• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Are Foxes SO Popular!?

SkyFurCreations

*Revamping The Fandom*
I don't understand, can somebody explain?Aesthetically speaking, they are one of the most common animals in the world, with almost no variation to them. Physically speaking, they aren't that strong. They ARE cunning. I just don't know if people's fursona is a fox because of the traits of a fox, if they are just in love with that animal or what? No hate here, just curious why foxes COMPLETELY dominate over any other animal.

If you're a fox, please explain this mystery.

Sforzie

Professional Kuja fangirl
I think it's the fluffy tails, tbh. Though, I would have thought that wolves would be slightly more popular than foxes? I dunno. My guess is the tails. I mean, I would have a fluffy tail if I could.

Ieono

Uberaffe
I think the answer lies in the early days of the fandom, but I am not interested enough to look it up, haha. I've never understood why foxes are so popular, either. I can understand wolves, because of the incorrectly-asserted idea of the "lone wolf badass," but not sure about foxes.

stablercake

a bubblegum pink nose
0.jpg

I can pretty much guarantee it's because everyone still had a crush on this dude when the internet was young.

Plus they're kind of dogs + cats which is the ultimate critter combo that's relatable to most people. Fluffy, cute, but also a dog sort of.

Last edited:

Strangeguy32000

Dack Remus Applewold
0.jpg

I can pretty much guarantee it's because everyone still had a crush on this dude when the internet was young.

Plus they're kind of dogs + cats which is the ultimate critter combo that's relatable to most people. Fluffy, cute, but also a dog sort of.
Basically, this.

Disney's Robin Hood didn't need the physique of a superhero to be one (Costner did, but then again, Waterworld). He had the wit, he got the girl, he could even thread an arrow through another arrow at sixty paces (by deflecting said arrow with yet another arrow in-flight) dude was impressively-skilled and he took no shit from "Authorities" (because really, who wants to obey a usurper to the throne and a swindling pig of a constable?)

Plus, Foxes are floofy and sly.

I don't understand, can somebody explain?Aesthetically speaking, they are one of the most common animals in the world, with almost no variation to them. Physically speaking, they aren't that strong. They ARE cunning. I just don't know if people's fursona is a fox because of the traits of a fox, if they are just in love with that animal or what? No hate here, just curious why foxes COMPLETELY dominate over any other animal.

If you're a fox, please explain this mystery.
Well, I picked a fox for the look and the traits. Well, I also had no idea how popular they were among furries when I made my sona. XD I picked a fox because I like canines and the traits seemed more fitting for me than a wolf, cunning, agile, and a more loner life style than a wolf pack. You could say I'm a lone wolf. XD I'm sorry, that was terrible.

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
This all sounds accurate. I imagine Zootopia's main fox character will haul in a herd more fox lovers to the fandom.

Dazreiello

Incomprehensible horror. DRAGON
They work very well with Dragons alot. And Dragons are super popular too. So by extension?... idk lol.

TheKC

Fuzzy drawing dragon!
I agree with @stablercake They are fluffy, and more slender canine. They my not be as powerful as wolves but seem less aggressive. They seem more unique to the canine family. They are just adorable and orange. X3
Maybe people relay to them more.

And also helps that we have a lot of figures with the fox. Robbin Hood, What does the fox say, Mr. Fox, Miles Tails Power, Tod (Fox and the Hound), and many more. Most of them are positive.

Strangeguy32000

Dack Remus Applewold
I agree with @stablercake They are fluffy, and more slender canine. They my not be as powerful as wolves but seem less aggressive. They seem more unique to the canine family. They are just adorable and orange. X3
Maybe people relay to them more.

And also helps that we have a lot of figures with the fox. Robbin Hood, What does the fox say, Mr. Fox, Miles "Tails" Prower, Tod (Fox and the Hound), and many more. Most of them are positive.

I fully expect for people to try to get under my skin with the lyrics to that song once I finish my fursuit. To which I will probably laugh and sing the "Tchoff" verse.

Moderator-Gazelle

Forum Moderator
Probably because of old cartoons and their popularity in mainstream culture as being about as adorable as dogs or cats. I think (and someone will correct me if i'm wrong) the list of cute internet creatures goes: Cats, Dogs, Foxes.

Personally I like Gazelles but... you know...~

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Foxes are cute, and well known.
There are plenty of other cute animals, but since less people know of them, they're not as popular.

StrangerCoug

Stranger Than You!
I really want to say pop culture outside of the fandom plays a part. People like the qualities associated with them, (you've given some yourself, and stablercake's given a really big hint at another), and they see themselves that way as well. Hence, the fox has pretty much become the poster boy of the furry fandom. On the other hand, animals that don't get as much love in popular culture have a tendency not to get it in the fandom either from what I've seen. I AM aware of other cougars in the fandom but the ones I know of and interact with are few in number.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I think they're popular for a number of reasons:

1. They're very common, yet conversely also very elusive; as wolves have become nearly extinct in the US, they are the largest predator.

2. Though technically canine, they also have many feline traits: Retractable claws, excellent night vision, agility.

3. They have a rich mythology in both Western and Eastern cultures, dating back to ancient times.

4. In the furry world, they're cute, and as everyone knows, foxes will do almost anything...and they often seem to have a good sense of humor.

5. Japan.

6. They smell musky, sorta like a skunk.

Last edited:

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
@Aloe-ki: It does seem like that; they're at a sort of dividing point between the canine and feline branches, but canine.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Canidae
Genus: Vulpes
Species: V. vulpes (red fox)

(apologies for the quick wiki cut and paste, but my paws are gettin' tired from...er...typing!)

Jazz Panther

Swing the Mood!
This is the reason why I like foxes...

a_portrait_of_a_pirate__foxy_sfm_wallpaper__by_gold94chica-d8lvsrx.jpg