• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do I see many artists do this?

Zan'theros

Fiery Wanderer
...what...?
Nevermind, I was just going on a defensive rant there. Me and my damned mouth...
Do carry on with the pointy ear discussion. *walks off, whistling a catchy tune*

CynTheTreecko

I know in my own experience that sometimes anthro based art is harder to do for those still learning. Something without hair, or ears, or genitalia close to human is confusing and therefore a lack of knowing how to balance the picture means they have to find comfort ground. I sometimes think hair or something on a fish is strange.... but if that's what they want then whatever, though some artist could make fins and other things look alot like hair.

SeiiannaKyuako

The Floofiest Fox
I'm not entirely against giving things "human" hair, though. Unless they're feral. Then it just kind of feels forced.

S

Sar

*small frown*
My scalemate has a head shape very much like that of a beluga whale, and I think she's pretty damn beautiful.
I know your point is with anthros, but if you're hating on head shape, then this is still relevant.[/COLOR]

Nevermind, I was just going on a defensive rant there. Me and my damned mouth...
Do carry on with the pointy ear discussion. *walks off, whistling a catchy tune*

[yt]fedG5o-PRFI[/yt]

My cringe senses are sensing from this dude guy.

I know in my own experience that sometimes anthro based art is harder to do for those still learning. Something without hair, or ears, or genitalia close to human is confusing and therefore a lack of knowing how to balance the picture means they have to find comfort ground. I sometimes think hair or something on a fish is strange.... but if that's what they want then whatever, though some artist could make fins and other things look alot like hair.

It's precisely what had me end up with Moonfire having ears in the pic I linked (although her character's aren't visible); I find I need a certain amount of 'grounding', as it were, with elements of anthropoid form in the drawings I do. Even when I did a lot of digitigrade werewolves along my own learning curve twenty years ago, they weren't like a wolf's legs but more like an intentional matching of 'elongated feet and footballs' than a 'paw'. When I've done pics of another friend I have here on FA, although most of the ones I've done are on DeviantArt, by the handle of Goddess Violet, there's still that aspect of assuming a certain 'humaniform' look to her, even if I really do the hyper-sized muscles and body for her. (Additionaly, I also draw her with pricked ears, although she's never mentioned one way or the other being her preference as Moon has.) I still feel more comfortable with orthograde/plantigrade footpaws (like a human's or similar to one's) although I admit I'm getting a lot better with true digitigrade foot/leg combinations.

For me, it's almost along the lines of those humaniform elements being exaggerated when added to a given anthro sometimes. I don't know in my case if there's any particular reason for that.

-2Paw.

Zan'theros

Fiery Wanderer
Well, Sarukai, if you absolutely must know, Zan'theros is in a committed relationship with a dragoness that happens to have a round head and muzzle, hence a beluga-like head.

For the sake of preventing this thread from derailing any further, I vote to return to debating pointy ears. If you want to know more, just send a PM.

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
He was just referring to the fact that you used "furrified" terminology and was talking about it seriously. That sort of word use is kind of made fun of on this forum. Just FYI

Lhasa

In a lot of cases, really its because they're inexperienced/don't understand everything isn't a bloody wolf or fox
Holy shit, this.

Also "muh earz are cute/muh creativity" is a terrible argument for supporting this practice. It doesn't look right. And before anyone starts, my character wouldn't have all these tits and limbs had I not based her in Hindu/Buddhist mythology.

Last edited: