• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do furries want to inject anthros into everything?

Mentova

I live, I die, I live again
This is something I've noticed here that I've never understood. I've seen so many threads that basically boil down to "I like X would it be cool if there was something like X, but with anthros?" Then you see furries doing things like modding anthro characters into videogames, even ones that make no sense to have anthros in (fallout seems to be popular with this). I just... don't get it. Do furries just look at something and go "This is cool, but it would be so much cooler with dog people!" Does it tie into that whole mentality that some furries have in which they can only be friends with other furries? It just seems odd to try and cram anthros into everything.

This is something I've noticed here that I've never understood. I've seen so many threads that basically boil down to "I like X would it be cool if there was something like X, but with anthros?" Then you see furries doing things like modding anthro characters into videogames, even ones that make no sense to have anthros in (fallout seems to be popular with this). I just... don't get it. Do furries just look at something and go "This is cool, but it would be so much cooler with dog people!" Does it tie into that whole mentality that some furries have in which they can only be friends with other furries? It just seems odd to try and cram anthros into everything.

Yeah I think that's it.

Xenke

1) How is this concept in any stretch of the imagination hard to understand? "I like something, thus I want it to be in more things."

2) Fallout? Seriously? You can't see that? You know, nuclear fallout, mutation, etc? It's really not that hard to see an addition of an "anthro" species. Hell, they hybridized a rattle snake and a coyote.

Mentova

Because some furries like anthros more than human people.
But unless it's a stylistic choice or the story/setting/whatevs is designed with anthros in mind, then they just seem so pointless and generally don't fit the narrative.
See have a theory, I like to call it; obsession.

In my opinion that's what it boils down to them. They let this one hobby take over their life and now everything must correlate to it.
That makes no sense to me though. If everything I did every day was all 100% furry related, it would get so stale so quickly. Why devote your life entirely to one single hobby instead of branching out and trying different things?

Maybe it just takes a different personality than mine to "get" that I guess?

1) How is this concept in any stretch of the imagination hard to understand? "I like something, thus I want it to be in more things."

2) Fallout? Seriously? You can't see that? You know, nuclear fallout, mutation, etc? It's really not that hard to see an addition of an "anthro" species. Hell, they hybridized a rattle snake and a coyote.
1: I think mass effect turians are cool. Do I want them to be in everything forever? No. The kind of furry I am talking about wants anthros to be in everything forever.

2: because there is a difference between a horrible irradiated beast/horrible science-gone-wrong creature created in a lab then "giant tittied yiffy goddess fox lady"

Don't be a dick. >=[

Mxpklx

It is really just a thought that would make something seem more appealing to themselves. Like if a movie would be better if it had a specific actor you liked.
When I read the title, I think of a guy using heroin, and the syringe is filled with little furries.

Jari

Silent Wings
I dunno, I kinda agree with what you are saying, but at the same time, I agree with Onnes. But do they necessarily have to be anthros? Why couldnt they be something besides humans and monsters? I've seen like zero games where you get to be something besides a human or some mutant alien monster. But I guess its all about what you like...

Xenke

1: I think mass effect turians are cool. Do I want them to be in everything forever? No. The kind of furry I am talking about wants anthros to be in everything forever.

2: because there is a difference between a horrible irradiated beast/horrible science-gone-wrong creature created in a lab then "giant tittied yiffy goddess fox lady"

Don't be a dick. >=[

I think you're confusing "furry" and "anthro". :v

Onnes

But unless it's a stylistic choice or the story/setting/whatevs is designed with anthros in mind, then they just seem so pointless and generally don't fit the narrative.

Narrative is irrelevant, though. They'd just always rather see bipedal foxes than Homo sapiens. My impression has always been that there is subset of furries that really do place anthros that far above humans in terms of interest.

Mentova

They talk about it on here a lot because they assume it's a factor we all share in common.
Perhaps. Some people here do make a lot of dumb assumptions. They probably expect people to praise them for their amazing idea instead of asking what the point is.
I think you're confusing "furry" and "anthro". :v
No not really.

Furry is the fan, anthro is the character.

Narrative is irrelevant, though. They'd just always rather see bipedal foxes than Homo sapiens. My impression has always been that there is subset of furries that really do place anthros that far above humans in terms of interest.

I can see why they would, but that line of thinking is dumb in my opinion. Anthros aren't even real and never will be. It just seems like extreme levels of nerd fantasy escapism.

Last edited:

Xenke

No not really.

Perhaps what I mean then is

Anthro with a furry connotation vs. anthro in a general sense.

You know, something bad-ass, like armadillo people or massive bipedal cockroaches in Fallout, instead of "giant tittied yiffy goddess fox lady".

Anthros could be cool, STOP BEING SUCH AN OBJECTIONIST.

Judge Spear

Now, I feel bad... I was planning on drawing an owl guy as a Goteki 45 pilot from WipEout and the rabbit girl over to the left is cosplaying as Filia from Skullgirls in the original pic.

