• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Where Are Other Good Websites To Advertise/Sell Writing Coms?

fernshiine

Between FA and DA, I get enough writing commissions to last me for a while. I am working on my own book but I want to build a following through free stories and commissions on various platforms. What other websites are good for this? I find Wattpad is good for publishing free stuff but nearly impossible to find a commissioner on, especially with the removal of forums.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
If you don't mind me asking, how have you had any success getting commissions on DeviantArt? I'd rather not get paid in Disneybux or whatever in-site currency they got.

I used to have a lot of success on SF, but things have quieted down since the pandemic got really bad.

fernshiine

To be honest, I used the forums on there for a while. I only stopped because the forums in general are...yipes on that website. Some people favorited my writing commissions and then PM'd me later as well.

I was thinking of posting on SF too but I agree that I've noticed the lack of...anything...there since the pandemic progressed. I'm still new to that website but seeing it as a ghost town place is so WEEEEEEEIRD

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
Ah, so you used the forums? I was posting stuff in my gallery and while people did read it, it never translated to a commission so I kind of stopped. What do you mean about the forums being bad? I don't mind things being bad as long as the clients are willing to pay.

I had minor success on Inkbunny but I also attribute that to more regular posting of stories.

I also agree that SoFurry is super dead. 80% of my clients used to come from there but I haven't had a new one from that site since maybe October? It's rough.

fernshiine

Yeah, I wish SoFurry wasn't dead. It's sad, really, to see it like that.

And with DeviantArt I used the forums and gallery, along with the journal. I still do but I don't find the DA community to be pleasurable for me by any means unless it's in certain groups or fandoms.

Writing commissions are an interesting task to fulfill, I find. I've been looking for new places for a while. FA is my favorite but I do get the odd bad commissioner from time to time. Not as often as other websites. I might try SF again soon, though.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
Maybe I'll take a look at the DA forums and give them another try. FA is really sporadic but the biggest problem I find is that the pandemic has really hurt everyone's bank accounts.

Best of luck.

Lycandope

I get random requests for commissions just from all the posts I make on FA, DA, SF and some other places. But, I kinda hate taking commissions. What's worked for me is doing a Patreon because I way prefer writing what I want. Although, my highest tier reward allows those readers to give a 1 sentence writing prompt that I'll use to make a story.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
I get random requests for commissions just from all the posts I make on FA, DA, SF and some other places. But, I kinda hate taking commissions. What's worked for me is doing a Patreon because I way prefer writing what I want. Although, my highest tier reward allows those readers to give a 1 sentence writing prompt that I'll use to make a story.

If you ever get a commission that you don't want, I'll happily take them.

I'll even give you a finder's fee based on the first monetary transaction received from anyone you send my way.

I'm also curious as to how you got Patreon working. I slapped something together prior to my double move and never really ironed out the details for that.

Lycandope

If you ever get a commission that you don't want, I'll happily take them.

I'll even give you a finder's fee based on the first monetary transaction received from anyone you send my way.

I'm also curious as to how you got Patreon working. I slapped something together prior to my double move and never really ironed out the details for that.

Unfortunately, everyone's that asked for a commission was specifically asking due to my style rather than just looking for anyone to do a commission so I don't think that would work. Sorry!

Couldn't tell you much on Patreon. I set up the page and then advertised in the journals on the places I post. I can do about 3 stories a month there and I post one a month publicly from there with a tiny blurb in the description pointing people to my Patreon if they want more. So, no pressure and non-patrons can still get the older stories slowly. I only have basic tiers from $2 (to entice people in) to read stories up to $10 where people can make a writing prompt.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
Unfortunately, everyone's that asked for a commission was specifically asking due to my style rather than just looking for anyone to do a commission so I don't think that would work. Sorry!

Couldn't tell you much on Patreon. I set up the page and then advertised in the journals on the places I post. I can do about 3 stories a month there and I post one a month publicly from there with a tiny blurb in the description pointing people to my Patreon if they want more. So, no pressure and non-patrons can still get the older stories slowly. I only have basic tiers from $2 (to entice people in) to read stories up to $10 where people can make a writing prompt.

All good. I just have no problem writing anything and everything so that's how I get the majority of my clients.

I took a look on your Patreon and it seems to have garnered success because of diligence and persistence. It also helps that you've been doing smut writing for years more than I have. Here's to hoping I catch up to you sooner than later.

Lycandope

All good. I just have no problem writing anything and everything so that's how I get the majority of my clients.

I took a look on your Patreon and it seems to have garnered success because of diligence and persistence. It also helps that you've been doing smut writing for years more than I have. Here's to hoping I catch up to you sooner than later.

Oh, yeah, I've been writing for nearly 10 years now. So a lot of it may have just been building up a good fan base on FA, DA and everywhere else. I have a 1000 watchers on FA and over 700 on DA so that probably helps a ton. Good PR. And then just making sure I keep on track for putting out new content. It sucks sometimes but the extra money is awfully nice.

fernshiine

Oh, yeah, I've been writing for nearly 10 years now. So a lot of it may have just been building up a good fan base on FA, DA and everywhere else. I have a 1000 watchers on FA and over 700 on DA so that probably helps a ton. Good PR. And then just making sure I keep on track for putting out new content. It sucks sometimes but the extra money is awfully nice.
Thanks! Reading your advice (not to mention stalking this convo that happened while I was away, lol) has been a huge help for me!

People like my style as well, so I just have to remember to write my own original stories consistently. I'm still new seeing as I just graduated and all, but I have all the time in the world right now to practice, experiment, and learn!

I've never had any terrible clients other than some who think I can read their minds without them properly describing what they want, but I find most commissioners really pleasurable to work with! Weirdest would be one wanting me to use myself as the protagonist (I had to decline this one-) because he found characters to be "too fake". It was a fetish story...so...yeah. Other than that particular one I take any commission. Ones that have super-uber-complex worlds sometimes take longer.

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
Weirdest would be one wanting me to use myself as the protagonist (I had to decline this one-) because he found characters to be "too fake". It was a fetish story...so...yeah. Other than that particular one I take any commission. Ones that have super-uber-complex worlds sometimes take longer.

Same offer applies to you and everyone reading this. I'll take on any potential clients you don't want and give you a finder's fee based on the first payment I receive.