• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Who did today's monthly banner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Is it bad i dunno who secret is? Also I think the banner sucks. The colors look chalky and... dirty? I dunno how to describe it but there seems to be a lot of noise in the color.

Chalky often happens when people just go down the HSV scale and just use values and don't account for saturation. In other words they ignore the S. in HSV *Hue*Value*Saturation. They think darker, just add black, lighter add white. Boring and dull image ensues.

Another common error is that people put details in their darks or shadows because they don't plan out. If you want the picture to focus on one kind of thing or the other, you leave less detail.

Meaning if you want people to focus on the lit parts, you don't try to do details in the dark. If you want people to focus on dark areas, the opposite happens, you leave less details in the lights.

That's probably why it looks so busy or at least how you're picking it up is busy.

As far as who the user is, dunno, and dun care?

But anyways, it was more of a critique why people will often use the words "Chalky" when describing a picture.

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
Chalky often happens when people just go down the HSV scale and just use values and don't account for saturation. In other words they ignore the S. in HSV *Hue*Value*Saturation. They think darker, just add black, lighter add white. Boring and dull image ensues.

Another common error is that people put details in their darks or shadows because they don't plan out. If you want the picture to focus on one kind of thing or the other, you leave less detail.

Meaning if you want people to focus on the lit parts, you don't try to do details in the dark. If you want people to focus on dark areas, the opposite happens, you leave less details in the lights.

That's probably why it looks so busy or at least how you're picking it up is busy.

As far as who the user is, dunno, and dun care?

But anyways, it was more of a critique why people will often use the words "Chalky" when describing a picture.

I am horrible at color critique. But what you said has to be it. It seems devoid of that crisp pop that the last banner had.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
I am horrible at color critique. But what you said has to be it. It seems devoid of that crisp pop that the last banner had.
Aren't you color blind to one degree or another?

Canid_Paladin

Last edited:

Volkodav

Dad****er
SECRET--I mean.. Ifus I guess?

Secret.Furaffinity.Net is the new site name

Ifus's reasoning for cramming that eyesore of a character in front was that "a while back he got promised by two random artists that have nothing to do with the 2011 Dec banners to be included in art that has nothing to do with the 2011 Dec banners so they did it today"

& agreeing w/ Arshes and DD. the banner looks very busy for some reason. It could be the shadows, it could be the detail in the BG, it could be the snowflakes, idk, but it's very complicated and busy. almost exhausting

both characters look like hundreds of other fox/wolf things. I see nothing at all special about them so they just blend for me
It's a tiger-fox with lotus flowers on its back IRRC

People find his character irritating to look at because his character is drawn so often it's gotten annoying. [in b4 "u jelly" which isn't true at all]

Last edited:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
As much as I like to share in the revelry with the banner (-gigglesnort-), we are a bit late for banner drama...Our tradition dictates that it was supposed to be on Thanksgiving.

Other than that, the banner doesn't scream X-mas...just January weather... :v

dinosaurdammit

White Devil
SECRET--I mean.. Ifus I guess?

Secret.Furaffinity.Net is the new site name

Ifus's reasoning for cramming that eyesore of a character in front was that "a while back he got promised by two random artists that have nothing to do with the 2011 Dec banners to be included in art that has nothing to do with the 2011 Dec banners so they did it today"

& agreeing w/ Arshes and DD. the banner looks very busy for some reason. It could be the shadows, it could be the detail in the BG, it could be the snowflakes, idk, but it's very complicated and busy. almost exhausting

It's a tiger-fox with lotus flowers on its back IRRC

People find his character irritating to look at because his character is drawn so often it's gotten annoying. [in b4 "u jelly" which isn't true at all]

They just look like poorly drawn wings

Xegras

Peerat

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I can understand why people are upset about the December banner since it does seem to go against the spirit of having the rules in the first place. I think there are people overreacting to the banner as well.

Personally I would not have had the banner (in question) rotating during the contest month just so that people feel they were being treated fairly.

Plus it seems I have to "know" and understand furries and their popularity and characters because otherwise I might be playing favorites.

I really like looking at good art (least for my personal tastes) interesting people to maybe converse with when I have time and I don't honestly care about your rank in the community? Anymore than I care that you're popular due to a certain amount of hits on youtube, got 10,000+ facebook friends etc..? Just seems the argument of popularity is thrown around and is really a double edged sword because moderating at times can be a headache when that's the first excuse people jump to as the "damn admins" response.

But this is just my personal opinion, and the way the community reacts and overreacts, I wouldn't want to be in anyone's shoes for leadership of this site.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
I just dont see why Neer wouldn't put it to a community vote.
I mean he must get tons of submissions for the banner every month.