I never thought of it as an issue. I just suppose people want to do something different with a game's set characters and whatnot. I never noticed too much. It's like Ponies being so interchangable with a crap load of different things. At least that's what I feel. But, it's always nice to see a post that gets you thinking differently.

Last edited:

Mentova

Perhaps what I mean then is

Anthro with a furry connotation vs. anthro in a general sense.

You know, something bad-ass, like armadillo people or massive bipedal cockroaches in Fallout, instead of "giant tittied yiffy goddess fox lady".

Anthros could be cool, STOP BEING SUCH AN OBJECTIONIST.

I thought it was clear that I meant anthros with an furry connotation. If people were modding in crazy beasts like what you described into fallout then I wouldn't be bitching! :V

I Am That Is

I am not a
I guess it's because they feel slightly more relatable to the anthro version of the characters and whatnot. It's like when you read a book and then seeing the movie and thinking the actor isn't like what you expected. You may like the movie, but it would have been better how you imagined it.

Judge Spear

Perhaps. Some people here do make a lot of dumb assumptions. They probably expect people to praise them for their amazing idea instead of asking what the point is.

No not really.

I can see why they would, but that line of thinking is dumb in my opinion. Anthros aren't even real and never will be. It just seems like extreme levels of nerd fantasy escapism.

If you're not talking about the anthro swapping being the nerd escapism, just skip over this.

If they've got the skill and the idea to combine two things they really enjoy i.e. anthros and the entertainment, why not?
You sound, from this line, like the instructors who hate it when students draw anime. It's kind of the same thing when you draw Fallout or Elder Scrolls maybe even Gears of War in an anime style. Just a medium they enjoy more than the original. It doesn't even have to be a "like more than this" case either. It could be a "let's see how it looks" sort of thing.

Again not, bashing, just giving another viewpoint since you asked. I'll go home now...

Onnes

I guess it's because they feel slightly more relatable to the anthro version of the characters and whatnot.

But you realize this is rather disturbing in its own right. These are people that feel they relate better to fictional creatures than their own species.

RedFoxTwo

Sarcastic Lurker
But you realize this is rather disturbing in its own right. These are people that feel they relate better to fictional creatures than their own species.
I thought it was taken as read that most people here are pretty fucked in the head in some way or another.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I like dragons...but I also like elves, dwarves, halflings, and Men. Furry for the sake of furry without being particularly clever (like how traits are personified into animals in watership down) or imaginative/funny just...well...suck in my opinion. This is why I really don't like seeing anthropomorphic creatures in a non-fantasy/scifi setting, unless you're really skilled with symbolism (which many furries aren't).

Mentova

If you're not talking about the anthro swapping being the nerd escapism, just skip over this.

If they've got the skill and the idea to combine two things they really enjoy i.e. anthros and the entertainment, why not?
You sound, from this line, like the instructors who hate it when students draw anime. It's kind of the same thing when you draw Fallout or Elder Scrolls maybe even Gears of War in an anime style. Just a medium they enjoy more than the original. It doesn't even have to be a "like more than this" case either. It could be a "let's see how it looks" sort of thing.

Again not, bashing, just giving another viewpoint since you asked. I'll go home now...

Because it tends to be less "I wonder what it would be like if I drew X character as an anthro?" and more "I want this character to be an anthro and I will like them more because of it" or sometimes even "I will only like this if it has anthros". It just seems pointless.

Also about your anime example, instructors get mad when people draw anime because it doesn't teach you proper anatomy and such. Anime tends to have rather unrealistic proportions and odds are the instructor wants you to learn how to draw the human figure with proper anatomy. And there is a difference between "I wonder what gears of war characters would look like if drawn in a more anime inspired style" then "OH MARCUS FENIX SAN YOU ARE SOOO KAWAII DESU UGUU~" shit. :V

It's all about tact.

I thought it was taken as read that most people here are pretty fucked in the head in some way or another.

That is a dumb assumption. Not all furries are completely fucked in the head.

I Am That Is

I am not a
I as well don't like seeing any anthro characters implanted into real life scenarios. If feels so awkward and out of place. In my opinion anthro characters kind of require they're own unique environment, because they frankly don't make any sense in ours. I myself do not relate more to animals more than humans, but in the enviornments they are out in. Real life feels so fucked up at times, you wish you could be spirited away to a time where life didn't revolve around making money for the sake of making more. It's like, you get a job you hate, and for what? You work all the time and rent/taxes are so high you don't get to enjoy any of the money you earned.

ryanleblanc

I'm "Human" get over it.
I'm not one to mash furries into everything i see or do, however, it is a tremendously prominent habit of humankind to combine things. Follow me here; yes for some it reaches the point of obsession and that is a tad too far for some, but I should iterate that it is not the norm who combine the furry hobby with every other aspect of life to an obsessive extent. Rather most people will tend to combine things out of human nature to a lesser but still present degree. Examples are everywhere and there are a limitless number of non-furry-related examples:

Phones now combine telephone and texting abilities with the ability to listen to music, browse the internet, and use applications that can perform almost any imaginable task.

Combined fabrics, such as my favourite jeans which are 99% jean, 1% spandex.

Cults, which in religious terms applies to any combination of two or more religions simply out of the favouring of certain beliefs from previously established religion and the combining of those preferable beliefs to form a new religious subsection or cult.

There are thousands of other examples than span just as wide a variety of topics. But the similarity and underlying reason behind why humans combine such things as they do, is simply the fact that combination yields benefits. Phones of today permit us to more effectively use our time (or less effectively if one prefers to play games). The mere 1% spandex in my jeans makes them surprisingly comfortable but also stretchy so that i can stretch them over the openings of my skate shoes, ensuring my socks are always hidden as they should be. And finally in the case of religious cults, the combination of different morals and beliefs permits everyone to find something they can believe in should they choose to believe in anything. Essentially, the choice to combine permits freedom and yields benefits, and as such humans have continued to combine more and more things and will continue to do so indefinitely.

So basically what that long winding speech sums up to is humans like to combine things, so what should stop people from combining their hobbies and interests with each other and with other aspects of their lives. Yes some may choose to do so to comparatively extreme levels, but I personally do not see any problem with this. They have the freedom to do as they please with the furry hobby and I do not intend to revoke that freedom no matter how many things they choose to combine the furry hobby with. It's really nothing to make a big, or even small, deal out of.

Last edited:

Mentova

I as well don't like seeing any anthro characters implanted into real life scenarios. If feels so awkward and out of place. In my opinion anthro characters kind of require they're own unique environment, because they frankly don't make any sense in ours. I myself do not relate more to animals more than humans, but in the enviornments they are out in. Real life feels so fucked up at times, you wish you could be spirited away to a time where life didn't revolve around making money for the sake of making more. It's like, you get a job you hate, and for what? You work all the time and rent/taxes are so high you don't get to enjoy any of the money you earned.

I sort of disagree. Anthros can work in more real life setting, but the author/artist/etc actually has to put effort into it as either a stylistic choice or for just a fun "what if?" kinda thing instead of weird escapism stuff.

I'm not one to mash furries into everything i see or do, however, it is a tremendously prominent habit of humankind to combine things. Follow me here; yes for some it reaches the point of obsession and that is a tad too far for some, but I should iterate that it is not the norm who combine the furry hobby with every other aspect of life to an obsessive extent. Rather most people will tend to combine things out of human nature to a lesser but still present degree. Examples are everywhere and there are a limitless number of non-furry-related examples:

Phones now combine telephone and texting abilities with the ability to listen to music, browse the internet, and use applications that can perform almost any imaginable task.

Combined fabrics, such as my favourite jeans which are 99% jean, 1% spandex.

Cults, which in religious terms applies to any combination of two or more religions simply out of the favouring of certain beliefs from previously established religion and the combining of those preferable beliefs to form a new religious subsection or cult.

There are thousands of other examples than span just as wide a variety of topics. But the similarity and underlying reason behind why humans combine such things as they do, is simply the fact that combination yields benefits. Phones of today permit us to more effectively use our time (or less effectively if one prefers to play games). The mere 1% spandex in my jeans makes them surprisingly comfortable but also stretchy so that i can stretch them over the openings of my skate shoes, ensuring my socks are always hidden as they should be. And finally in the case of religious cults, the combination of different morals and beliefs permits everyone to find something they can believe in should they choose to believe in anything. Essentially, the choice to combine permits freedom and yields benefits, and as such humans have continued to combine more and more things and will continue to do so indefinitely.

So basically what that long winding speech sums up to is humans like to combine things, so what should stop people from combining their hobbies and interests with each other and with other aspects of their lives. Yes some may choose to do so to comparatively extreme levels, but I personally do not see any problem with this. They have the freedom to do as they please with the furry hobby and I don't not intend to revoke that freedom no matter how many things they choose to combine the furry hobby with. It's really nothing to make a big, or even small, deal out of.
I... think you're thinking into this a little too much. I don't think it has to do with some human instinct to combine things.

Last edited:

ryanleblanc

I'm "Human" get over it.
I... think you're thinking into this a little too much. I don't think it has to do with some human instinct to combine things.

I believe you may be right. But nonetheless, it was a fun and interesting speech to write and the main moral in it was really this little section of it.

"What should stop people from combining their hobbies and interests with each other and with other aspects of their lives. Yes some may choose to do so to comparatively extreme levels, but I personally do not see any problem with this. They have the freedom to do as they please with the furry hobby and I don't not intend to revoke that freedom no matter how many things they choose to combine the furry hobby with. It's really nothing to make a big, or even small, deal out of."