• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Which furry setting appeals to you more?

Which furry settings suits you?

• Modern

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Futuristic/Sci-fi

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • Medieval/Fantasy

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Victorian/Steampunk

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 17th century

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Western

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Oriental/Feudal Japan

• Ancient

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • 1920s/30s/40s

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

VGmaster9

I like a variety of settings, though not too far back in time.

The 1920s-1930s era of the great depression is a favorite of mine, as I like to write stories/RPs about runaways and drifters, pick-pockets and con-men, trying to get by in hard times. And I like to imagine the limits of technology at the time; what things would cost, many small details.

The present is also a favorite, or a time just slightly before the present, as in the 1980s-1990s, just prior to the era of widespread cell-phones, internet and such...and the 'dark ages' of the Reagan era, and the amazing punk/HC scene that came about at the time, almost as if in reaction.

Sometimes, I'll jump ahead to the future, if it's going to involve transformation, latex, stuff like that; hard to picture some of these things in the middle ages!

So those are my top 3.

The 1920s-1930s era can also have a touch of sci-fi, which is called "dieselpunk". Captain America: The First Avenger and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow are good examples. To me, there's three types of modern settings, regular modern (present day), semi-futuristic modern (around a decade or so in the future), and retro modern (what you just mentiond).

I wouldn't mind a supernatural option, but as of those options above I prefer Fantasy and modern. Because reasons.

Any setting can have supernatural elements really. I'd also have post-apocalyptic and prehistoric as options if I could be able to have a few more of them. For the ancient option, it can range from the bronze age to classical antiquity. I find the ancient Egyptian setting quite appealing, especially for furry characters.

Dankef

Has no idea what life is
Any setting can have supernatural elements really. I'd also have post-apocalyptic and prehistoric as options if I could be able to have a few more of them. For the ancient option, it can range from the bronze age to classical antiquity. I find the ancient Egyptian setting quite appealing, especially for furry characters.

As someone who studied a bit of Egyptian culture, I agree.

The post apocalyptic setting should be an option too, even tough I've never had the chance to paritcipate in anything related to it. Oh well.

VGmaster9

As someone who studied a bit of Egyptian culture, I agree.

The post apocalyptic setting should be an option too, even tough I've never had the chance to paritcipate in anything related to it. Oh well.

If I were to make a furry comic on an ancient setting, it would certainly be Egypt. Each species would have its own kingdom representing a certain god. There could also be nearby civilizations representing existed ones like the Assyrians and Babylonians.

ALilShark

I am a huge nerd for fantasy settings. I especially like early history settings and specifically Medieval settings shortly after the fall of Rome.

ryuukei8569

The Adorable Kurokuri
A sci fi setting is what I am already working on. I find that sci fi settings, particularly far future settings, give more to work with. and you don't have to mess around with earth if you don't want to. Realistically any one planet isn't going to be able to support a wide variety of sentient species, nor is it likely for that to occur anyway, sci fi settings allow a bit more flexibility in that regard.

VGmaster9

A sci fi setting is what I am already working on. I find that sci fi settings, particularly far future settings, give more to work with. and you don't have to mess around with earth if you don't want to. Realistically any one planet isn't going to be able to support a wide variety of sentient species, nor is it likely for that to occur anyway, sci fi settings allow a bit more flexibility in that regard.

If you really want to, you can make your setting span multiple galaxies that can be travelled via wormhole.

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
I love them all! I need to start drawing them by theme. I have done some, but I want to do more.

@Dazreiello you're not the only one, I adore 17th century as well as Victorian.

Dazreiello

Incomprehensible horror. DRAGON
@SodaBubbles Sweet! Don't know why that get's me so energetic to know but I'm most grateful to not be alone on that. It might also just be my love for HP Lovecraft and how Arkhem Horror takes place in the 1700's. Everything is so classy.

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
Yessssssss me too. I love Lovecraft! I have a Necronomicon tarot deck that I'm madly in love with. And yes- the classiness is part of why I love that whole overarching era (I do blame a lot of my love of the Victorian era specifically on a certain Sherlock Holmes, having grown up on Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett's portrayals) from like, 1600 through 1899 so much. Just, class and the clothing, and horse drawn carriages and post renaissance stuff and and and augh. My gf and I spent hours talking Tudors recently, and a lot of Rococco stuff (sp?) I adore Rococco so much god. That and Regency I think are my two most favorites.

That said- I also have a huge soft spot for classical music like Paganini and Vivaldi, among others.

Victor-933

Professional Retard
I've always preferred sci-fi. I guess a more specific answer might be space western. Think Firefly, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Borderlands, Rebel Galaxy... these are all space westerns.

I also enjoy military science fiction and have definitely given my own universe a strong focus on the military.

Ieono

Uberaffe
I'd definitely enjoy a good mix of sci-fi, fantasy, and ancient. I love all those time periods, but those three appeal to me the most. That is why I worked all three of them into my fursona's story, haha. I'll always stick to Victorian and 17th century for the clothing though, at least.

VGmaster9

So what do you guys think would be a better option, making two separate worlds one based on ancient times and one on medieval times, or having both in one whole world?

TheDukeofRawsome

Airship Gunner
I think smashing them up is more fun and gives you more creative options for your own universe's lore. personally I'm big into the steam/dieselpunk genre but you can combine any number influences to create it just how you want. But hey that's my two bits.

Moondoggy

Moon Moon
I'd definitely enjoy a good mix of sci-fi, fantasy, and ancient. I love all those time periods, but those three appeal to me the most. That is why I worked all three of them into my fursona's story, haha. I'll always stick to Victorian and 17th century for the clothing though, at least.
This!

VGmaster9

I think smashing them up is more fun and gives you more creative options for your own universe's lore. personally I'm big into the steam/dieselpunk genre but you can combine any number influences to create it just how you want. But hey that's my two bits.

That's a rather good way to put it, but I'm rather picky when it comes to time periods. Also, steampunk and dieselpunk, while similar, aren't necessarily in the same time period. Still though, one good example of high fantasy being mashed with dieselpunk would be Eberron.

Last edited:

Notkastar

Notka- What?
Modern day with a splash of Sci-Fi would be my pick,
I think cities set during that type of times like really bring out the colors on most Furries. =)
Plus, I personally find those kinds of time periods extremely awesome! n_n
LuTzL.jpg

FFXIIIscreen3.jpg
2536959-6510academia_05_rgb.jpg
6507academia_02_rgb.jpg

Like I said,
Really awesome ♪(๑ᴖ◡ᴖ๑)♪
Going with Victorian, that's where I've chosen to place my fursona.

I could see that,
Areas set during that time do have that certain classy feel to it. (๑•͈ᴗ•͈)

ggx-ino.gif

Last edited:

Inzoreno

The Gentleman Owl
Modern day with a splash of Sci-Fi would be my pick,
I think cities set during that type of times like really bring out the colors on most Furries. =)
Plus, I personally find those kinds of time periods extremely awesome! n_n
Like I said,
Really awesome ♪(๑ᴖ◡ᴖ๑)♪

I could see that,
Areas set during that time do have this certain classy feel to it. (๑•͈ᴗ•͈)

It's definitely the fashion for me, I love Reno in a very dapper suit.