• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Are Canine Sonas The Most Popular?

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
By the way, check out the group 'Scrotifera' in my previous post. Apparently that's a real name a scientist got away with

Scientists get away with lots of strange naming. Scrotifera are a sister group to Eulipotyphla, which means "truly fat and blind". That cracks me up even more!

Back to the topic, I personally find it curious that feline sonas aren't as common as canine ones. Cats are roughly as popular as pets as dogs are (even more so on the internet), and they're pretty common in cartoons too.

D

Deleted member 132067

Back to the topic, I personally find it curious that feline sonas aren't as common as canine ones. Cats are roughly as popular as pets as dogs are (even more so on the internet), and they're pretty common in cartoons too.
To be fair, (though this may just be a feeling), I think there's still considerably more cat than dog sonas around.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
To be fair, (though this may just be a feeling), I think there's still considerably more cat than dog sonas around.

Whether we see more felines or canines around must be dependent on our respective social circles.

For a more statistical view of things though, wolves take the cake with about 25% popularity, according to this graph (and the first kind of cat, the domestic one, is on 4th position with less than 9%):
vis.adjectivespecies.com: Species Popularity Explorer | [adjective][species]

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?

36-All-Species-1.png

Dogs and their kin are the most popular fursonas by far.

@Pomorek I personally wonder whether dogs are more popular than cats because dogs may be perceived as more masculine, and most furries are men. If I'm right, I suspect that furries with cross-dressing fetishes should have a higher cat/dog ratio than furries who don't.
Maybe we can test that. :3

StealthMode

*stealth mode activated*
Banned
36-All-Species-1.png

@Pomorek I personally wonder whether dogs are more popular than cats because dogs may be perceived as more masculine, and most furries are men. If I'm right, I suspect that furries with cross-dressing fetishes should have a higher cat/dog ratio than furries who don't.
ooooooofff Insects all the way at the end. Meh, at least we're on the list. Thats good enough in my book. Oh and by the way, how are deers that low? I always see deer sonas

Fallowfox

Searching for 'gay' on furaffinity, 34 of the first 36 results include dogs, and 1 result includes a cat.

Searching for 'gay crossdressing' on furaffinity, 30 of the first 36 results include dogs, and 5 results include a cat.

ooooooofff Insects all the way at the end. Meh, at least we're on the list. Thats good enough in my book. Oh and by the way, how are deers all that low? I always see deer sonas

Perhaps some people have more than 1 fursona, and many furries with a deer fursona also have a fox or dog fursona.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
I personally wonder whether dogs are more popular than cats because dogs may be perceived as more masculine, and most furries are men. If I'm right, I suspect that furries with cross-dressing fetishes should have a higher cat/dog ratio than furries who don't.
I also had a vague idea going in this direction, in my case being that the (very broadly defined) dogs are perceived as more "badass" than cats. Hence their higher popularity.

Searching for 'gay' on furaffinity, 34 of the first 36 results include dogs, and 1 result includes a cat.

Searching for 'gay crossdressing' on furaffinity, 30 of the first 36 results include dogs, and 5 results include a cat.
Looks convincing. While the sample size isn't very huge, the tendency is there.

The webpage I took my graph from contains more statistical info. Sadly, much of it, including items which could be most relevant such as "Gender identity and expression in the fandom", have broken links...
Perhaps some people have more than 1 fursona, and many furries with a deer fursona also have a fox or dog fursona.
That's also likely. As mentioned in another thread a while ago, I have an antelope "secondary". But when submitting a survey I'd most likely put my species as striped hyena (my "primary") without thinking twice.

Fallowfox

I also had a vague idea going in this direction, in my case being that the (very broadly defined) dogs are perceived as more "badass" than cats. Hence their higher popularity.

Looks convincing. While the sample size isn't very huge, the tendency is there.

The webpage I took my graph from contains more statistical info. Sadly, much of it, including items which could be most relevant such as "Gender identity and expression in the fandom", have broken links...

That's also likely. As mentioned in another thread a while ago, I have an antelope "secondary". But when submitting a survey I'd most likely put my species as striped hyena (my "primary") without thinking twice.

We could probably do a more thorough scrape of furaffinity's data and get better answers, but it would be some effort! x3

P

Purplefuzz

Human familiarity and empathy with them. They're intelligent, social, adorable/cute/impressive creatures that have been part of our own society in some way shape or form for millenia. They're easy to identify with and anthropomorphize, and they just look cool, to boot.

Yeah you don't have suspend your disbelief on them being highly human like, that other anthro's have. Not to mention actually look cuter being humanoid.

