• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Who do we work as?

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
What job do you have? Is it a contract or something? As far as the consensus is for working regular jobs its always the same BS. Well I have had some good boss's.

as i stated before... i put the stickers on apples... *reaches under table* you ask too many questions *makes distinct metallic clicking sound*

Wild-Fantasy-Run

Insert Clever Answer Here
I would like to buy some "apples" my friend I "Hear" they are very delicious.......whispers: "Agent smith I need back up." So Price! LoLo_O

MetroFox2

Resident Stone Age Fox
Currently; unemployed college student. I want to make a career out of writing and go on to uni, but as a backup, I'm looking for apprenticeships/jobs on the railway.

Fiverooboo

I work in the wonderful, wonderful world of healthcare.

I'm a lab-rat, a pee-slinger, a vampire-- But, in a less jovial manner of phrasing, I do phlebotomy (rarely) and process out specimens our hospital can't afford/actually do.

It's not my favourite thing, but hey! Paycheck!

J

Junkerfox

Unemployed...again. I never held a job for more than a month so its pretty normal

A

Alstren

I'm a Pharmaceutical Technician at a local hospital. I create and update patient medical files, I package and send out medication to the floors that need them, I keep the emergency carts stocked, I prepare sterile injectable medications and IV bags. And in a few years Ill be allowed to handle and prepare cytotoxic chemotherapy medications.

Iovic

Uni student doing Games Programming, which is what I mostly do in my spare time too.

It'sBlitz

Pilot in training
Senior in High school, working at the planetarium to make money for collage, as well as working on my private pilots licence, and plan to work on my Commercial Pilots Licence during collage.

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
Uni student doing Games Programming, which is what I mostly do in my spare time too.
i would change that to minimum computer science most ricky fuckin tick my friend cause game degrees don't mean anything to game developers

Iovic

i would change that to minimum computer science most ricky fuckin tick my friend cause game degrees don't mean anything to game developers
Actually, my Uni works with quite a few games companies, such as Team17. We have a mandatory placement year, where most students work for a games company for a year. The others either do generic software dev or start their own companies. I know a few people who did the latter. This isn't a game design course.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
Currently not in college (I was, but I dropped out early because I couldn't decide what I actually wanted to do since I was burnt out and not in good spirits). Now I'm managing shipments and packing stuff as a job, mainly irrigation components and systems.

I never thought I would know so much about automated irrigation systems until now. Life is weird.

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
Actually, my Uni works with quite a few games companies, such as Team17. We have a mandatory placement year, where most students work for a games company for a year. The others either do generic software dev or start their own companies. I know a few people who did the latter. This isn't a game design course.

yeah but you're still closing off a lot of doors you will get bored of game development quickly trust me i was a modder in high school one of the major projects was Black Mesa Source but i left for reasons i wont get into mostly to do with arguments over using the HD weapons or the SD weapons its good if you're passionate about it but if you get onto a project that has deadlines then it becomes very shit very quickly also a lot of my roles became redundant with advancement in modelling bump mapping entire maps rather than hand crafting them and Steam Early access

any way as i said game degrees usually mean nothing go on any of the major companies they all want software engineering, computer sciences, 5+ years professional experience with C+ etc etc i have a friend who only just started working with EA Melbourne (fire monkey) and the way he got the job was that he offered to work for them for 6 months for nothing then after that he was deeply embedded into development of a game and just said "well you need me more than i need you cause if i leave i'm taking all my software with me sooooooooooo"

That's unfortunately what the industry is like you may be getting a placement but you're also competing with all your class mates too not to mention the pay sometimes you don't even get a salary you just get a lump sum based on how much the game makes a week after launch

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
Resident Drum and Bass DJ at :Respect: Los Angeles.
Buys, sells, trades vinyl (records)
Buys, sells, trades knives (Spyderco)
Pro Sound and Stage Lighting Technician

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I work in a large university library, which is an odd job for a more extroverted sort. Pay is meh, benefits are good.

Other than that, I work to stay sane, and find reasons to go on living many days; maybe the work I do most is fighting depression, and trying to find the will to go on? That sounds morose, I guess.

se05239

"Technical Administrator" at a company trying to become the Nr 1 in the image department in all Microsoft office products.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
IT guy who wears many hats. Tech support, admin of various systems, and occasionally a designer of software and hardware.

Liam The Red

"Dad" Fox
Ok, I'll play along.

I am the Senior IT Engineer for Systems and Network Architecture for a State College. I am also the acting Director of Cyber-security (until we hire someone for that position).

Generally an all-around geek type person. LOL

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
yeah but you're still closing off a lot of doors you will get bored of game development quickly trust me i was a modder in high school one of the major projects was Black Mesa Source but i left for reasons i wont get into mostly to do with arguments over using the HD weapons or the SD weapons its good if you're passionate about it but if you get onto a project that has deadlines then it becomes very shit very quickly also a lot of my roles became redundant with advancement in modelling bump mapping entire maps rather than hand crafting them and Steam Early access

any way as i said game degrees usually mean nothing go on any of the major companies they all want software engineering, computer sciences, 5+ years professional experience with C+ etc etc i have a friend who only just started working with EA Melbourne (fire monkey) and the way he got the job was that he offered to work for them for 6 months for nothing then after that he was deeply embedded into development of a game and just said "well you need me more than i need you cause if i leave i'm taking all my software with me sooooooooooo"

That's unfortunately what the industry is like you may be getting a placement but you're also competing with all your class mates too not to mention the pay sometimes you don't even get a salary you just get a lump sum based on how much the game makes a week after launch
Uhm, as an IT guy, I'll disagree. Game developers are in demand around software engineering circles and programming circles, and both homemade games and studio projects are a very solid addition to your portfolio when it comes to showing skills off. Also, you can't really replace "game degrees" with "programming/IT degrees", because game development also includes things like level design or various genre fundamentals - you won't learn stuff like this in science class. As for the job itself, sure, it's pretty damn hard, but I don't think anybody would choose the profession like that without knowing in advance what to expect from it - it's like training to be a paratrooper without anticipating the chance to be injured/killed in action if crap goes the wrong way.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
My main warning with game degrees and game development is that the pay and employment conditions are shit compared to other development positions. From what I understand, the responsibilities are highly silo'd in the large shops too. If you aren't an indie dev, you're likely to be a seasonal contract worker who either designs levels or creates assets or implements gameplay features. If you want to get out and go into a more traditional development environment with a game degree, you then have to compete with professionals who had a more relevant education and career.

It's not a recipe for disaster by any means, but I personally think it's a lot of risk for a lackluster reward.

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
If you want to get out and go into a more traditional development environment with a game degree, you then have to compete with professionals who had a more relevant education and career.
It depends, really - while you'll definitely have a hard time landing in Google or Microsoft, you still get good chances to find a rewarding job in mid-tier company if you know your stuff. In general, with degree in game development, it's harder to kickstart your career immediately, but everything can be eventually learned, and some important technical aspects are still mutually replaceable.

Tomin

I work in a large university library, which is an odd job for a more extroverted sort. Pay is meh, benefits are good.

Other than that, I work to stay sane, and find reasons to go on living many days; maybe the work I do most is fighting depression, and trying to find the will to go on? That sounds morose, I guess.

OH shit man, that got dark real fast.
Hang in there dude...