• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Where do you imagine your imagination?

Kazooie

Crusader for Cute
I was free-associating on the subway today, eyes closed, and noticed that all the images I was imagining were appearing "around where my vision should be". That's not to say I was *seeing* the images, but they were appearing around the "area". When I opened my eyes, the location shifted to where I imagine by head to be.

Of course, imagination and thoughts don't really occupy physical space (ok , they're sort of are nebulous clouds, but...), so them being assigned a location doens't really make sense, from that perspective. So I'm curious, does anyone else have a space where they imagine their imagination to be?

DarrylWolf

Banned
Banned
I let my mind wander from time to time and so I'd imagine things when I'm supposed to be paying attention. And then I have thoughts that are inappropriate- like I might see myself at a Broad Street nightclub in 1978 or listening to a speech by James Baldwin, neither one of these would make much sense.

Kazooie

Crusader for Cute
...what?

lay off the shrooms, kid.

You may want to lay off the drugs for a while. o_O
I don't need to do drugs to imagine things? I'm assuming most people can visualize complex images and events in their mind, and I'm just curious where in their conscious experience those images appear to occur (if anywhere).

Last edited:

Jags

Shepherd of Fire
Normally in bed.

Oh, oh I getcha.

RedLeFrench

Writer extraordinaire
If I get things right, you're asking where do our imaginations run the best ? If that's the case, I can say my mind wanders off easier while on the train/tram/car or... Weirdly enough, the kitchen. Prob'bly because I use to do the washing up and got all the time to think about stuff to write ^^

LadyToorima

Nyaa nyaa~
If I get things right, you're asking where do our imaginations run the best ? If that's the case, I can say my mind wanders off easier while on the train/tram/car or... Weirdly enough, the kitchen. Prob'bly because I use to do the washing up and got all the time to think about stuff to write ^^

Is he asking that, or is he asking what we imagine when we imagine? This makes no sense to me. @_@

Kazooie

Crusader for Cute
Is he asking that, or is he asking what we imagine when we imagine? This makes no sense to me. @_@
So most people don't assign a location in their visual field/consciousness for the images they visualize, is what I can take from this?

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
I find when I'm imagining things, I usually "see" them just above the center of my field of view. Maybe directly above my FOV, even.

Itzal

When I imagine things, I usually "see" them in the environment I created for them, if that makes sense. I usually don't picture/create a single thing on its own. It usually comes with a habitat of its own.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Things I imagine seem to be in a separate part of my visuals. I see it in my head but not physically or even semi physically.

I don't really seem to imagine better anywhere, but it helps a lot to have music for my usual imaginations. Since I'm a big fan of dubstep I usually imagine crazy starships firing their lasers, sometimes with my large and fluffy armada fleet commander Supreme Lordess Valthera. I've got her in my gallery if any of you want to peek~ bad artwork but I explain why in the description of it.

Gnarl

The Arcane Sage
I think what your asking is where the visual aspect occurs? As in do we see the images as if we where sitting in a seat at a theater and watching them?
I would have to say no. You see the imagination exists within a persons inner self. I can be looking directly at the computer and typing the story while at the same time I am watching the whole thing play out in my head. The visual aspect for me is not visual but virtual. One can imagine that they are in a star ship spinning off out of control, deep in space. You will note that the stars and space itself seems to move and your reference to yourself is stable. The phenomenon has always been called the minds eye. Now maybe there are some who will disagree, but for most humans the center of cognition and creativity has always been the minds eye.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
So most people don't assign a location in their visual field/consciousness for the images they visualize, is what I can take from this?
I still think you're tripping.
Not making any sense!

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
I know exactly what you're asking, and it's difficult to explain. But yes, I do imagine things going on around me in real-time. As if they're there, but they're not.

S

Sar

So uh yeah I hear you bro. I know bang on what you're talking about. It's an exactly true story. Do you see my point if you know what I mean? Yeah cool.

Bitchin nap

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
Imagine a black room with images projected all in the space around my head, like an IMAX projector with a thousand projectors displaying different things on the same screen. When I'm focused, it's like a black tunnel with Tetsuo and the Espers traveling through it at the end of Akira.

Bloodshot_Eyes

I don't need to do drugs to imagine things? I'm assuming most people can visualize complex images and events in their mind, and I'm just curious where in their conscious experience those images appear to occur (if anywhere).
Are you an alien?

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
I dream where quaternions roam freely and are understood by all.

(FYI, quaternions are complex numbers with 1 real component & 3 imaginary components, corresponding with i, j and k where i = (sqrt(-1), 0, 0), j=(0, sqrt(-1), 0) and k=(0, 0, sqrt(-1))

Quaternions are the foundation of all modern 3D games. All hail quaternions!

dleedh

I think I know what you mean. If I am daydreaming, the directional sense of my imagination builds upon what is actually around me. So if I daydream for a while then turn 90 degrees, my whole daydream goes haywire. It's like if I build a world while facing a wall, that world is all fine and hunky dory as long as I face that wall.

Is that about right?

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
I get what you're saying. For me, the space that I "see" what I'm imagining, is also in front of my eyes if my eyes are closed, and its usually around my temples or back of the head if I'm day dreaming while I have my eyes open and focusing on things around me.