• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why Are People Always Using Dark Themes Now?

What Theme Colour Do You Use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

Jaekada

Simple - too much damn white in design!

Seriously, with the sites I visit, it's white by default. So much on Reddit, so much on Facebook, so much on this site and that. When you surf for prolonged hours, that whiteness will be an eyesore. It's such a relief to be surfing on any night theme if allowed, because it's softer on the eyes.

Too much white, be more creative, web designers!

Trndsttr

Yeet
When Dark Theme on YouTube cane out, I was like ‘okay... what’s this?” I put it on and never changed it, because it looked cool (And I didn’t know how...) and ever since then dark theme has sort of been the default. I switched to it on Reddit too, because I do a lot of stuff on my phone at night and it was easier to sleep because there was far less bright lights in my face. Just a personal preference, though.

L

LotusDog

A newbie question, but does FA Forums have a dark mode? My eyes are dying.

D

Deleted member 82554

Jayhusky made an unofficial one too over on the main site and it's pretty good, but I don't use it because Samsung browser does the same job.

Niru the Husky

Can easily be persuaded with bacon...
I use the dark theme, because it's more pleasant for my eyes late in the night. Nothing hurts more than get a very bright screen directly in front of your eyes, when every light is turned off 0.o

Q2DM1

Because we're all secretly missing the goth era
So many answers to this question and most of them agree on a very small number of things: easy on the eyes and battery life. This one is the closest to my own personal reason: I just like the dark themes better. When I do coding, etc, I'm already looking at a (relatively) dark screen and the room is usually fairly lit itself. I just like the blackness. And, as stated once already, a dark theme has better contrast with colors; makes it easier to see(?).

Foxbean

Simple - too much damn white in design!

Seriously, with the sites I visit, it's white by default. So much on Reddit, so much on Facebook, so much on this site and that. When you surf for prolonged hours, that whiteness will be an eyesore. It's such a relief to be surfing on any night theme if allowed, because it's softer on the eyes.

Too much white, be more creative, web designers!

Funny! I am a web designer by profession.

Back in the day (say 10-15 years ago) people tended to prefer dark text on white for the same reason people prefer white text on dark - Screens had much more intense "lightness" in their whites, pixels were harsher, etc. (text looks extra sharp, like "pixel art" when you zoom in.) Nowadays pixel densities have changed (text looks "fuzzy" when you zoom in on a PC screen), and mobile devices just got better with how they handle contrast.

And yes, the major thing that has changed is people spending more and more time on ANY kind of screen.

hara-surya

Deviated Prevert
I tend to prefer light themes, but then again I nearly always use my computer in a well lit room. (I prefer well lit rooms in general and installed 100+ watt equivalent LEDs all around the house last winter, which annoyed the hell out of my ex but helped my seasonal depression.)

I do prefer reading Kindle books in white-on-dark if I'm on an iPad, but on my actual Kindle I still use normal black-on-white.