• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do I see many artists do this?

TheDude

The Dude Abides
Am I the only one that finds it a bit odd that some people tend to add pointy ears onto species that normally wouldn't have them?
And I tend to see this more so with people that draw marine anthros.

Example:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/311/1/1/dolphins_and_sharks_by_robo_shark-d4vytv2.png

(I tried to post it on forum, but my browser hates me today)

What do you think of this? Are these artists trying to follow the style of sergals, but without actually being them?

Mr. Sparta

Scale Face
I don't see anything wrong with this.

TheDude

The Dude Abides
I actually think that putting ears on these species is an interesting concept, but I guess I'm just thinking of how that would look in real life.

Jabberwocky

bitch where
I actually think that putting ears on these species is an interesting concept, but I guess I'm just thinking of how that would look in real life.

don't think about how it will look like in real life. because you are never gonna see it. these are anthro sharks, remember, and in art people can add what they feel like to a species. Like 'ears' (I see them more as extra fins) on a shark. some people like to do it, others do not and that's ok. don't worry yourself silly.

S

Sar

Artists can draw whatever the fuck they want for a species unless the person commissioning them has set said boundaries through instruction and reference sheets.

Neon Rain

Super Tuff Internet Baddie
In a lot of cases, really its because they're inexperienced/don't understand everything isn't a bloody wolf or fox. Ie if theyre drawing a hyena or something thats supposed to have ears that are a bit more rounded, they'll give it a generic wolf face regardless

PastryOfApathy

Because you're allowed to have a little bit of creative license when you're drawing something that doesn't even exist.

SeiiannaKyuako

The Floofiest Fox
Usually because people don't research what the size and shape of the ear is actually used for in nature. But hey, the pic looks nice so derp.

Copycat

INFP
Probably just to make it look cuter. Why are animes riddled with kawaiidesune neko ears? 'Cause they're cute, haha. I mean I think it's cool for the art and it isn't* my business but personally I don't like it. Unless it's a chimera then yolo

Last edited:

Inpw

Roller Coaster Imagineer.
What about the hair?

Exactly.

And what about the green mouth, green gills, clothes, arms, fingers? Oh an wait there's a shark and a orca/dolphin standing right up in the foreground. This is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:

Joeyyy

Fresh Prince of FAF
Thats the cool thing about art. and fictional critter-people.

someone could put 5 dicks, a vagina, and a pointy ear on their bellybutton, and its still completely valid (COPYRIGHT DO NOT STEAL MY CHAR ONLY)

Antronach

Bringin' sexy back~
Well I went with them because it just looks weird to not have them. Same reason why I added arms and legs to my fursona; cause it'd be weird without them.

Inpw

Roller Coaster Imagineer.
To be fair the hair at least is because they're humanoid. The ears, on the other hand, don't reflect it's "half-human status". Not that there's anything wrong with them, but it's puzzling why.

It's still some crazy non existent character designed out of pure creativeness. What about Sergals then? Or any alien imagined by people. It's fictional therefor if it had 8 tentacles peeling out of it's mouth and drooled acid I couldn't care less. Cool characters BTW.

TheDude

The Dude Abides
Alright, I guess it does spice things up a bit. But I was mainly asking about the appeal of having ears on a shark. I think Clayton nailed that one pretty well though.

And I'm not a bit fan of hair on sharks, or on anthros in general. But that's just me on that one. I guess I have a odd taste when it comes to anthro character design .3. since I also tend to like natural colors too.

Machine

Shrieking Possum Queen
Personally, I think it's okay if it's being used stylistically.

If it's someone who puts pointed ears on a bear or lion, though, I'd call them out on failing at anatomy. Or someone who makes a "raccoon" fursona that looks just looks like a fox/wolf with black points and a bandit's mask.

I'm not saying, "BE PERFECT LOL", this is just coming from someone who would draw wolves 24/fucking-7, then panic whenever confronted with the challenge of drawing a different animal. :U

Feyleaf

Still Sleepy
It makes them happy and adding this is appealing to them, even if it isn't true to life. If it makes them happy, why not?

Zan'theros

Fiery Wanderer
The way I see it, pointy ears are a symbol of expressiveness and curiosity. On creatures that are supposed to have them, they use their ears extensively to show moods, interest, etc. My guess is that by adding them to other creatures, the artist tries to give the beast these qualities.

On a side note...
Clayton said:
...anthro sharks and dolphins and orcas are fucking ugly

*small frown*
My scalemate has a head shape very much like that of a beluga whale, and I think she's pretty damn beautiful.
I know your point is with anthros, but if you're hating on head shape, then this is still relevant.

I know I have a habit of putting ears on my dragon characters, being a personal preference (I don't really know why I like prick ears on a dragon necessarily, but I do know that I do). ----> http://www.furaffinity.net/view/9847669/ In this case, Moonfire prefers her hyperdrake without ears, so eventually it's going to be redone. I think having ears as organs of expression, even if they're not strictly speaking doing much other than being attached to a critter's head, sprouted out in my work because I'm big on wolves and canines. But that's just me. ^_^

-2Paw.

Volkodav

Dad****er
My scalemate has a head shape very much like that of a beluga whale, and I think she's pretty damn beautiful.
I know your point is with anthros, but if you're hating on head shape, then this is still relevant.[/COLOR]

...what...?