• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Where'd the political discussion forum go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAM

Let me guess: it was too difficult to moderate it consistently and effectively so it was removed until further notice.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I was waiting for someone to ask this.

It's banished to the depths of hell where it belongs. And no, I don't want it to come back.

A dumpster fire every day is not on the list of things I want in this fandom. All of those 'debates' and 'discussions' either got derailed in minutes, were enticing people to come in and see who could shout the loudest or were based on nothing but sheer misinformation.

If you want political discussions, there's hundreds of platforms out there. Take Twitter or FurryLifeOnline (shudders). But for right now, I don't want this to make a return.

RAM

I was waiting for someone to ask this.

It's banished to the depths of hell where it belongs. And no, I don't want it to come back.

A dumpster fire every day is not on the list of things I want in this fandom. All of those 'debates' and 'discussions' either got derailed in minutes, were enticing people to come in and see who could shout the loudest or were based on nothing but sheer misinformation.

If you want political discussions, there's hundreds of platforms out there. Take Twitter or FurryLifeOnline (shudders). But for right now, I don't want this to make a return.

I don't know why you had a problem with it. You had the power to simply not click the link that led to that particular forum.

What is up with modern society's tendency to take personal issue with things that it can easily avoid engaging with? It's really quite baffling.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
My chief concern with the ripped-bandaid removal of the Politics subforum is one I think most people familiar with the concept of "containment boards" have right about now: What happens next?

Because one look at some of the threads in Community and General (as well as people's constant insistence to bring up FLO)... well...
As while we could always move general News / Events back to... well, General, doing so kind of relies on a presumption that we won't immediately return to the days of '17 / '18 wherein users took such as an excuse to make threads discussing [EXAMPLE OMITTED FROM QUOTE]
It seems to suggest that what happens next is what usually happens when "containment boards" go bye-bye.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
It seems to suggest that what happens next is what usually happens when "containment boards" go bye-bye.
It wasn't a containment board. It was something of an experiment that didn't go as well as we had hopped, but at the same time, ended up going exactly how we imagined it would. It ended up propagating a lot of misinformation and conspiracy theories, and I made the call to cut it because it was generating more problems than it was worth.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
I don't know why you had a problem with it. You had the power to simply not click the link that led to that particular forum.

What is up with modern society's tendency to take personal issue with things that it can easily avoid engaging with? It's really quite baffling.
All the section did is stir up trouble. Do you really like arguing with someone who won't bother to read what you just said that much?

My chief concern with the ripped-bandaid removal of the Politics subforum is one I think most people familiar with the concept of "containment boards" have right about now: What happens next?

Because one look at some of the threads in Community and General (as well as people's constant insistence to bring up FLO)... well...

We bring up FLO cos it's one big steaming pile of faecal matter. It's a hellhole. It's not even sure if it's Christmas day or Boxing day. You just TRY and go on there. You'll have your intestines ripped out and eaten in 3 seconds flat for having your own opinion on ANYTHING.

All people did was abuse the politics section anyway, complain at the mod staff for being late to the party and use it as a battleground for settling personal disputes.

In other words, it was abused by it's own userbase. We had dumpster fires every day, pretty much. Perhaps the community can't be trusted to have a section like that in the first place.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
We bring up FLO cos it's one big steaming pile of faecal matter. It's a hellhole.
*tips his admin hat* I'd be mighty appreciative if you could keep civil towards other sites. We're all apart of the same fandom, and while we have our differences, let's try to be polite.

Rayd

profound asshole
as someone who was one of the first people to make an account on FLO, im here to tell you that the community very quickly turned into an echo chamber that was quick to demonize, silence and banish anybody that even remotely disagreed with them about the most trivial of topics. the entire website became for those only interested in witch hunting their own community until they had their own utopia of people that all thought the same way they did.

i'm not saying the politics sub-forum here would ever become nearly that bad, but personally, maybe it's best to keep that sort of discussion private, or at least to communities specifically designed for political discussion.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
*tips his admin hat* I'd be mighty appreciative if you could keep civil towards other sites. We're all apart of the same fandom, and while we have our differences, let's try to be polite.
So long as FAF doesn't make the same mistake as FLO did, I'll be happy. Allowing political discussion to spill into driving out half your userbase is a good way to brand yourself as a hellhole. Sorry, but that's just how people are seeing it, with what happened in FAF's absence.

