• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Which country do you think is the most romantic?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
It's possible this thread may already exist, but I think it would count as a necro.
So here is a fresh one!

I am personally infatuated with the romance of America. The idea of a big country, big dreams and a big open west is very beguiling. Not to mention the notion that it's a land where grizzly bears still roam in pine-needle forests.
The idea of cowboys wearing spurs and chaps is also quite dreamy. ;D

I also have to say, having visited Svalbard, that I found that very romantic too. The disused coal mine infrastructure, snowy fjords, reindeer and so forth. Svalbard is also a place that anybody can go to, provided they are economically self-sufficient, so there tend to be a lot of love stories of people who can't get married in their home countries because of social taboo, so they emigrate to Svalbard.

What about you guys?

D

Deleted member 111470

Switzerland. Not only do they have the beautiful Alps, but they also make incredible chocolate and are unmatched in their watchmaking. And they speak like 8 languages there, including French and Italian, which are considered to be sexy.

It's possible this thread may already exist, but I think it would count as a necro.
So here is a fresh one!

I am personally infatuated with the romance of America. The idea of a big country, big dreams and a big open west is very beguiling. Not to mention the notion that it's a land where grizzly bears still roam in pine-needle forests.
The idea of cowboys wearing spurs and chaps is also quite dreamy. ;D

I also have to say, having visited Svalbard, that I found that very romantic too. The disused coal mine infrastructure, snowy fjords, reindeer and so forth. Svalbard is also a place that anybody can go to, provided they are economically self-sufficient, so there tend to be a lot of love stories of people who can't get married in their home countries because of social taboo, so they emigrate to Svalbard.

What about you guys?
Alaska, but only if you are comfortable with firearms.

My local area has a lot of fighting spirit when it comes to injustice.

That American dream ish is really hollow though, when you look at our actual economy and infrastructure for the average bloke. Some parts of our country are third world countries in their own right.

Even that misery has its own gritty charm though.

Guifrog

Blue Frog | Avatar by Lenago
I'm going with Argentina for their tango, their rather turbulent history, films, the melancholic contrast between tall contemporary buildings with medianeras (the side part with no windows) and old, artsy buildings in their cities.

Also, spring time in Buenos Aires:

3a91b4781caff071530e517b98077d4e.jpg

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Hmm never really thought about it before and personally I think it is hard for me to choose a country that I think romantic but I think closest in my opinion is Toronto Canada. *waits to be pelted with tomatoes by the Canadian users* (From what I recall hearing from Canadians view Toronto as Americans view people from New York City well minus the sometimes grating New York/New Jersey accent.)

A

Aznig

F71377BC-5641-40D9-B436-036E8E849026.jpeg
Alaska! As a young kid, my dream was to run away, get a bunch of sled dogs, and live off the land in the remote Alaskan wilderness. None of that ever happened, lol! However, I’m still fond of the aesthetic and beauty of Alaska. Also brings me back to the days when I was much more of a dreamer.

A

A Lurker at the Threshold

I was really surprised at how romantic Germany was when I visited, of course it was an EF tour so I'm not sure how accurate my assessment was. Would love to go back and check out the rest of europe, all of those old castles and ruins are just so beautiful.

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
Finland their word for sweetheart literally means "I hate you the least" <3

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
I was really surprised at how romantic Germany was when I visited, of course it was an EF tour so I'm not sure how accurate my assessment was. Would love to go back and check out the rest of europe, all of those old castles and ruins are just so beautiful.
Germany is literally a land of fairy tales. The Black Forest is possibly the trope maker for "forbidden/enchanted/mysterious woods".

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Germany is literally a land of fairy tales. The Black Forest is possibly the trope maker for "forbidden/enchanted/mysterious woods".

I deffo want to go Deutschland some time, and actually get a chance to embarrass myself with my german.

Cannabiskitty

To Kill the Child; to Set the Adult Free
Israel is basically where my actual emotional home is so that would have to be my honest answer. I do still really like the U.S. though especially the West Coast. I have always wanted to visit New York though.

