• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Which version of Links Awakening should I play

So which version should I play?

• Links Awakening on the Game Boy

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Links Awakening Deluxe on the Game Boy Color

• Links Awakening on the Switch

• Total voters

Draakc from State Farm

Shitpost God
Banned
As some of you may know I am marathoning every official zelda media ever made in release order besides the game and watch game, game watch game, and cdi games, I'll play those as soon as I'm ACTUALLY able to emulate those, as of now I couldn't figure it out (if you want to follow my progress just follow me on lpw or view my details page)
I'm almost finished with alttp
So I need to know the which version you guys would like to see
I would normally just automatically choose the most recent version but I don't have it yet
Obviously that means that if you choose the switch version you'll have to wait till I to have it
That is if I don't get extremely impatient and just end up playing the second highest voted instead
I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think the original has the best looking graphics
Also it is hard to find roms for ANY version besides deluxe

25539-564043-LinksAwakeningsGraphicalComparisonjpg-noscale.jpg

Last edited:

Eikthyrtosk

She/He/They-- Whatever makes you comfortable!
Yes.

I mean, if you're almost done with A link to the past, you could go to it's sequel a Link between worlds.
Links awakening in both forms is amazing and great, and each will provide with a unique experience. Plus, since you're wrapping up ALttP, the old version of Link's awakening won't be odd in controls for you. (or maybe it will, I don't know which versions you've finished playing. . . ZeldaII can go burn)

Draakc from State Farm

Shitpost God
Banned
I mean, if you're almost done with A link to the past, you could go to it's sequel a Link between worlds.
I'm playing in release order

Plus albw isn't the only sequel
There was 2 more you know
And just so you know
I've already beat albw

Judge Spear

Put it this way instead, if you buy one version, don't buy the other. Link's Awakening S is really nothing more than a graphical overhaul that runs worse than the original.
It doesn't really make the original obsolete and improves on surprisingly very little. The additions it has beyond graphics are...slim. And forgettable. The little "Zelda Maker" Dampe thing is kind of lame and Hero mode isn't exactly anything special considering how much damage you took in the Gameboy version anyway.
But if you absolutely must play S, you won't be wasting your money at least.

Draakc from State Farm

Shitpost God
Banned
I have played both the switch version and the GBC version(via rom). While I haven't beaten either, I'm at the last dungeon on the switch version, while I am nowhere near there on the GBC one. For me, the graphical upgrade made a world of difference, especially with jumping.

Draakc from State Farm

Shitpost God
Banned
I have played both the switch version and the GBC version(via rom). While I haven't beaten either, I'm at the last dungeon on the switch version, while I am nowhere near there on the GBC one. For me, the graphical upgrade made a world of difference, especially with jumping.
you have a rom of the switch version

Draakc from State Farm

Shitpost God
Banned

Judge Spear

even though it's 50 more bucks than the original?
I mean, it's a massive overhaul. Wasn't done overnight. As far as content is concerned and what's actually changed when you get down to brass tacks, it's pretty much just the same adventure is what I'm getting at. I'm saying, if you play the original as a newcomer, you don't need to rush out and get the remake. But if you play the remake, you definitely don't need the original.

This isn't like a Final Fantasy 7 R or Crash Team Racing situation.