• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do many Furries lack Confidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Sundown

I can be confident in some areas and shy in others - and social activities is one of those areas that makes me cripplingly, mind numbly, chronically shy. It's probably unrelated to me being a furry though. >>

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten

FM3THOU

Lifestyle furries sure as hell are not lacking in self confidence. Or whatever you call it.

Catch 22: Furries who are submissive are creepy losers looking for easy bone. Furries who are dominant are creepy losers looking to rape people.

Explanation: it has always been a running theme in the furry community that there is a lack of social maturity combined with a lack of self confidence which creates a strange vortex in which very few are able to swim out of. Those that do also tend to drag others down and drown them as they swim out of the vortex.

But I am also going to say that social maturity and self confidence go hand in hand. It would seem impossible to have one without the other.

Tango

*drinking your brain juices*
Well if it was that easy people like Dragonfurry would be getting some every day (no offense).

That was just mean and uncalled for. Also there is a difference between an air of confidence and being a self-absorbed shithead. But then again, I'm not an arrogant little man-whore either...no offense of course.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Fenrari vs Tango
I smell a verbal conflict. *grabs popcorn*

Tango

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten
Much as I should be standing up for my friend here too, I'm sure he didn't mean it as an attack on any one person, theoretically I could hook up with someone just for the sex, but I don't want to, and I don't know of anyone else in the area that does.
The problem is that plenty of people out there just aren't looking to simply get off with just about anyone they can. Though, a lot of people are, and far from just furries from what I've seen of my flatmates at uni. Of course, amongst us all too many see only other furries as potential partners, though I can sort of see the sense in not wanting to try to explain everything we do to someone that might already have heard the rumours, and of course it's easier for us to find each other, given that we frequent the same websites, another part of the problem, everyone meets online rather than talking face to face, and here we can pretend to be however we like, create a whole new self to hide behind, or at least try to, it's not always so easy as that, and when we see people outside the internet, we have no idea what to do, having sheltered here so long, and that just makes things even worse.

♥Miranda♥

Sexist against men
If fenrari is being out of line in making assumptions of DF's character

Then it's probably not so pragmatic to attack Fenrari's character in retaliation

You can peacefully say "That was out of line and I would like you to apologize for saying it", as opposed to adding fuel to the fire

When you attack him for attacking someone else, you are no better than he is

Now kiss and make up

Tango

Much as I should be standing up for my friend here too, I'm sure he didn't mean it as an attack on any one person, theoretically I could hook up with someone just for the sex, but I don't want to, and I don't know of anyone else in the area that does.

He could have made his point without throwing DragonFurry under the bus like that and then gave an off handed "no offense" to deflect any rage that would induce. Don't get me wrong, I -like- Fenrari but (in my eyes) he crossed the line a bit so I gave him a dose in return. Now, if he apologizes to DragonFurry I will apologize to him in return and all this will be behind us...or at least for me it will be.

MattisVeneficus

Gentleman
I think that we should all be friends. No one want a bunch of people fighting =(

gokorahn

Fluffiness level: 9002
I have always lacked confidence, socially and in myself. Around people, I generally prefer to listen, and only contribute a little bit. Although now I am being a bit more social, I still have a-ways to go. As for self confidence, I used to be uneasy driving around (don't have a license yet, just a permit) but the other day I drove a motorcycle for the first time, and burned a little rubber off the tires of my dad's corvette.

Metalmeerkat

As slick as a bad analogy
That was just mean and uncalled for. Also there is a difference between an air of confidence and being a self-absorbed shithead. But then again, I'm not an arrogant little man-whore either...no offense of course.
Well, it is true that you're not little, but . . .
But to be serious, unless there is some inside joke I'm unaware of (I am a newbie after all) or they're close friends, that did seem . . . a bit off.

Anywho back to the topic: confidence. Tonight, at 11, Younger peoples on the internet exhibit low confidence. But first, our senior scienceologist has a breaking report on a new scientific study that suggests water could possibly be wet. Stay tuned for more news from Channel Four, your guide to the obvious. :v

LemonJayde

No wait I hate you
Because we're fucking furries :v

Kitutal

cute newbie kitten

Fenrari

Prince of Wolves

You're completely correct in your findings and I'm ok with that.

Being raised in an Asian family and always falling short of expectations, I was never treated with the amount of praise and compliments that I feel I should have been. Thusly my nature makes me a compliment whore as anything else. My libido is generally a bit higher than that of other people I meet and as such I come off as a man whore always looking for the next prey to pounce and deflower.

I won't accept being called little though. I'm a perfectly respectable 6'0" and balancing acceptably between 185-195.

(You will have to realize that having moved as much as I have, and always being different; I had my share of not so pleasant labels and names tagged onto me. I've learned to shrug them off to no effect.)

As for an appology. No. People should learn to stand up for themselves. If this is how people treat him online, he suffers a lot more irl. You can't be there for him every step of his journey, so the best you can hope for is that you can teach him how to handle things. And if I'm wrong for that type of thinking, then so be it.

♥Miranda♥

Sexist against men
As for an appology. No. People should learn to stand up for themselves. If this is how people treat him online, he suffers a lot more irl. You can't be there for him every step of his journey, so the best you can hope for is that you can teach him how to handle things. And if I'm wrong for that type of thinking, then so be it.

"Other people are going to be dicks to him, so why should I apologize for being a dick to him"
is not a reasonable statement for you to make

For the sake of your standing on this forum, fucking apologize

Fenrari

Prince of Wolves
"Other people are going to be dicks to him, so why should I apologize for being a dick to him"
is not a reasonable statement for you to make

For the sake of your standing on this forum, fucking apologize

If I come off as a horrible person let it be so.

People should stand the fuck up for themselves. If he has an issue with it; let him tell me. Don't speak for other people.

Tango

Wish granted! And to think, I actually went out of my way to try to help you get a job with the company I work for. Oh well.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa

I wish there was a downvote option in FAF, as this post would be downvoted into oblivion.

Onnes

People should stand the fuck up for themselves. If he has an issue with it; let him tell me. Don't speak for other people.

Just because someone won't respond to an insulting call-out doesn't mean it's OK to shit on them. Your statements in this thread, and your subsequent refusal to abandon them, speak volumes to your character, and people will judge you accordingly.

Schwimmwagen

Being raised in an Asian family and always falling short of expectations, I was never treated with the amount of praise and compliments that I feel I should have been.

Are you asking for pity here? Also someone should poke DF so he can come here and slap the shit out of Fenrari himself. Or I'll be happy to do it if he doesn't.

Shit's uncalled for, Fen, honestly. You should be fucking ashamed of yourself. "I don't care what people think of me." That's no way to go about life. No wonder people around you give you such a hard time - a hard time that you don't shut the fuck up about.

PS: Fen, you should follow your own advice and stand the fuck up for yourself against your parents who you keep on posting about. After all its such an easy thing to do like you play it off as, as if you're so much better than the people you talk down on.

Last edited:

Brazen

Terrorist Scum
e8ldoy.jpg

Right, now one of you make a racist comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.