• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do Americans use English so poorly?

Hooky

Was hermiting.
Surely it can be considered that just as English-speaking countries have regional dialects, so too does, for example, France (host colloquialisms of French)? I mean, while some parts of Switzerland speak German they have entirely different accents and sometimes different words.

They just find it easy and "enough" to speak English their way.

Icky

is the prettiest pony~
The real question is, how come you foreigners all speak American so badly?

Gnarl

The Arcane Sage
Ok yeah those regions are bad too. Frankly, the further from a coast you are here, the worst it is it seems.

OOFDA! Now I have been offended by such comments! The dialectics of each region are as varied as the ancestors and the original languages they spoke.
We, here in the great north woods, do not speak anything but American.....mostly. The way that those fools spoke in the movie Fargo only left us laughing.
the "Ya you betcha" and "silly bugger" comments are only used in jest! I have traveled much of the world and can speak greetings in more languages than I can usually remember from day to day. It is true that a lot of Americans can be traced to a certain part of the country by our speech patterns and even our accents but that does not mean that we are ignorant of the language!

RockerFox

Meat Popsicle
OOFDA! Now I have been offended by such comments! The dialectics of each region are as varied as the ancestors and the original languages they spoke.
We, here in the great north woods, do not speak anything but American.....mostly. The way that those fools spoke in the movie Fargo only left us laughing.
the "Ya you betcha" and "silly bugger" comments are only used in jest! I have traveled much of the world and can speak greetings in more languages than I can usually remember from day to day. It is true that a lot of Americans can be traced to a certain part of the country by our speech patterns and even our accents but that does not mean that we are ignorant of the language!

Some people would find it odd that I'm a Californian and I don't sound like a surfer.
Although I do admit to using the word "Dude" a lot when referring to people

Gnarl

The Arcane Sage
Some people would find it odd that I'm a Californian and I don't sound like a surfer.
Although I do admit to using the word "Dude" a lot when referring to people
When I am not paying attention, and because I grew up within a mile of the Canadian border I will sometimes say "Aye" without thinking. But that is about it.

oh, I am sorry, I seem to have forgotten the "Don'tcha know!" on the end of that!

Last edited:

Grungecat

90's Cat
Hmm, I didn't really put much thought into it. I've always been told that I talk funny, but the again I'm also a dirty carpetbagger living in the South, so I dunno. Must be my Northern dialect with a slight Southern drawl, I guess.

Distorted

I actually like the southern accent, being from Alabama and all. I find Northern American accents to be a bit rushed and brash. And it's soda, not pop. That was the hardest thing to get over, my lord. But then again southern accents can be a bit ridiculous in extremes. My favorite is "I ain't not never..." You wouldn't believe how many people actually say this.

Grungecat

90's Cat
I actually like the southern accent, being from Alabama and all. I find Northern American accents to be a bit rushed and brash. And it's soda, not pop. That was the hardest thing to get over, my lord. But then again southern accents can be a bit ridiculous in extremes. My favorite is "I ain't not never..." You wouldn't believe how many people actually say this.

That used to bug the crap out of me. I was the only one in my extended family that said soda instead of pop. Don't know why pop bothers me, but it does to no end. Apologies to anyone here who uses it, but I just can't do it.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Honestly, I kind of like the southern accents.
I'd much rather listen to a country American accent than a rural British one.

The further you stray from London , the scarier it gets...
At least American accents are not incomprehensible!

Schwimmwagen

The further you stray from London , the scarier it gets...

London is actually amongst the worst England has to offer. Cockney slang - the slang invented for the sole purpose of being impossible to understand for foreigners - comes from the East End of London, as well as other rubbish accents from other parts of London. You're thinking about BBC-type accents which are scattered about all over the place.

Sweetheartz22

Simply amazing.
I honestly have no idea how to react to this....
I was born and raised in both Texas and New Mexico. So I have a *really* Southern drawl with a mix of Spanglish. Of course, after just moving to the D.C. area, I have Northerners ask me all the time to say something in my Southern Belle accent like some sort of side attraction on a daily basis. As for rednecks, I think it depends on who you talk to. My husband is what I like to call a high-class redneck since he acts like a proper gentleman in public, but can go completely redneck if you have he and his family together in the same place. He was raised in the backwoods with the trailer parks in both Pennsylvania and North Dakota. Funny enough, he ended up getting a Canadian accent while he lived in North Dakota, too.
In conclusion, there are people out there who use proper English when they need or have to and there are people who don't give two shits what anyone thinks.

Gator Joe

Ragin' Cajun Redneck Gator
Now this idea popped into mind in large part because I live next door to a family of rednecks. (I'm not using the term offensively; it's just a fact. And yes you might be a redneck if you have a portable meat smoker parked in your driveway 24/7 and or you think wearing a camo hunting jacket during the summer midday sun is "cool" or the like)

But yeah the kids of this family, besides being racist little pricks (My first day back instead of being greeted by: "Hello, neighbor." It was more akin to "CHING CHONG YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?") seem to have failed out of Elementary school grammar.

Which of course irks me a little. Why? Because I keep meeting people from around the world (Especially on this forum). English definitely wasn't their first language. And yet their mastery of it makes individuals who are native to this country look bad.

I will make note that having lived in more than one State (Bounced between Alabama and Florida a bit as a child) and having experienced both private and public schools; there is a quite a difference between education levels within each area. Nonetheless why is it that Americans can't even do a half-decent job on their own language while Europeans/Asians/Austalians can master 2 to 5 different languages seemingly flawlessly? (My Serbian International Relations professor could speak in 7 different languages...)

You have summoned the proud redneck of the Fur Affinity Forums.

I can use terrible grammar or be very literate as I please depending on the occasion. Yes, many of my redneck brethren sound like morons, but illiteracy can apply to any type of person. Living in the Deep South has no effect on proper grammar. I live in the West (plan on moving to Alabama), and there are many people over here who sound like they did not make it to the 5th grade. You say rednecks sound like they failed out of elementary school grammar, but I can better understand my redneck brethren than many black people. And so we're clear, I have redneck friends and family from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Tennessee.

I have noticed that many Americans are wanting to learn languages other than English. I have continued to focus on English and enhance my vocabulary. In the Deep South, there is a small yet strong urge to increase literacy in our youth. Southern heritage organizations take much pride in educating our youth so that they can become outstanding leaders. The Sons of Confederate Veterans' Sam Davis Youth Camp in Texas is a fun summer experience that teaches useful skills, proper grammar, etiquette, etc. They teach things that schools don't teach our youth.

By the way, your neighbors sound awesome. I'd love living next door to them.

I honestly have no idea how to react to this....
I was born and raised in both Texas and New Mexico. So I have a *really* Southern drawl with a mix of Spanglish. Of course, after just moving to the D.C. area, I have Northerners ask me all the time to say something in my Southern Belle accent like some sort of side attraction on a daily basis. As for rednecks, I think it depends on who you talk to. My husband is what I like to call a high-class redneck since he acts like a proper gentleman in public, but can go completely redneck if you have he and his family together in the same place. He was raised in the backwoods with the trailer parks in both Pennsylvania and North Dakota. Funny enough, he ended up getting a Canadian accent while he lived in North Dakota, too.
In conclusion, there are people out there who use proper English when they need or have to and there are people who don't give two shits what anyone thinks.

You hit the nail on the head right there! I'm glad to have you as a friend.

Last edited: