• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Are Canine Sonas The Most Popular?

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
They're my favorite kind of sona, too, but I'm curious. Why are like 50% of all furries foxes, wolves, coyotes, jackals, dogs, etc.? I'm sure that this has already been discussed before, but I wasn't part of that convo...

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
Human familiarity and empathy with them. They're intelligent, social, adorable/cute/impressive creatures that have been part of our own society in some way shape or form for millenia. They're easy to identify with and anthropomorphize, and they just look cool, to boot.

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
Combination of things.
1: Love for Dogs is so big, the extent to which they're given a personality, it's like the general public has already anthropomorphized them anyway.
2:Common household pet. They're already on people's minds when they think about animals, so they're probably often the first considered, on top of being a really likable option.
By comparison, I think deer are pretty likable, and they're built up to have a personality that would be really appealing to introverted people, but people don't often think about them. So a lot of introverts that otherwise might have picked a deer, or a rabbit, or whatever other quiet animal will get stuck in the 'entry net' bonus that canines and cats get.
probably more, but I'm becoming lazy.

Godzilla

Getting thru it all
A lot of people are introduced to the furry fandom through canine sonas. They see a fuzzy wolf cartoon dogy and think that's neat.
Also for me at least, they are the easiest to draw, which is why I eventually settled on a canine sona
I'm sure there are a lot of 12 year olds also who found it easier to draw wolfy over the subtle nuances of other animals such as deer

Peach's

mathmagician
. So a lot of introverts that otherwise might have picked a deer
I don't really see why deer are considered introverted, skittish yes, but deer will like just walk onto my yard in full daylight and hang out in the middle of the street. I see a deer basically every time I go for a walk and I've gotten rather close to them without trying to. In contrast, I see a fox or coyote like once a year and its always darting out of my field of vision. Deer are far more social between each other than an adult fox is.

I don't really see why deer are considered introverted, skittish yes, but deer will like just walk onto my yard in full daylight and hang out in the middle of the street. I see a deer basically every time I go for a walk and I've gotten rather close to them without trying to. In contrast, I see a fox or coyote like once a year and its always darting out of my field of vision. Deer are far more social between each other than an adult fox is.
Could be a whole prey thing in general. Mice and rabbits can sometimes be portrayed with similar personality traits in stories, media, etc, and I think it just became the general stereotype so to speak.

Jackpot Raccuki

Fucking Racon
They're the goodest boys.
Basic and easy to imagine, especially dogs since there's a lot of breeds so you get a much wider option of choice than you'd expect at first and of course usually an easier one to customize, or so in my experience of making canine OCs.

But I chose Grizzly bear coz big furry creatures! <3
Main reason I'm half canine is mostly for the big fluffy tail part coz bears don't get good tails, just a smol fluff tail.

So a lot of introverts that otherwise might have picked a deer, or a rabbit, or whatever other quiet animal
I wouldn't say they're introvert species.
Media may present them as such but really that's prob because they're prey species and are scared of getting eaten, y'know usual animal stuff. I've seen plenty of rabbits and deers who are extroverts.

They see a fuzzy wolf cartoon dogy and think that's neat.

Z

Z-ro

Don't look at me, I'm a feline
One of my other sonas is a canine
but just him
I don't got nothing to comment in respect of popularity
I just know that my species (for me) is superior

RossTheRottie

Movie Buff, Aquascapist, Hack Writer
I think they're very easy to relate to because Canidae species have very complex social structures and correspondingly complex social behaviors and capacity for distinct, communicative facial expressions and body language. Humans are also very social creatures and dogs in particular have adapted to hack parts of our biological responses to social interaction with other humans. As an example, dogs and humans can trigger releases of oxytocin in each others brains when exchanging gazes. We can easily understand what many Canidae species are trying to express because the facial musculature is capable of indicating a wide range of elaborate emotions and social cues. Even watching wild footage of Wolves, one can gather some of what they are trying to say to each other and the nuclear family structure of a wolf pack is something we readily understand. I am certain this is a large part of why and how dogs were domesticated in the first place and is likely indicative of a prehistoric interest in Canids generally. Sharks, reptiles, and many other mammals are more difficult to relate to from a human point of view.

Xitheon

The cat's mother.
I started out as a dog....but then, I saw the light, and realized skunks have more fun, sprayin' those silly 'ol dawgs! :p

And lots of 'em never do learn : )

Skunk spray is bad smelling but my pet greyhound can clear a room. She's lying on my bed farting in her sleep and it's like something died. And we call her "fart breath" because when she yawns it smells of fart. I can imagine a greyhound and a skunk having a stink-off, lol.

SkyeLegs

Reet Mazer
Because they're all good bois.

Also, don't dogs have strong DNA similarities to humans?