• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why can I draw as good digitally as I do traditional drawings?

Kope

Artist?
Banned
It only looks the same when I sketch digital but line art looks so bad. :(

Weed_kangaroo

Weed n hoes dealer
If the art software you use has an pen stabilizer, use it. Do not put the stabilizer at 100%, 50% is ok, that will help you until you get better pulse in drawing. Also, if lineart frustrates you so much, you can stick in for other techniques or art styles that are easier to do in digital (for example painting)

Kope

Artist?
Banned
I don't think procreate app has that

Weed_kangaroo

Weed n hoes dealer
Oh, sorry for that. Are not there tutorials to have better pulse in Procreate? I browsed on internet and there are some downloadable brushes, maybe you could modify the brush to make it thin and pointy in both the start and end of the line

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Oh, sorry for that. Are not there tutorials to have better pulse in Procreate? I browsed on internet and there are some downloadable brushes, maybe you could modify the brush to make it thin and pointy in both the start and end of the line
Maybe so

Judge Spear

>Procreate

You might be misjudging what youre doing. Drawing on an iPad is a markedly different experience from drawing on a dedicated display tablet like a Kamvas. I dont know the ins and outs of an iPad and Procreate. But I know how CSP on a Tab S7 feels. It takes me forever to finish anything on it vs my computer.

Lineart is going to take you months to just barely begin to get it on any device though.

Last edited:

Kope

Artist?
Banned
>Procreate

You might be misjudging what youre doing. Drawing on an iPad is a markedly different experience from drawing on a dedicated display tablet like a Kamvas. I dont know the ins and outs of an iPad and Procreate. But I know how CSP on a Tab S7 feels. It takes me forever to finish anything on it vs my computer.

Lineart is going to take you months to just barely begin to ge i3t on any device though.
Really? I see artists pump out work all the time though

Kope

Artist?
Banned
How long have you been drawing digitally? Usually it's difficult to get used to the new programs and tools when you just start. Sometimes even the transition from one tablet to another can result frustrating at first.
1 in a half years or so

X

Xitheon

It only looks the same when I sketch digital but line art looks so bad. :(

I don't usually bother with line art. I don't draw much anymore but when I did digital art I enjoyed blurring everything, lol.

Inafox

Digital is definitely harder to draw with even if you can undo mistakes or make corrections easier. I find also that shading is easier with traditional media as traditional tools are finer and look less flat/blurry. It's much more convenient for me to use digital, though. I feel bad about using paper and I can't afford a good scanner either. Have you considered doing mixed media? You can draw on paper and then make corrections on the computer.

I think it's just best to use whatever you find you want to do more of, I like digital art myself. Only push for things you find hard if you really want them, else just may as well use what's easier for you :3
If you got a good tablet and software it's just practice of working within your tablet's limits as after all it's only emulating traditional tools.

Lunula

Peachy Panda
Give yourself time to adjust. It may depend on many things, software you're using, tablet etc.

In the past I've been strictly traditional artist. Now I'm mostly digital. It was really hard to adjust and I had to develop digital skill separately.
Take your time to learn your software and don't give up.

Cain_

Cain
With Procreate, you can install other free brushes that do have stabilizers. FYI Procreate does have preset pens with stabilizers so I don't think it should be too hard to find.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
With Procreate, you can install other free brushes that do have stabilizers. FYI Procreate does have preset pens with stabilizers so I don't think it should be too hard to find.
I’m a dummy though

Kope

Artist?
Banned

Kope

Artist?
Banned

Loose Screws

I don't know if this helps, but will add it anyway:

I've gotten used to drawing on an old graphics tablet, a huion display tablet (took me a little bit to get used to it) and I draw traditionally, too, so I'm pretty experienced with lineart in all of these.
I recently purchased an ipad and I am so frustrated with how much my linework sucks, it's really different to the other drawing devices. I tried those rubber nibs for the apple pen for more control but they offset the point of contact and it didn't really help me either. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I have to have the stabilization on, and I really don't like how it limits my speed lines (I like to draw very quick strokes) BUT, it's something to work with, and I've managed to draw some sketches without wanting to return it lol.

