• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do Furries love Steven Universe?

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
Darn it, I didn't mean it like that. I just don't want the show to be contorted into an agenda, whether it be gay or straight or Cthullu or whatever. It's just a really good show, and I don't want anything bad to happen to it. And I think the best way for that to happen is to not read into the show too much. Simple as that.

Part of the great thing about Steven Universe is that it manages to be as progressive as it is without feeling like its pushing an agenda.

Gator

Uncledaddy
not aware of this being a "furry" thing; the show is just popular in general. i only just started watching it, but i have a feeling i'm gonna like it more and more. i think it's well done, and anything that tells a good story is ok in my book.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
The show is very LGBT friendly. Ruby and Sapphire show lots more affection than Korra and Asami.

Oh yes; it just feels like a very "queer" show to me.

I heard somewhere that Word of God has confirmed that Ruby and Sapphire are technically lesbians, as we humans would define them.

Ley

Chiming in to add it is a beautiful show that touches on a lot of adult themes that kids can understand. What I prefer over this over adventure time is that adventure time kind of.. develops a plot then it either fizzles, drops, or everything gets fixed again. Pearl is shown to continue making mistakes- more grave than the last- and they communicate their issues in the end. Amethyst touches on themes of self hatred and abandonment, Pearl unhealthy codependant relationships, and so on and so forth. The show is very loving and human- I really enjoy it.

Its also nice to see progressive themes (women in love with other women) that doesn't feel like they're shoving it down your throat. Now obviously, the show has caveats- like starting slowly, and of course, steven being kind of annoying starting out. The point of the show, however, is that it progresses as Steven gets older and learns more things. The music is beautiful and the art is gorgeous. Its a great show.

Its not for everyone, obviously. I have no opinion on tumblr's reaction to it. Tumblr is tumblr is tumblr. As is reddit. Fortunately, both sites provide me with funny GIFs and cool stories.

P

Phoenix-Kat

The only reason I have ever heard of this show is that one of the characters shares a name with my mother, Pearl. And my mother is always complaining about how it's such a rare name. Seems like Steven Universe is popular with everyone, not just furries. Can't see my mom liking it because she's so homophobic, she'd think it was promoting lesbianism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
The show is very LGBT friendly. Ruby and Sapphire show lots more affection than Korra and Asami.
if you want more korrasami fluff, there will be some in the LoK comics.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I have a strange sadness when I think about Stephen universe...I think "gee, I would have loved that show as a kid!" Instead of "I love that show!" Kinda look at life differently I guess.

Ive heard good things about it. The creator was a sailor moon fan and it shows. ;3 I'm sure Ariosto noticed.

Ratical

I have a strange sadness when I think about Stephen universe...I think "gee, I would have loved that show as a kid!" Instead of "I love that show!" Kinda look at life differently I guess.

I think some kids shows are a lot more inventive nowadays than when we were growing up. They're allowed to tackle themes no one would have been able to get away with back in the 90s, which is great, but at the same time I wouldn't give up the stuff I had, since it helps me appreciate how cool modern animation can be. Not is, since not every show out there ATM is a winner, maybe not even most shows, but there's some light there.

As backward as it sounds, I think I need to watch more TV. A lot of modern culture is passing me by.

Lucyfish

I like the show. It's cute, it's scary, it's funny, it's fairly progressive, it's got a neat little plot that's fun to follow, and the creator supports internet artists by hiring them as storyboard artists.

I dunno, to each their own. And to me goes Steven Universe. :p

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
I tried watching it and I thought the whole show was great except for Steven himself. He gave me brain cancer.

Lucyfish

Steven himself can be very grinding, but it's neat to see him develop.

Because oh my god guys character development in American cartoons is a thing again : D

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I think some kids shows are a lot more inventive nowadays than when we were growing up. They're allowed to tackle themes no one would have been able to get away with back in the 90s, which is great, but at the same time I wouldn't give up the stuff I had, since it helps me appreciate how cool modern animation can be. Not is, since not every show out there ATM is a winner, maybe not even most shows, but there's some light there.

As backward as it sounds, I think I need to watch more TV. A lot of modern culture is passing me by.

Actually 90's cartoons did tackle a lot of things that were relatable for that time. Like Hey Arnold!, Gargoyles, Captain planet. If a show tackled AIDS and safe sex nowadays, parents would throw a hissy fit. The only difference between today and the 1990's are the issues. Back then, you had shows that tackled gang violence, drug use, AIDS and HIV. Now it's LGBT, war, etc.

malibu

I don't think furries like Steven Universe more than other people, I just think it's a generally popular show. I like it, personally. Garnet's hot.

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
I thought it was more just a very popular show. Not just furries.

I still haven't watched an episode because I don't like the art style.

Spiderdragon

Fury of the Dragonstorm
>>> Cue the obligatory I haven't watched it and am stating an opinion unrelated to SU's subject matter

Oi, the thing about any show that sets fire to Tumblr is that it will generate a tsunami of super-hyped fans in its wake. Look at Supernatural, look at LoK, look at Homestuck, look at Doctor Who. There will /always/ be the loud, obnoxious, overexcited fans who only want to drag you into their fandungeons for the sake of having someone else to enjoy their superawesome favourite show with. And you hear the loud minority far more than the quiet majority, always. If it looks like a certain show or game has a huge cult following (haha) then it's just cause there's a relatively small group devoted to expounding its glory to the world.

What do you folks think, is this legit?

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
>>> Cue the obligatory I haven't watched it and am stating an opinion unrelated to SU's subject matter

Oi, the thing about any show that sets fire to Tumblr is that it will generate a tsunami of super-hyped fans in its wake. Look at Supernatural, look at LoK, look at Homestuck, look at Doctor Who. There will /always/ be the loud, obnoxious, overexcited fans who only want to drag you into their fandungeons for the sake of having someone else to enjoy their superawesome favourite show with. And you hear the loud minority far more than the quiet majority, always. If it looks like a certain show or game has a huge cult following (haha) then it's just cause there's a relatively small group devoted to expounding its glory to the world.

What do you folks think, is this legit?

It's an apt assessment.

S

ScorchedSep

I like it because the storyline is very organized! They aren't spending every episode chasing Dorito Peridot, instead they put other episodes in the mix to keep the how from getting so overheated. But I do wanna see the Homeworld and Peridot finally getting captured. :)

I also LOVE Warp Pads!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridia

>^..^
I personally enjoy Steven Universe because I feel like it's a great cartoon for kids. It doesn't always sugar coat that Bad Things Can Happen In Life, and it doesn't treat the audience like they're vapid idiots (staring as you, Dora the Explorer). I'm really happy that my grandnephew loves these kinds of shows, they feel like they're important for a developing mind.

And, the music is catchy, too. Much better than some kids shows manage.