing at horrific situations with a quick "I'm sorry, I use humour to overcome feelings of sadness. My therapist recommended it."

Good Lord, this is brilliant.

Koronikov

whenever someone gets hurt i laugh whenever i get hurt i laugh whenever someone dies, i pretend to feel bad but inside im laughing, Whenever something goes terrbily wrong for someone that indirectly effects me i get pissed off, doesnt make much sense but that how i work

Tally

whenever someone gets hurt i laugh whenever i get hurt i laugh whenever someone dies, i pretend to feel bad but inside im laughing, Whenever something goes terrbily wrong for someone that indirectly effects me i get pissed off, doesnt make much sense but that how i work

Why would you laugh when someone dies? If it was a comical death, sure, but a normal passing away? There is something wrong with you!

Koronikov

Why would you laugh when someone dies? If it was a comical death, sure, but a normal passing away? There is something wrong with you!

no i just view death in brighter light than most, they have finished and im happy for them but now they rot and im still alive

When I die i dont anyone to mourn my loss I want celebration and rejoicing, crying for the dead doesnt bring them back it just makes you feel even worse than you do

Last edited:

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work
On September 11, 2001, in the morning, when I turned on the TV, and the plane, hijacked by al-Qaeda hit the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, so I hit the floor laughing.

You weren't supposed to laugh until Jerry Falwell started talking.

KiloFox

*lobs Prinny*
you're not a bad person... you're just like me!
wait... *I* am a bad person...
damnit
irregardless! it just means you enjoy dark humour... it's perfectly fine

Bambi

Joined 2008 - Returned 2022
This morning I was talking to a coworker, who told me about a "tragic" story. Apparently down in Louisiana, six teens from two families drowned.

I was about to feel bad, and then I heard that they'd wandered off a sandbar and simply drowned in 20 feet of plain old water because none of them knew how to swim. I started to feel bad again, and then I heard that the adults didn't know how to swim either and couldn't do anything.

Then I laughed because multiple generations of dumbasses went to play in the shallows that drop off into deeper water without anyone having learned how to so much as dogpaddle, and nothing to help if someone wound up in deeper water. Natural selection isn't gone, after all, it's just more picky.

Am I a terrible person, FAF?
How can people not swim?

Okay, that's a cruel and pointless question, so let me ask that a bit differently. Rather, how can it never occur to someone that the human body has a semi-natural buoyancy? For me, that whole situation seems rather queer in that not one person would know how to swim (just by instinct, although I understand it can happen sometimes.) For those of you who don't know how to swim? Just roll over on your back and don't splash.