MissNook

It depends on what you feel is romantic.
But I really like France for that, objectively. I'm French and I don't like Paris, even if the Eiffel Tower and some places like Notre-Dame does have a romantic vibe for me. But really what I like is the diversity of what you can find.

Be it Brittany with the Broceliande Forest, a lot of small cities with their own history, ruins and castles, strange houses who seem to have been stuck between several time periods and of course the cliffs covered in lavender and wild flowers with the sea wind.
The mountains, not really my thing, but I've been to the Jura and it was wonderful (snoooow), done also some of the Alps to ski and went to some places where you're surrounded by the mountains and it can be quite magical.
Auvergne, the volcano area. They are all old volcanos without much activities, which means it's like being around big big green hills and you feel so little. And they are some small mountains too.
Some areas have nearly nobody like the Lozère, where you're lost in the rocky land, seeing endless curvy roads and where you can feel like your alone in the whole world (especially when taking some small roads XD) and looking at the stars without any light pollution - I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that being alone in the world with your partner is romantic ^^
If you like castles they are all kind of castles, ruins, medieval, renaissance and so on. But I do feel the German castles have something more like a fairy tale. We don't have that wonderful and abundant pointy towers. But we still have a lot of wonderful castles. I've visited 3 I didn't know this year and they are all around where I live (I just didn't know they were that nice ^^)
If you like forests, we have forests, mountains, yep we have, canyon, errr, I know one, not big but really fun with loads of strange birds, plains, valleys, volcanos, cliffs, big places with nobody around.

Well I like that in my country. I can take my car and see endless pine forest then the sea, then strange castles, then valleys, then neat fields, and big cities with a lot of old buildings, then small cities, then villages and so on. You can really travel and see new landscapes in just a few miles.

But they are great places all around the world so I think it's cool if you can see the ones you want and see if that gives you that romantic vibe :)

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Eh, not to go overly political, but romance of American dream for me is stained by imperialistic nature of its history combined with it being one of the most unwelcoming developed countries when it comes to immigrants. I like the idea of "a big country, big dreams and a big open west" on a surface level, but deeper dig reveals that a lot of that was achieved by stomping out other people's dreams and invading other people's places, and it suddenly turns from modern romantic utopia into basically an evil empire.

I like the Eastern Europe in general, Finland in particular - probably not much in terms of man-built showplaces compared to rest of the Europe, but overall geography is stunningly beautiful. If you decide to be a hermit vagabond and re-unite with nature or something, you can't go wrong with Eastern Europe.
Hand-Luggage-Only-4.jpg

rg_finland-1180-1575x1050.jpg

Cannabiskitty

To Kill the Child; to Set the Adult Free
Eh, not to go overly political, but romance of American dream for me is stained by imperialistic nature of its history combined with it being one of the most unwelcoming developed countries when it comes to immigrants. I like the idea of "a big country, big dreams and a big open west" on a surface level, but deeper dig reveals that a lot of that was achieved by stomping out other people's dreams and invading other people's places, and it suddenly turns from modern romantic utopia into basically an evil empire.

I like the Eastern Europe in general, Finland in particular - probably not much in terms of man-built showplaces compared to rest of the Europe, but overall geography is stunningly beautiful. If you decide to be a hermit vagabond and re-unite with nature or something, you can't go wrong with Eastern Europe.
Hand-Luggage-Only-4.jpg

rg_finland-1180-1575x1050.jpg

Yeah well this evil empire at least gave us LCD Soundystem. That's something right?

Yeah... Maybe not.

New York I love you... But you're bringing me down ~

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Yeah well this evil empire at least gave us LCD Soundystem. That's something right?

Yeah... Maybe not.

New York I love you... But you're bringing me down ~
In true American tradition, LCD Soundsystem stole lion share of the ideas from foreign musicians ( David Bowie, New Order, Kraftwerk and German krautrock ) :V

Cool band though, Sound of Silver is an indietronica masterpiece