• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Who are your favorite directors?

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
In no particular order, and off the top of my head, some of my favorite directors include The Coens, Alfred Hitchcock, Buster Keaton, Fritz Lang, Akira Kurosawa, Hayao Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon, Terry Gilliam, FW Murnau, David Cronenberg, John Woo, Ed Wood, Stanley Kubrick, David Lynch, Brad Bird, Henry Selick, Nick Park, and Andrew Stanton.

Honorable mention: Steven Spielberg, Genndy Tartakovsky, Roman Polanski, and Federico Fellini.

If I had to pick an absolute favorite right now, I'd probably go with the Coen Brothers. Every film they do is different, and every film, deeply compelling and profoundly entertaining.

Even when Terry Gilliam's movies are uneven or awkward, they never fail to be interesting.

Fellini movies tend to go on and on and on, but he was a master of cinematography and symbolism, truly.

I used to love stuff by the Zucker Brothers, but their more recent efforts have been absolutely fucking terrible.

With a few notable exceptions, I tend to dislike the films of Darren Aronofsky, Wes Anderson, and Richard Linklater, especially given that these films tend to act as major hipster-bait.

I love to make fun of Michael Bay, of course, but I admit he's at least a guilty pleasure.

Last edited:

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
Director: My favorite of their movies

• Stanley Kubrick: 2001: A Space Oddesey, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange
  • David Lynch: Mullholland Drive, Eraserhead
  • Satoshi Kon: Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika

I know I'm forgetting some...

ElectricBlue1989

Living a Boy's Adventure Tale
While I could care less for many famous directors, there are some that have stood out. Nothing niche, really. If it wasn't for DVD extras and behind-the-scenes/how-it's-made shows, I don't think I would have bothered making this list.

Robert Zemeckis: Because Back To The Future. He co-wrote it. Any other director would have driven this idea into the ground. Also, his movie Flight deserves a bit of praise.

Genndy Tartakovsky: Because it made me overlook the weird animation style and find some of the best cartoons Cartoon Network has ever aired. And in some cases, canceled.

Steven Spielberg: Because Jurassic Park. The first one still feels fresh today. And because he convinced Zemeckis to make Back to the Future, which he produced.

George Lucas (pre-The Phantom Menace days): The obstacles he had to overcome to make the first original Star Wars is worthy of respect. Not making it into a B-movie space flick is also worthy of admiration. :p