• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Virgil Ice

Hello all, I have a question. Did you create your fursona's backstory and post it first or did you have artwork commissioned (or done yourself) before you let others know their backstory? I'm asking because I already have a sufficiently detailed backstory for my fursona, but I have no artwork and I'm worried that a story without artwork might be strange and feel incomplete if others can't see what he looks like before knowing his history. Any and all comments are appreciated.

J

Jack Dakuyo

Hello Mr.Conroy! greetings!

My own personal experience was the same as yours. I had the story ready and done 3 years before I even knew about this whole thing,or bothered making art.In my own opinion,pretty much as long as you can give a decent worded explanation,I'd see absolutely no trouble at all,of course a picture would help it a bit, but a story is a story my Sir!.I'm sure it will serve you well regardless.

Virgil Ice

I'm kind of an unpublished writer so I like to think I can give a sufficiently detailed backstory. Once I get a decent bit of time to myself, I'll plan on writing out his backstory to really let people get to know him. He's a very interesting character with an in depth past.

J

Jack Dakuyo

I'm kind of an unpublished writer so I like to think I can give a sufficiently detailed backstory. Once I get a decent bit of time to myself, I'll plan on writing out his backstory to really let people get to know him. He's a very interesting character with an in depth past.

Oh alright,cool!. I'm sure you'll do fine.That's probably going to be the hardest part is finding the time to work on stuff lol. But yes that's always nice when they have in depth stories...Well good luck on your adventure sir! I bid thee well.^^

E

ellaerna

Counter question: is a novel incomplete if it's not illustrated? Does a book need pictures to be good?

Of course not!

If you tell a good story you won't need visual aides because the reader will be able to picture everything in their mind. If you want art then get art, but don't feel like you have to for the sake of others

Cloudyhue

Certified Fuzzbutt
Actually, I'd reccommend creating the charcacter's personality and backstory before making their design. That way you can center their appearance around what they're like as a person, making it easier to visually profile them. This makes for better characters!

When I first made my fursona, she was a random doodle that sounded like a cool looking design in my head. Her original design tells basically nothing about what she is like. Now I redesigned her with her personality in mind, making her as a character that much more cohesive.

J

Jin-Lust-4-Sin

I just make my sona's personality completely based on mine. Exactly 100%. As for the appearance... meh, a completely different story. I just drew however I wanna represent myself, and bam, I got Jin, the clumsy minotaur !

JamesOtters

A small, cute, but helpless otter.
Hello all, I have a question. Did you create your fursona's backstory and post it first or did you have artwork commissioned (or done yourself) before you let others know their backstory? I'm asking because I already have a sufficiently detailed backstory for my fursona, but I have no artwork and I'm worried that a story without artwork might be strange and feel incomplete if others can't see what he looks like before knowing his history. Any and all comments are appreciated.

I actually developed my Fursona's Personality then got a picture, and then made a backstory. I did this because I only realized that he would be better with a backstory, all though his personality is a bit Cliche. Oh well.