• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Where are the ads?

Seppel

Where are all the ads on the main site?

This might seem like an odd question, but as someone who's purchased ad space, I'd like to know where they've gone to.

I overheard something about this early in July, but couldn't find a single post about it.

J

jayhusky

The ads software keeps overloading the hardware it's run on..

I'm sure dragoneer or another admin can explain more but I would think that your purchased adspace will resume when they return..

You need not worry at the moment.

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
From a technical aspect, the problem is that OpenX interacts badly with VMWare. We've tried both on Linux and FreeBSD. In both cases, kernel panics, IO contention, everything you don't want to see in a production environment.

We've got some hardware available to us now that should be able to handle the ad system until we can work with OpenX to resolve the VMWare issue. The ads should be back online in the next day or two.

As for the administrative issues... I am not an administrator. And this nightmare is not a task I envy. :p

Unless you purchased an ad space,it's GOOD that they aren't showing up.>_>

Pinkuh

Shino

Now with more Writer's Block!
FA is the only site I've ever been on where I don't mind the ads. They're not obnoxiously annoying, they're well placed, and they're actually intresting (some of the time).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like FA just the way it is, ads and all (when they're working, that is).

Last edited by a moderator:
those ads pay for part of this site dear. I'd rather have them show up.

Oh =/ Atleast they were just on the bottom when they were around (that I know of).

SailorYue

im His kitty cat
the only ads that IMO are anoying are the big flashy ones that adlbockers miss. if they were text ads, theyd be a good thing to use. they should be here

Renard_v

FAT DONGS
i'm rather eagerly awaiting the return of ads; i bought space about a month ago, and haven't had any airtime due to the lack of ads at all :[

Charrio

Artistic Mouse
God i am glad the Ads are gone,
I have no problem with most of them, but the CONSTANT Bad Dragon ads and sex toy ads all over FA when you come to the site is terrible.

Ive had a family member come to this site, not even logged in since they have no account and saw the adult toy ads which were all over and now is Weirded out bigtime by furs and this site, since it was evey page loading was Adult toys on the bottom Ad panel every time.

If you do bring back the Ads, can we please have some discretion like only adult ads with the mature filter on???

J

jayhusky

Charrio..

i do believe that it can be done.. but it would take a while to find a ad software that is compatible with FA's content filters.

Foxstar

lol reggin
Ads? What are those. Oh wait, those things that show up if you don't use ABP?

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
I've had some issues with the FA ad filesizes being too large - Sometimes as large as the sum of all the other images on the page (animated GIF ads with a high frame rate and colour depth with long transitions when it's nowhere nearly necessary). It only really causes a delay on first load, however. I mentioned this a while back, but I suppose bandwidth isn't an issue for FA, since Yak didn't have any issues with it. :p

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Site Director
Administrator
I've had some issues with the FA ad filesizes being too large - Sometimes as large as the sum of all the other images on the page (animated GIF ads with a high frame rate and colour depth with long transitions when it's nowhere nearly necessary). It only really causes a delay on first load, however. I mentioned this a while back, but I suppose bandwidth isn't an issue for FA, since Yak didn't have any issues with it. :p
Ads are limited to 100k for small ads, 200k for leaderboard banner ads.

FoxyGamers

Sorry to go offtopic but since where talking about adds can someone link me to where to purchase this adspace so i may look at it?

Even though i'm newly registerd i've been visiting for a long time and dont mind the ad's. Nowdays every website has ads on it and i jsut look past them.

tsawolf

God i am glad the Ads are gone,
I have no problem with most of them, but the CONSTANT Bad Dragon ads and sex toy ads all over FA when you come to the site is terrible.

Ive had a family member come to this site, not even logged in since they have no account and saw the adult toy ads which were all over and now is Weirded out bigtime by furs and this site, since it was evey page loading was Adult toys on the bottom Ad panel every time.

If you do bring back the Ads, can we please have some discretion like only adult ads with the mature filter on???

Adult ads only come up when you are logged in and have mature art enabled.

You must have been logged in.