• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Which fandom has the best fanbase?

CannonFodder

Resistance is futile! If 0 ohm
A lot of fandoms have bad images whenever people think of them. A example is whenever someone thinks of warcraft players people automatically think of a fat 30-something year old with bad body odor, or obviously furries... do I even need to say it. Hell not even doctor who is immune from fan bullshit.

However this has been bugging me for a bit, in actuality is there any fandom with a decent fanbase? or a fanbase that is close to how they present themselves. Is hoping for a nice non-creepy productive fanbase whose members are productive and/or creative too much to ask for?

Tl:dr; which fandom is the best in your opinion?

Yago

Ambered Amaranth
Um. Mine.

I'm so incredibly awesome, attractive, and intelligent not to mention modest, how could my fans be anything else but? :V

In all honesty, I too have yet to see a good fanbase.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
The one with the least amount of crazy members.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
Anything that can be called a "fandom" is going to have some really, really batshit crazy people in it.

In a batshit-measuring contest between two fandoms, everyone loses.

Littlerock

numb with cold
Model train collectors. Even been to a model train convention? They're chock full pleasant, older men, setting up and running their prized toys that they've spent countless hours working on perfecting. Most that attend are nothing less than courteous, and often let others run their trains. Hell, they even buy each other drinks after the con is over for the day.

Tybis

Me beautiful barnet!
Model train collectors. Even been to a model train convention? They're chock full pleasant, older men, setting up and running their prized toys that they've spent countless hours working on perfecting. Most that attend are nothing less than courteous, and often let others run their trains. Hell, they even buy each other drinks after the con is over for the day.
This x 1000

I forgot about those guys.
My dad is one of them.
I can't imagine a single instance of genuine crazy with them.

Onnes

Calling model train collectors a fandom seems to be stretching that word a bit. I usually think of fandom as restricted to people who are fans of some fictional theme or setting.

CannonFodder

Calling model train collectors a fandom seems to be stretching that word a bit. I usually think of fandom as restricted to people who are fans of some fictional theme or setting.
I gotta agree. Calling model train collectors a fandom is a moderately long stretch.

Littlerock

numb with cold
This x 1000

I forgot about those guys.
My dad is one of them.
I can't imagine a single instance of genuine crazy with them.

My Papap and Dad both have considerable collections. They can bullshit for hours on end about a rare Big Boy they saw at the last convention they visited.

I gotta agree. Calling model train collectors a fandom is a moderately long stretch.

The entire idea of model train collecting/building/running is "let's build a tiny, hyper-detailed world, and play with it, animate it and watch it move". They are very much a fandom, if we're using the term as it describes the furry fandom, where members of the fandom are considered 'dedicated hobbyists that gather together into a social community'. They even sit around on forums and chat about their little worlds that they've built in their basements, sharing tips on which color Testor's paint looks best on the nano-conducter's hat, and asking why many prefer lichens to plastic models where shrubbery is concerned. In a group, they are very much a fandom, and an incredibly pleasant one at that.

CannonFodder

My Papap and Dad both have considerable collections. They can bullshit for hours on end about a rare Big Boy they saw at the last convention they visited.

The entire idea of model train collecting/building/running is "let's build a tiny, hyper-detailed world, and play with it, animate it and watch it move". They are very much a fandom, if we're using the term as it describes the furry fandom, where members of the fandom are considered 'dedicated hobbyists that gather together into a social community'. They even sit around on forums and chat about their little worlds that they've built in their basements, sharing tips on which color Testor's paint looks best on the nano-conducter's hat, and asking why many prefer lichens to plastic models where shrubbery is concerned. In a group, they are very much a fandom, and an incredibly pleasant one at that.
Point taken.

Onnes

But have you ever seen the word fandom used, in the context intended by this thread, outside of fantasy, science fiction, and similar media themes? The word isn't applied to hobbyists in general, but only those sections built around fantasies and the media. I highly doubt you'll find very many people actually refer to model train enthusiasts as a fandom, it's just not the kind of area where the term is used. As a term it also becomes quite pointless if it can just be applied to any community with a shared interest.

Last edited:

Viridis

People that Geocache seem to have a positive outlook. Their stereotype is that they are somewhat technologically competent, like the outdoors, and are typically rather nice people.

Model railroaders are also rather interesting. However, I once tried to get into it for about a month when I was 12 and ended up aging about 5 years. This could be the explanation for all the old people at those conventions...

However, both of the "fandoms" listed above are really more of hobbies, so I'll toss them out.

In my opinion, the furry fandom, despite all of the negative stereotypes, will probably live for the longest. The thing is, most other fandoms are devoted to a specific style or pop-culture ideal that will eventually become dated, whereas the furry fandom is a broad spectrum of ideas that mainly reside behind anthropomorphic animals/objects, which is something found even in ancient times spanning to today.

Even though the fandom might not be known in the future as "The Furry Fandom," it will still live on as an idea, whether it is in advertisement or in kids shows.

Zenia

Is hoping for a nice non-creepy productive fanbase whose members are productive and/or creative too much to ask for?
Tl:dr; which fandom is the best in your opinion?
Join the legion of the Nerdfighters, Cannon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers
In which a pair of brothers make vlogs for each other and raise money for charities and are really awesome and so is the fan base. :) DFTBA!

Bipolar Bear

Phallus Fellater
Well, I'm not exactly sure. (=/

Every single fandom has its high's and low's, good moments and bad ones etc. It's impossible to try and gauge which Fandom has the best fanbase, because every other fandom is unique in their own right and belief, e.g Therians And Furries.

But if I had to say, I'd say Furries. Well, you guys at least. The Drama-Furries can blow a Horse for all I care (Sorry for the Vulgar behaviour. i'm having a very weird day). l=S

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
I'm guestimating and making a joke out of this:
The fans of thatgamecompany's games like flow and Flower. Because they're totally chill all the time.

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
if i had to guess? star wars

because while it pleased the nerds, the jocks tend to enjoy the large amount of action in it
unlike in star trek

CannonFodder

if i had to guess? star wars
...star wars? *snort*
Trekkies vs star wars is one of the oldest nerd fights in existence.

CannonFodder

any true scifi fan likes both
I gotta agree there.

Also with the original star trek series vs next generation. I like both cause with Kirk back in the day the cheesy special effects and such that was the extent of it. Both series pushed special effects for their time and such.

Last edited:

Ikrit

I'm fired up!
you know, LARPing sounds like the nerdiest thing ever...but it's one hell of a work out