• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Who is right in this situation?

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
While I was eating my lunch earlier, I saw the car park attendant arrive to check that their was no unauthorized cars parked on the car park. The car park is for staff and visitors only for the Council office and Citizens Advice Office. The only way to gtet out of receiving a ticket is if you have a permit displayed in your window. Then I see the gentleman below me storm outside, from the argument that I could hear he received a ticket at some point despite owning a permit. Now, when he got the ticket he didn't have his permit on display in his window but nonetheless was very upset to receive a ticket because he does have permission to park there. I don't pry into peoples private affairs but I assume he is a key holder to the citizens advice office as I have seen him go over a number of times to shut the damn intruder alarm off.

Now, the new car park attendants have been doing these rounds for a few months now, and know that my neighbours car has been authorized to park there. But gave a ticket out anyway just because the permit wasn't displayed and despite that by now they know the car is permitted.

This got me thinking, who was in the right? or are they both technically right?

The car park attendant did his job, which was to ticket any car not displaying a permit. However should he have handed the ticket to my neighbour when it is known that my neighbour has a ticket? Did the attendant take his job too far? Does my neighbour have a right to be upset?

I've lived here over two years and my neighbour has always parked on that car park with no problems until recently. Granted the council are pissed off with douchbags ignoring the private parking signs and parking there anyway. To be honest if I was a car park attendant and I knew a car had permission to be there even if it didn't have the permit in the window I'd still leave it alone.

Last edited:

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
While I do understand the man why the man would expect not to get a ticket, I'm siding with the car park attendant. He knew full well that he needed to display his permit and he still didn't do it. It was an honest mistake on his part, but even so he broke the law and should get the ticket. It's not fair to let one man slide through without the permit while others who forget receive tickets. just because you know the attendant doesn't mean you're free from getting tickets.

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
Your neighbour certainly has a right to be upset, but the attendant was just doing his job. Just because you know someone has followed rules perfectly in the past, doesn't mean they're exempt from punishment when breaking rules in the future. In this case, the rule wasn't 'make sure you have a permit somewhere in your possession' it was 'make sure your permit is displayed and clearly visible'. Obviously the neighbour failed to do that.

It's a crappy situation to be in, but not the attendant's fault at all.

ArielMT

'Net Help Desk
I'd have sided with the attendant as well. If he knew beyond doubt whose car it was and that it had a ticket, then that makes the attendant a dick, but still in the right despite that.

I was once cited for driving through a DWI checkpoint without up-to-date proof of insurance (auto insurance is required by law in New Mexico), and I handled the citation the best way anyone could. During the citation, I politely told the officer that I had insurance, just not proof, and he explained to me what I needed to do. I took the citation and proof of insurance to the courthouse basically at my convenience, and the citation was dismissed on the spot without a court appearance. Had I argued or been otherwise confrontational, things wouldn't have gone so well.

I imagine that an argument between your neighbor and the attendant regarding the nuances of having the permit and displaying the permit won't go quite so well.

Heimdal

has a sexy learning disability
Attendant was being a dick. Any time you're in a position of some authority, distancing yourself from social reality and context is a terrible way to conduct oneself.

Basically, he could be replaced by a brainless, thoughtless robot, and his job would be done better. That's not a good thing.

The job is essentially just moderating parking in a fair manner; but this person's approach is more or less just trolling parked cars. He was 'in the right' by the letter of the law, but "Pedantic douchebaggery" isn't exactly a great value to society.

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
Attendant was being a dick. Any time you're in a position of some authority, distancing yourself from social reality and context is a terrible way to conduct oneself.

Basically, he could be replaced by a brainless, thoughtless robot, and his job would be done better. That's not a good thing.

The job is essentially just moderating parking in a fair manner; but this person's approach is more or less just trolling parked cars. He was 'in the right' by the letter of the law, but "Pedantic douchebaggery" isn't exactly a great value to society.

How was him doing his job make him a douchebag? His job is to give tickets to people who don't follow the laws set for them. He wasn't abusing his authority, nor is he trolling by doing his job. The man did not follow what he was supposed to do so he gets ticketed just like anybody else would.

T

Tycho

Siding with the attendant. They can go get the tickets dismissed or whatever. They should just tell the attendant (politely) that they are permitted to park there, show the proof, and remember to put the permit in a visible area next time.

If he still does it, THEN you can rage out.

Heimdal

has a sexy learning disability
How was him doing his job make him a douchebag? His job is to give tickets to people who don't follow the laws set for them. He wasn't abusing his authority, nor is he trolling by doing his job. The man did not follow what he was supposed to do so he gets ticketed just like anybody else would.

Heimdal said:
Any time you're in a position of some authority, distancing yourself from social reality and context is a terrible way to conduct oneself.

I covered this. I also stated that his job is to moderate parking, not "give out tickets." Of course, if his employers trained him with only the specific goal to "give out tickets", then they are both garbage, and nothing more than a hindrance to society.

Look, if there's a situation where the 'letter of the law' is just taking advantage of humanity, I'm not going to defend it. The attendant knows the vehicle is permitted to park there, and gave the ticket anyways. That's what the permit's for - to let the attendant know, and since the attendant already knows in this case, the permit functions only as an technical excuse for parking troll. All the attendant has done is give the man a hindrance to deal with, while parking itself has remained completely unaffected.

Randy-Darkshade

Actually, he was trolling parked cars. My neighbours car has not displayed a permit for months and being completely ignored, why? because it is knowm that my neighbour has permission to park there so the attendants leave it. But for some reason after he forgets to leave it on display ONCE after getting the permit paper, he gets a fucking ticket? That is trolling in my book That is the attendant just being a complete cunt.

