• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Where can I go in fursuit? And how do I approach doing so?

Kuro_the_Cat

Hi there,
I'm almost done with making my first partial fursuit! Woot!! But, because I can't attend any LondonFurs meets until my 16th birthday in November, and I can't attend any local con in the UK until I'm 18, what should I do in the meantime?

And how do i approach this? How do I, say, ring up the London police and ask them if I'm allowed to fursuit in the city (Or, my handler at least, who is my parent)? Or call an establishment of some kind and tell them what I'm doing? Does my handler have to carry my photographic ID around, or do we have to get some kind of document for wearing a mask in public?
And am I allowed to go to public places like my local park/local forest (with a pathway so I don't damage my partial) if they are completely public and belong to my village council? I plan to do some photoshoots out in nature for an Instagram account. Nobody really goes there except dogwalkers and children on warm days, I doubt they'll disturb me and I definitely won't cause them any trouble.

I'm really excited to fursuit in public. I'm not worried about people staring at me or being disgusted at me being a furry or wearing a costume in public - I refused to be bothered by people throwing insults at me. If I can't fursuit in public, it's not long before I'm 16 and can attend LondonFurs meetups, and I'll definitely go to anime or comic cons as I am an otaku as well.

Thanks for your help, friends!

Kuro~

shadytay

A baby
If you plan on suiting in an establishment call them up and ask about their policies on costumes and masks. Maybe explain that you are an enthusiast and would like to show off your work with the general public and spin it as entertainment that the place doesn't have to pay for? If they refuse just take it as that and try somewhere else. I don't know about parks and stuff. Maybe call the recreation department or check their website for costume polices? I would think you shouldn't have a problem with parks but it's better safe than sorry right?

Kuro_the_Cat

If you plan on suiting in an establishment call them up and ask about their policies on costumes and masks. Maybe explain that you are an enthusiast and would like to show off your work with the general public and spin it as entertainment that the place doesn't have to pay for? If they refuse just take it as that and try somewhere else. I don't know about parks and stuff. Maybe call the recreation department or check their website for costume polices? I would think you shouldn't have a problem with parks but it's better safe than sorry right?
Ah, I see. That makes sense.
My local park is literally just a giant field with a little forest, a car park and a children's play area that's fenced off. I think it belongs to my local (parish) council, and they don't have a website. I only plan on using the forest and field there, but emailing my village council might be a good idea in case someone thinks I'm suspicious.

shadytay

A baby
Ah, I see. That makes sense.
My local park is literally just a giant field with a little forest, a car park and a children's play area that's fenced off. I think it belongs to my local (parish) council, and they don't have a website. I only plan on using the forest and field there, but emailing my village council might be a good idea in case someone thinks I'm suspicious.

Sounds good! let me know how it goes!

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
You could see if some charities would allow you to participate as a collector at events. Also it may be worth checking with small fetes that are taking place to see if they will allow you to participate.
When you explain what it is you do you could say it is a mascot suit as fursuiting is not always so well known in general in the UK.

As for LondonFurs it will be well worth the wait. A good number turn up to the meets including a good number of people in suit.
If you have any questions that the FAQ on the londonfurs.org.uk does not cover then you can contact them via londonfurs.org.uk: Contact • LondonFurs

Kuro_the_Cat

You could see if some charities would allow you to participate as a collector at events. Also it may be worth checking with small fetes that are taking place to see if they will allow you to participate.
When you explain what it is you do you could say it is a mascot suit as fursuiting is not always so well known in general in the UK.

As for LondonFurs it will be well worth the wait. A good number turn up to the meets including a good number of people in suit.
If you have any questions that the FAQ on the londonfurs.org.uk does not cover then you can contact them via londonfurs.org.uk: Contact • LondonFurs

Okay, Thank you for the info! It's the summer - there'll be a tonne of fetes going on and I could raise money for animal charities. I'll see if my parent will be able to contact them if there are any going on near me.
I honestly can't wait for LondonFurs. It'll be awesome to see other furries.