N

Nyro46

Canines/canids have always been rather popular in cartoons, I mean it seems to be fairly common in cartoon movies with anthro characters that there is an anthro fox. (Starting with Robin Hood. Plus he probably didn't help to begin with). Also cartoon wolves (probably started from the Big Bad Wolf). And if you look at a lot of the Mickey Mouse universe cartoons, pretty much most of the background characters are "dog faces" which are basically weird humanoid dog things lol. While cats are loved by a lot of people, dogs you see a lot more often on a day-to-day basis. People walking their dogs is WAY more common then say, people walking their cats (which you pretty much never see, at least not in North America). When I worked at a fast food restaurant, out of the two years I worked there, there was only one time I saw a cat on a leash in someone's vehicle. (Though a couple times I saw a cat or kitten in a crate). Dogs have also been around with humans I believe longer than any other domesticated animals, hence their diversity in appearance and behaviours.

My fursona used to be a dog, because they were based on a journal I had in grade 7 when I drew everyone from my school as dogs (including myself). Though later on I didn't feel like a dog really suited my personality. I kept the character but stopped using them as a fursona. Now, my fursona is a caracal/osprey.

BlazingBunny

I am completely new just joined forums today this is first comment ;) don't actually have a fursona I want to learn to draw and want to be a rabbit perhaps rabbit hybrid but there a sooooo much harder to draw to beginners so im now leaning on being a fox for now as they can still get the fluffiness and cool patens I want but way easy to start drawing so that is probably stoping a lot of new people choosing other fursonas. Plus since so many people are all ready wolves and foxes there is already so so much more inspiration for designes out there for it

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
Because puppers are our closest friends.

Z

ZeroVoidTime

36-All-Species-1.png

Either that or it is easy to see dog and wolf fursonas in some unscrupulous sexual situations if you get what I mean........;) (Hint: it has to do with dominance..........)

Mayflower

Chocolate horse delicacy
I've always thought that it has something to do with their looks and the things people associate with them. They can fit into a lot of different roles and desirable fursona designs. Canine characters can have a lot of different body types, for example. I usually see them with slim, normal or athletic body types, while characters of other species are often portrayed quite differently. Take a bull or a rhino, for example. A lot of people will picture them as fairly muscular, and perhaps even a bit overweight. I don't think that's the most popular look for people who want to create a character that'll represent them in various pictures or roleplaying games.

Personality wise, canines also cover a very broad spectrum, due to the things people tend to associate with them, and since "canine" includes such different species as foxes and wolves. They can be playful, flirty and silly characters. They can be the loyal warrior types. They fit into so many different roles. I don't see many other species used for such varied roles.

Canines also just look good with their tails and long muzzles :p

L

loligoo

hii! i'd say cuz ppl feel strongest connection to canines (even dogs are considered our best friends and are the most popular pet worldwide).
but who knows, it's probs cuz they're cute n fluffy? for some reason, fluffy animals are considered cuter?
though my fursona's a cat so... xD

FluffyShutterbug

The Fox Is Back In Town!
I've always thought that it has something to do with their looks and the things people associate with them. They can fit into a lot of different roles and desirable fursona designs. Canine characters can have a lot of different body types, for example. I usually see them with slim, normal or athletic body types, while characters of other species are often portrayed quite differently. Take a bull or a rhino, for example. A lot of people will picture them as fairly muscular, and perhaps even a bit overweight. I don't think that's the most popular look for people who want to create a character that'll represent them in various pictures or roleplaying games.

Personality wise, canines also cover a very broad spectrum, due to the things people tend to associate with them, and since "canine" includes such different species as foxes and wolves. They can be playful, flirty and silly characters. They can be the loyal warrior types. They fit into so many different roles. I don't see many other species used for such varied roles.

Canines also just look good with their tails and long muzzles :p
I don't know why but I've ALWAYS loved their long snoots for some reason.

Sushimitsu

"Dosukoi"
I've never been a dog person, but from recent days, I realised that the majority of characters, designs and attributes that I enjoy are all Different types of dog characters. Maybe I could give this "a man's best friend" thing a try? Because all i see are good Bois and good Girls. Also they are cuties, Especially the fursonas.

zidders

Because they evolved alongside us and have formed one of the closest bonds between human and a different species we know of. Plus they've been in popular media more and more since the turn of the 20th century. The whole dog thing really took off with Jack London's 'Call of the Wild'. Published in 1903 it was meant for the pulp market which means it was cheap to print and to buy. From that point on more and more people started writing stories where rather than being hunters relegated to a subservient/background roles they became characters in their own right. Aside from horses there aren't many other animals that have attained that level of popularity and fame. Plus after WWII as more and more suburbs were developed dogs moved from being outside farm animals to inside companions. Shows like Lassie solidified the idea of a dog as a necessary aspect of a successful family and home life. Every fireside had to have a dog.

I remember when I was a kid I'd read about dogs and their friendships with young people and see them on TV. I wanted to be like the boys or girls in the shows I watched and books I read. I think it's an artifact of that 35k year association that continues on to this day. We want to emulate the animals we've come to feel are more than just animals. They're our friends and share a bond with us that truly is rare.