Now, that isn't the fault of anybody here, but when it's mentioned, I find the best course of action is to be brutally honest about my experiences and that of others on that site. If I didn't do that, I'd be lying through my teeth, at best.

I will be polite from now onwards about it. That's fair enough, at the end of the day.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
It wasn't a containment board. It was something of an experiment that didn't go as well as we had hopped, but at the same time, ended up going exactly how we imagined it would. It ended up propagating a lot of misinformation and conspiracy theories, and I made the call to cut it because it was generating more problems than it was worth.
Quite fair and understandable. I'm... familiar, with the News & Politics effect: Another Xenforo forum I use to be a part of had much the same issue. Less of the misinformation and conspiracy theories, but tripling down on the "generating more problems than it was worth".

This said, well, again: It did not take long for people to take that as carte blanche to drop their Hot Takes elsewhere on the site.

All people did was abuse the politics section anyway, complain at the mod staff for being late to the party and use it as a battleground for settling personal disputes.
Congratulations: You have successfully described every online social media / webforum with a population greater than 100 users!

Also, as somebody who is... shall we say, privy to a few users and their posts on FLO, I would strongly recommend FAFers in general to not throw stones in glass houses. Both because the site Admin said to knock it off, and because I seem to recall some of the people whinging about FLO singing an entirely different tune when they were whinging on FLO about FAF and its community. Or, heck, whinging on FAF about FAF and its community.

Dragoneer

Site Developer
Staff member
Site Director
Administrator
So long as FAF doesn't make the same mistake as FLO did, I'll be happy. Allowing political discussion to spill into driving out half your userbase is a good way to brand yourself as a hellhole. Sorry, but that's just how people are seeing it, with what happened in FAF's absence.
I'm all for civil discussion. FA/FAF are about promoting healthy community, not divisive issues (part of the reason we axed the political forum). We want to grow our community and have people feel like they're contributing to something positive. Yeah, we'll have disagreements from time to time about how we go about that process, but all we ask is that people be polite in their differences.

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
I'm all for civil discussion. FA/FAF are about promoting healthy community, not divisive issues (part of the reason we axed the political forum). We want to grow our community and have people feel like they're contributing to something positive. Yeah, we'll have disagreements from time to time about how we go about that process, but all we ask is that people be polite in their differences.
If you want to help the forum be positive then deal with the "Why furries are terrible" thread plz thx

MrSpookyBoots

Disgusted...
I'm actually pretty happy that the political discussion board was done away with. I barely, if ever, participated in it. The fact that it's been done away with doesn't mean it's the end of the world. If one would like to discuss politics, they can always get a Tweeter™ account or stick to other sites. One in particular has already been mentioned.

LeFay

Professional meme inspector
Congratulations: You have successfully described every online social media / webforum with a population greater than 100 users!

Also, as somebody who is... shall we say, privy to a few users and their posts on FLO, I would strongly recommend FAFers in general to not throw stones in glass houses. Both because the site Admin said to knock it off, and because I seem to recall some of the people whinging about FLO singing an entirely different tune when they were whinging on FLO about FAF and its community. Or, heck, whinging on FAF about FAF and its community.

Difference being of course that hot button topics tend to breed more toxicity then others. Of course people always argue about something, no matter how petty. But some topics are much like lightning rods that eventually burn down the whole house.

Lucyfur

United forever in friendship and labour
Banned
Now we can have the real important discussions instead of the toxic waste that is politics we can focus on... is cheese cake a cake or a flan?

Ovidia Dragoness

Udder Derg
Banned
tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.