Andy Nonimose

Button Masher
The attendant was clearly in the right. If the neighbor wants to contest the ticket, he can simply take it up with the parking office. Guy's just doing his job.

Randy-Darkshade

The attendant was clearly in the right. If the neighbor wants to contest the ticket, he can simply take it up with the parking office. Guy's just doing his job.

The attendant being a dickwad doesn't make him right.My neighbour will most likely dispute the ticket and win, due to the count of he has permission and proof of to park there, so the attendant just wasted a ticket. He should be ticketing those who genuinely break the rules, not those who have permission and who they KNOW have permission.

Andy Nonimose

Button Masher
The attendant being a dickwad doesn't make him right.My neighbour will most likely dispute the ticket and win, due to the count of he has permission and proof of to park there, so the attendant just wasted a ticket. He should be ticketing those who genuinely break the rules, not those who have permission and who they KNOW have permission.

Him having an actual permit means he should be displaying it. Laziness on the part of your neighbor puts him in the wrong. I know that if I'm missing my campus permit that I'll get a ticket unless I'm in metered parking, even if my tags are on file with the campus parking department as being registered for the year.

Randy-Darkshade

Him having an actual permit means he should be displaying it. Laziness on the part of your neighbor puts him in the wrong. I know that if I'm missing my campus permit that I'll get a ticket unless I'm in metered parking, even if my tags are on file with the campus parking department as being registered for the year.

Forgetting =/= laziness. Still the attendant in my eyes was just being an asshat.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
It's probably in the lot attendant's job duties to be knowledgeable of the fact that parking permits can be revoked, and therefore to give out a ticket if the permit is not displayed no matter the history of the particular person in question.

The dude can always just appeal it to the parking office anyway.

Randy-Darkshade

It's probably in the lot attendant's job duties to be knowledgeable of the fact that parking permits can be revoked, and therefore to give out a ticket if the permit is not displayed no matter the history of the particular person in question.

The dude can always just appeal it to the parking office anyway.

Anyone ever told you, you are a smart man?

I had overlooked that about permits being revoked as easilly as they are given. I guess the car park attendant isn't to know whether it was forgotten or revoked.

Lomberdia

Selling bookmarks!
Your neighbor should just leave the permit hanging on his mirror! Or leave it on top of the dashboard, that way there even if he gets lazy or forgets, it's always up anyway. If people got out of trouble just because they were well known, you think celebrities would ever get in trouble?

Ilayas

Forgetting =/= laziness. Still the attendant in my eyes was just being an asshat.

I'm going to side with the parking attendant. I work at a facility where everyone has to have their badge to get in the gate. Even if I have seen the same person every day for about a year know them by first and last name if they come in without their badge I have to make them either go get a temp card or a new badge. I know it's them I know they are authorized to be here hell I can probably even describe their badge to them doesn't matter it's my job. If I don't do my job I loose my job. For all you know the parking attendant could have gotten in trouble for letting cars go by without having a permit displayed. What makes your neighbor in the wrong is he blew up at the parking attendant for doing his job. If he can get the ticket removed from his record then why does he need to take it out on the attendant. He should have just accepted the ticket and remembered to bring his permit the next time.

Roose Hurro

Lovable Curmudgeon
Banned
If you regularly park in a place that requires a permit, then you really need to "permanently" display your permit, so you don't have this problem. It's what I did when I required a parking permit at work.

Volkodav

Dad****er
The attendant is in the right in my opinion. He is simply doing his job, he's not a genius, he's not a psychic car attendant who knows which cars have their permit in the back seat instead.
Your neighbour should have put his permit in the window, he cannot half-ass it and throw it in the back-seat and expect to not get ticketed.
Think of this like if it were a disability permit. Car pulls up, parks, no permit in window and an old lady gets out. What is to say she's disabled? [I have a grandmother who can walk but she's 80 and needs the permit 'cause she has a bad leg and hip] The old lady should get a ticket, because nobody can tell if she's just looking for a close spot out of laziness and using up that spot when someone else could really need it for a legitimate disability. Who is to say a buddy of the car attendant doesn't fake that he "forgot to put it in the window" to park there? Then the car attendant can say "oh yeah he just forgot to put it up" :\
If you go into court and say "I know I didn't have the permit in the window, but he should know I'm allowed!" they'll just laugh at you.

Last edited:

Tiger In A Tie

Say what now?
Actually, he was trolling parked cars. My neighbours car has not displayed a permit for months and being completely ignored, why? because it is knowm that my neighbour has permission to park there so the attendants leave it. But for some reason after he forgets to leave it on display ONCE after getting the permit paper, he gets a fucking ticket? That is trolling in my book That is the attendant just being a complete cunt.

he may be a cunt, but he's a cunt doing his job. :/ It's not fair if another person gets away with not showing a permit for a month and then a man who forgets once gets a ticket, but the fact of the matter is the guy who got the ticket didn't follow the law. It wasn't an unlawful ticket. Unfair, maybe, but not unlawful.

Randy-Darkshade

he may be a cunt, but he's a cunt doing his job. :/ It's not fair if another person gets away with not showing a permit for a month and then a man who forgets once gets a ticket, but the fact of the matter is the guy who got the ticket didn't follow the law. It wasn't an unlawful ticket. Unfair, maybe, but not unlawful.

I think my neighbour may dispute it, if he does the ticket will probably be dismissed and my neighbour advised to show the permit in the car window.

Dreaming

I'm not sure who is in the right legally. But I would have said non are in the wrong, personally. Except, really the ticket should have been cancelled once the ticket officer learnt that neighbour did infact have a permit.