• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do Furries love Steven Universe?

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
I thoroughly enjoy the cartoon, you just have to push through the first season. I started watching it from episode one, and the show has really come a long way.

Distorted

Its two female characters in mutually loving relationship. What would you call it?

Just a relationship I guess. I just don't want this show to be criticized or cancelled because of some religious nuts freaking out over the characters' interactions. But I also don't want it to be something the LGBTQ community claims either. I mean you should've seen how people were reacting to Stevonnie. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I try not to read too much into the show and I don't want it to be so controversial that it gets into some trouble or anything. It's too good to stop.

N

Nyro46

Just curious, who are the two characters that show this relationship?

Ratical

I don't think I've ever seen it myself, since I don't watch a whole lotta TV nowadays, but I've heard it's pretty "progressive", so that might have something to do with it. Meaning it pushes kids show boundaries so adults can feel more comfortable watching it while still feeding off their desire to watch animation. I can maybe see how furries can relate to that.

This one gets lumped together with Gravity Falls a lot (another show I've barely seen), but I don't know if furries equally enjoy that one or not.

Distorted

there you have it. watch owt for teh gays, they like things and that makes it theirs and theirs alone! just like straight people!

:V

i'm guessing you are a very young person. /chinhands

Darn it, I didn't mean it like that. I just don't want the show to be contorted into an agenda, whether it be gay or straight or Cthullu or whatever. It's just a really good show, and I don't want anything bad to happen to it. And I think the best way for that to happen is to not read into the show too much. Simple as that.

Just curious, who are the two characters that show this relationship?

Without spoiling too much, Pearl had a very deep relationship with Rose. Borderline obsessive actually. And then there's Garnet, and that's all that needs to be said.

Last edited:

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
The show itself is actually pretty interesting after you get through the first couple of episodes... remember people are furries and there are a decent amount of people that like Steven universe... so there are going to be furries that like it

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
In general, furries enjoy cartoons and anime. Steven Universe is a western cartoon with HEAVY anime themes and stylings (magical girls, sparkly love eyes, we just need some megabots or something to tie it all in) and also it's got a lion in it, so that's neat.
Same reasons furries dig Adventure Time and Regular Show, except the show also has a huge Tumblr following which draws in more people who maybe don't usually express their fandom interest.

Cartoons, man. Who knows why we like em.

Cyanomega

Furfandom is full of manchildren
Can someone explain what exactly a man child is? Never really heard this term before. If it's just being immature, what does watching a cartoon, or cartoons in general, have to do with immaturity? If you say someone who watched cartoons is immature, do you group them together with people who enjoy video games, board/card games, comics ect? How does ones hobbies or what they enjoy entertainment wise dictate their level of maturity?

Cyanomega

Sorry, didn't mean to double post

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I tend to think of a manchild as someone who is emotionally immature, flees from adult responsibilities and experiences, has very few "age-appropriate" hobbies or interests, doesn't know how and/or when to "adult," and lacks perspective on how others see them.

So, think of the characters on The Big Bang Theory, or the sorts of people who are quoted in Our Valued Customers.

Much like the term "neckbeard," the word usually implies that a person is also geeky or nerdy.

Last edited:

Distorted

Can someone explain what exactly a man child is? Never really heard this term before. If it's just being immature, what does watching a cartoon, or cartoons in general, have to do with immaturity? If you say someone who watched cartoons is immature, do you group them together with people who enjoy video games, board/card games, comics ect? How does ones hobbies or what they enjoy entertainment wise dictate their level of maturity?

Liking those things don't exclusively make you a manchild. It's mostly used to describe a male, usually in their mid twenties, who despite being an adult has the emotional and psychological capacity of a child. They are immature in the sense that they avoid responsibly, are inconsiderate of everyone's feelings besides their own and ignorant of many adult attitudes and activities. You can still like games and cartoons and act your age, but the manchild is still stuck at a very young developmental age.

Edit.
dang it, he beat me. I'm always so slow.

Cyanomega

Thanks Troj and Distorted.
I was able to make sense of your explination better than Troj's explination Distorted.
I suppose I have a better grasp on it now.

Kaizy

Emotional Mess
I've seen clips and parts of episodes, never actually watched an entire episode or anything though. From what I've seen, it basically looks to be as decent a show as Adventure Time. People talk about all the time how the characters are enjoyable and really well developed, and how the overlapping storyline of the show is interesting. And it seems like it'd be true from the stuff I've seen. The creators definitely seem to care about their show and that's what cartoons need these days, especially with the slew of awful cartoons that were being released over the past 10 years.

My only problem is the fandom kind of ruins it for me (like most things). It's not so much their enjoyment for the show or their headcanon/shipping things, that much is always expected and I don't mind it, but it's the ceaseless constant "shoving in my face" of the show and how "I must watch it because of how perfect and flawless it is". Like I'm sure it's good and all, but god please stop telling me about it.

I had to get a blacklist extension for my Tumblr and unfollow like 30 people because most of them were posting tons of SU content and a lot of it wasn't tagged so I couldn't block any of it, so I'd have to dig through 30 pages of episode screencaps, new headcanons, and paragraphs of explanation to little details of the plot every week or so. And this isn't even exclusive to SU, it happens like once or twice a year when a new cartoon comes out that grabs everyone's attention. It's good to see cartoons that are good enough to get this amount of attention and popularity, but man the fanbases need to calm down.

Red_Lion _

Much as I love to hate on popular things.... I'm up to episode 15 and though I feel it started slow, I'm actually enjoying it more and more as it goes on.

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
The show is very LGBT friendly. Ruby and Sapphire show lots more affection than Korra and Asami.

Batty Krueger

DJ Nailbunny
I like Clarence better. Steven Universe is boring, and that theme song...ugghhh

PastryOfApathy

I've mentioned it before, but here's a timeline.

Bronies become a thing because ours is a cruel and unloving god.

Tumblristas try passing it of as "their" thing, and gradually get more and more pissy that something popular didn't start on tumblr

They wallow in their own shit for a while unable to cope with the fact that a bunch of evil shitlords on le 4chinz made something popular

Steven Universe gains some steam and they pounce on it like a fly on shit desperate to prove it's "theirs"

Tumblr gets all tumblr-y and everyone loses

Augmented Husky

Mind currently uploaded
i never watched it and i won't watch it.
end of the discussion.

I have more or less the same disposition about the show. Although its also worth mentioning I don't watch 99% of cartoons in my whole life time and never found interest cartoon network at all. The reason ? Overall terrible humor ,average storytelling at very best, and zero information that could add to or teach me something. In other words Its not worth my time.

Ratical

Volk- DAMN ain't that the truth. As well as every other damn fandom. Is there even a term for the girls who act the same way? Because there's chicks that behave like that too and bleagh.

I've heard "womanchild" before (for super otaku/anime-obsessed ladies), so that's probably it. I mean, It fits anyway. ;p

It's a rarer term since, in general, the internet is more lenient on their behavior because some nerdy guys find 'em attractive. Shared interests and all that.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Why do idiotic people have to ruin good things?