The set up is pretty simple:

Set up parameters [i.e "artists/art whores with over x many watches cannot be in this running."]
Pick a hand full randomly.
Supplement the "popufurs" with lesser known ones.
Don't take fucking bribes.
Let the community vote on the handful.
Post up the banners the community voted on.

Rinse and repeat.

The argument "HOMAIGAWD ITS HIS SITE HE CAN DO WAT HE WNTS W/ IT" would hold if he didn't create the site for a community.
If thats the argument he wants to hide behind, fuck it. Ban everybody save for your dick-stoking crew and lose the site at the end of the month.
Stop making arbitrary decisions that twist peoples' tits.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
I don't like the idea of "can't be so many watches"

Yes, maybe popular furries don't need more exposure, but damn if I want to also look at ugly art every month either, regardless of watch count.

And FA really needs to just really have a regular logo/identity :p

I think that also putting it to community vote is also a mess too. Maybe a panel of reasonable people that would put it up to vote, but every time there is a voting free for all it's a mess.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
I don't like the idea of "can't be so many watches"

Yes, maybe popular furries don't need more exposure, but damn if I want to also look at ugly art every month either, regardless of watch count.

And FA really needs to just really have a regular logo/identity :p

I think that also putting it to community vote is also a mess too. Maybe a panel of reasonable people that would put it up to vote, but every time there is a voting free for all it's a mess.

This was a contest to win exposure.
Artists with 5000+ watches, DO NOT NEED EXPOSURE.
I've said it before, I love Ifus. She's so talent and an incredible sweetheart and we've been friends for a while, but she did not need the exposure.
She has 8,000+ watches on her own.
SecreT has 6,000+
THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN CONSIDERED IN THIS CONTEST.

Not every artist without a thousand watches creates ugly art. In fact most artists I view have under 1,000 watches and are extremely skilled at their craft.
And how do you make a mess of voting?
Yes there is always going to be the unsatisfied minority, but cest la vie. That is one of the only downsides about the majority rule voting scheme.
Other than that
it is fair, efficient and quick.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
<...>

Just checking something.

Do you honestly believe FA does?

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
Just checking something.

Do you honestly believe FA does?
I believe money is a very powerful persuader and in situations like this, which involve people who are known for getting otherwise unattainable things by throwing wads of cash around, yes.

K

Kaamos

Who fucking cares? So some furfag gets his stupid OC up there, big fucking deal. It'll just be changed to something equally stupid next month.

Aidy

they call me yolo swaggins
Who fucking cares? So some furfag gets his stupid OC up there, big fucking deal. It'll just be changed to something equally stupid next month.

i think people are pissed off because they chose a banner that was made before the rules put up

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon

Nobody cares that he was drawn. They care that the rules were bent for him again.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon
i think people are pissed off because they chose a banner that was made before the rules put up
Gonna take an argument that some other dude made about this:

If I held a contest telling people "The first to draw me will be awarded a large sum of money, but don't draw me wearing any red clothing!", that doesn't mean I can ok a picture of me wearing red done BEFORE the rules of the contest were posted up, and award them the money regardless.

Fucking double posts. I still do it.

Delta

Fun times in FAFylon

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
This was a contest to win exposure.

THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE EVEN BEEN CONSIDERED IN THIS CONTEST.

Their approval happened before the contest. If you actually read my previous post, I said I wouldn't have done this because it does come off as unfair for people who didn't know.

Not every artist without a thousand watches creates ugly art. In fact most artists I view have under 1,000 watches and are extremely skilled at their craft.
And how do you make a mess of voting?
Yes there is always going to be the unsatisfied minority, but cest la vie. That is one of the only downsides about the majority rule voting scheme.
Other than that
it is fair, efficient and quick.

Apparently point missed.

I said the watches do not matter either. I said I want to see GOOD art up as the banner and watches are not a factor (nor should they be). Before you become so hell bent on being so defensive you might want to take a step back and understand what I'm saying.

Every time there has been votes for site matters, it's been a mess. And I've seen it happen with other sites too. Anywhere from accusations of voter fraud, people inciting others to inflate votes on their behalf regardless of quality etc... Least having a small panel would make it manageable.

I'm disregarding the contest part in itself and saying FA as a total needs an identity which it lacks severely, and if they're still going to have banner rotations, they should be of some quality - not some joke, not some friendship thing, and pity party thing either.

Volkodav

Dad****er
a couple years ago someone told me that they would do me a commission or something
so they did and I said I wanted it to be the banner

xnzviu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.