I say this because I relate to you, I hope it's a small comfort to know others find the ipad/Procreate hard, (and I've been drawing digitally for years). I hope we can both adjust to it soon : )

Inafox

I don't know if this helps, but will add it anyway:

I've gotten used to drawing on an old graphics tablet, a huion display tablet (took me a little bit to get used to it) and I draw traditionally, too, so I'm pretty experienced with lineart in all of these.
I recently purchased an ipad and I am so frustrated with how much my linework sucks, it's really different to the other drawing devices. I tried those rubber nibs for the apple pen for more control but they offset the point of contact and it didn't really help me either. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I have to have the stabilization on, and I really don't like how it limits my speed lines (I like to draw very quick strokes) BUT, it's something to work with, and I've managed to draw some sketches without wanting to return it lol.

I say this because I relate to you, I hope it's a small comfort to know others find the ipad/Procreate hard, (and I've been drawing digitally for years). I hope we can both adjust to it soon : )
Yeah the iPad feels very inaccurate compared to say XP Pen, Huion or Wacom. But it can be ok for loose/textural painting and a bit of sketching.
Otherwise it's just going to make you spend longer time. Good idea to treat the iPad or other such tablets more as a portable sketch book. They're also pretty expensive to scratch so always a good idea to use a screen protector. The Surface tablets have similar issue but I feel like they were slightly more accurate than the iPad, it's just a shame about how bendy the screens can be. I can't afford to keep either personally so can't say how easy you can overcome it with time. Bare in mind that desktop tablets specifically use not just a more solid accurate experience but also have overall better design, ergonomics and texture to deliver a more authentic drawing experience (depending on your budget however). I hear Wacom has a portable tablet, no idea how good it is, but I hear the integrated computer can be quite sluggish.

Fluxbender

Are you using a mouse to draw with or a tablet? The type of tablet makes a difference too. Regular tablet vs. one you can see/draw on (cintq, etc.). I was rarely able to get line art to look good with a mouse, but some people are really good with them. Tried regular tablets and could never get used to the disconnect from the 'drawing area' vs. what I could see. No idea what brushes Procreate has but on Photoshop there are these 'calligraphy brushes' which I found to give a neat look to line art. Keep the brush size small (around 11-13 points) and the canvas bigger than 500 x 500.

Kope

Artist?
Banned
Are you using a mouse to draw with or a tablet? The type of tablet makes a difference too. Regular tablet vs. one you can see/draw on (cintq, etc.). I was rarely able to get line art to look good with a mouse, but some people are really good with them. Tried regular tablets and could never get used to the disconnect from the 'drawing area' vs. what I could see. No idea what brushes Procreate has but on Photoshop there are these 'calligraphy brushes' which I found to give a neat look to line art. Keep the brush size small (around 11-13 points) and the canvas bigger than 500 x 500.
I feel like I’m only good at physical stuff now idk, maybe it’s because I have to try harder or something to create.

Inafox

You need pen-rotation to emulate calligraphy properly, irl calligraphy brushes are elongated ink pens that look different as you rotate the pen. Keeping a fixed angle is ok for certain calligraphic writing styles but the angle is too forced for most art styles. If I recall only the Wacom Art Pen supporting tablets can handle true pen rotation.
You may get on better with a regular tablet, you may get on better with a screen tablet, even for longstanding pros it varies a lot and there's an expense to it. Most tablets are good/bad based on their technological accuracy rather than whether they have a screen or not, and surface texture is usually much better for non-screen tablets.
Unfortunately, iPad I don't think supports pen-rotation but you can probably emulate ink-brushes with the pen-tilt but in general I'd avoid calligraphy in artwork unless it's something you specifically are going for stylistically as it tends to make your lines look more fun than they are accurate which is bad visual feedback for a beginner.

I feel like I’m only good at physical stuff now idk, maybe it’s because I have to try harder or something to create.
Am not sure what you mean here. What do you mean by physical or harder here?

PiedPipecleaner

Surviving on my last braincell
I dunno if I can add anything that hasn’t been already said here, but as a primarily digital artist who really focused in on lineart, maybe I can help a little?

First off, it took years before I finally figured everything out. Don’t go kicking yourself just because you can’t immediately pick it up - it’s a difficult skill to learn. Anyway, I always start with a rough sketch of what I want to line. Make that layer around 20% opacity once it’s done and use it as my guide for the actual lineart. I typically put stabilization around 60-70. You want long quick strokes, the slower you go the more kinks will show. Even then, most lines require that I draw them more than once to get it just right, so I always keep a finger hovering over my undo button. The brush itself I usually keep at around 15px or so, but that really depends more on your canvas size, of which my stuff tends to be on the large end.

Ultimately, just remember that just because you read how someone else did it it does not mean that it will suddenly work for you. These things take time, patience, and experimenting to figure out. Don’t get discouraged, just keep on drawing and eventually something will click.