• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Which Community is Friendlier? FA or DeviantART?

Which Community is friendlier?

• FurAffinity

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • DeviantART

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters

StarAngelWolf

I personally think it's FA. The community seems a lot more friendlier than DA.

Here are my pros and cons for both:

FA PROS - Has a nice community, despite the art mostly revolving around just one topic (furries/anthros) and the like, there are many talented artists with diverse skills. The website is simple and easy to use. The forums are better. The front page has newest first.

FA CONS - There is some art that is a little strange but this goes for DA too so they both cross each other out. The art categories could be organized differently but that's just me.

DA PROS - A lot more artists in general than FA. (Probably because it's more than one specific community than just furries, like concept art for example.) Has more categories. You can find recognizable/well-known artists, for example Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch), Lauren Faust (My Little Pony) etc.

DA CONS - A lot of art thieves. A lot of kids who aren't 13 years or older. Trolls are everywhere.

Which one do you guys think is better overall/more welcoming?

Last edited:

Lopaw

Wandering artist weasel
I found on DA if you don’t or can’t draw anime styled stuff it is much harder to get a following.

Also the groups on there that have elite in their name are impossible to get art into unless you can draw art that looks like it was concept art for a game, some don’t have elite in the name but the same high standards.

Overal I find FA friendlier as it is smaller and you see more varied styles of art. FA having a proper forum (The one on DA is a glorified comments system) also helps.

StarAngelWolf

I found on DA if you don’t or can’t draw anime styled stuff it is much harder to get a following.

Also the groups on there that have elite in their name are impossible to get art into unless you can draw art that looks like it was concept art for a game, some don’t have elite in the name but the same high standards.

Overal I find FA friendlier as it is smaller and you see more varied styles of art. FA having a proper forum (The one on DA is a glorified comments system) also helps.

I agree with the you on forums. This one seems a lot more fleshed out while the one on DeviantART is a little too simple/cluttered. It doesn't really feel like a typical forum layout.

It's true that if you don't draw popular subjects like Disney, anime, animals, cute stuff, etc that it's less likely that a lot of people will be willing to see it or watch you. But one of the pros of DeviantART is that there's a lot more people on the site so there's content for pretty much everyone if you look hard enough.

There are some groups that allow anyone or almost anyone to post. The only downside is that there's a greater chance that it has a small following. I haven't seen any large groups that are willing to help artists showcase their artwork regardless of their skill level. I also don't like how the front page starts with the most popular instead of newest. That's what I find cool about FA's front page.

Nyashia

I think there's no big difference. DeviantART seems to have a lot of (underage) children, though. There's tons of crap being posted without the site mods doing anything against it and which was why I left DA as an artist.

@StarAngelWolf : You can change what you see on the front page by clicking "Newest" in the left column.

StarAngelWolf

I think there's no big difference. DeviantART seems to have a lot of (underage) children, though. There's tons of crap being posted without the site mods doing anything against it and which was why I left DA as an artist.

@StarAngelWolf : You can change what you see on the front page by clicking "Newest" in the left column.

I know. I was just pointing out the fact that most popular is default instead of newest. So the first thing members see is the most popular ones at the moment instead of giving artists who just posted a chance to get their art noticed. I doubt many users use the newest option because most of the time they don't like what they see. Whenever I try to put newest it always brings me back to 'popular in 24 hours'. It's slightly annoying.

DA does seem chaotic at times. I get where you're coming from.

Last edited:

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
I honestly wouldn't suggest either but DA did have an artist decline a $100 commission because my dragon was too "Christmasy" whatever that means.

Oh but fa has these not really popular yet poppufurs who trashed me for making adopts when I needed money and telling his fans to report/harass me because I'm a shitty artist and I need to quit.

... Yeah both suck shit. Let's just stick to ffa

bhutrflai

Okami The Wolf is my crazy half!
I honestly wouldn't suggest either but DA did have an artist decline a $100 commission because my dragon was too "Christmasy" whatever that means.

Oh but fa has these not really popular yet poppufurs who trashed me for making adopts when I needed money and telling his fans to report/harass me because I'm a shitty artist and I need to quit.

... Yeah both suck shit. Let's just stick to ffa
Sounds like the DA artist was just being temperamental. Could be they were just shocked by how absolutely amazing your avatar is & they were scared to take it on...yeah, let's go with that.

As far as on FA, that 'popufur' is jealous as shit! Why would someone go to the trouble of telling other people to avoid you because of your 'skill level'? FA has plenty of amateur art, and some of it is pretty rough. But thats no reason to call you out like that. Do they really have nothing else to think about & that much extra time on their hands?

Sometimes, people suck shit.

ResolutionBlaze

Angry Local
Banned
FA for sure.

Despite the cancerous political threads, they dont compare to dA. Here its occational; on dA its regular.

Art is also more accessible. I like FA's interface far better.

KILL.MAIM.KILL

Angry Lizard King
Banned
DeviantArt. FA is full of manchildren, stuck-up pretentious wannabes, and of course, perverts.

Less of that among the DA crowd. It still happens on occassion, but not as much.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Lol, as someone who still has their stuff from over 15 years posted there, I can contest that DA is where artists usually get their start. However, I don't really think theres any thing wrong with that. It's just a problem when people use the gallery to repost "art that they like" instead of their own art.

Both places has people so I'm certain they can be equally toxic.

From a personal experience however I've had a harder time on Deviantart and people doing and saying stupid things there aimed at me, but I've also been there longer and engaged with more people so it could be a main reason.

StarAngelWolf

Both places has people so I'm certain they can be equally toxic.

From a personal experience however I've had a harder time on Deviantart and people doing and saying stupid things there aimed at me, but I've also been there longer and engaged with more people so it could be a main reason.

Oh hey Red. I remember you from FH. I haven't gone there in a really long time.

What kind of things would they say that were dumb? I don't get why people would go out of their way to create conflicts, unless they had issues themselves.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I've never really understood how to really navigate Deviant Art, and have not been to the site in ages...but it didn't really seem very 'friendly', inasmuch as all I recall was being confused by the entire layout. But that was some time back; I gave up browsing about the place based on lack of content that appealed to me, and, confusion.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
DA if you’re not a super amazing fanartist good damned luck. Here your ocs actually get attention. DA people tell you to sit down and shut up, FA at least generally tries to help.

At least in my experience.

And I made it pretty well in the adoptable pony side of it once upon a time.

Oh hey Red. I remember you from FH. I haven't gone there in a really long time.

What kind of things would they say that were dumb? I don't get why people would go out of their way to create conflicts, unless they had issues themselves.
What exactly they said didn't really matter in the end as they all seemed the same, but it could've been a little bit of everything honestly, such as how I should get off deviantart since I didn't post any art, giant floods of spam on my personal page, with or without insults aimed my way, people creating fake accounts using variants similar to my name pretending to be me towards others, people stealing or using gifts or fanart to draw dicks and shit on just to reupload it to DA. Note harassment, a lot of low blow, childish behavior.

The thing I try to think about however is that even if this happened on Deviantart and their site, this is necessarily not a direct result from DA and it's community, rather people that also happened to be on DA as well, both a "safer" and easier platform to do their bad things on if they already got in trouble on another.

malibu

I can't really compare the communities, since the DA community doesn't interact with me at all. I'm lucky if my work gets 20 views, no one really knows I exist there. I get a lot more interaction with the community on FA. If I comment on an artist work, I'm more likely to get a reply. My art gets more views since it's not competing with a larger user base, and the people I've interacted with have been nice 90% of the time.

Felix Bernard

Chemist, Conservative, Mark Levin fan
Nothing can be friendlier than the fandom (for the most part)