• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do people hate being thanked for faves and watches?

VoltairSergal

Dumb Blue Sergal
I mean I get that they might like to have a nice clean shoutbox but is it really a big deal?

At least it shows someone actually acknowledging your support

homie

the homiest of the homies
It barely seems genuine. It clutters things.

Those two alone make it seem pretty annoying.

ESPECIALLY if its a cut/copy and paste thank you. Some artists who thank others for favourites/watches are entirely genuine and you can tell. Yeah, I get it, you might appreciate me enough to thank me but don't have the time to actually hand-write(type?) a response. But it does make a huge difference if you can.

Unless its obviously a legitimate shout/comment thanking me, I really dislike thanks.

VoltairSergal

Dumb Blue Sergal
I guess that is right...

When I send thanks to someone I always just write something different and no copy paste because I use FA on my phone and copy paste is super hard on it

NplusD

It's more so for me, it feels like when it comes to the copy paste, especially if they edit it to add in the submission favorited, that they're trying to get further publicity by commenting via shout. Wouldn't be as bothered if it was via note and not something horridly obvious on one's page.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I never mind getting a thanks, just seems like good manners when it does happen. And when I send one, I always add in something specific to the person who sent it, maybe strike up a conversation based on whatever mutual interests we might have. I reckon' it never hurts to be friendly. I mean, it's just a short hello, not a marriage proposal; I'm not sure why anyone would be put out by such a little thing.

NplusD

I never mind getting a thanks, just seems like good manners when it does happen. And when I send one, I always add in something specific to the person who sent it, maybe strike up a conversation based on whatever mutual interests we might have. I reckon' it never hurts to be friendly. I mean, it's just a short hello, not a marriage proposal; I'm not sure why anyone would be put out by such a little thing.
For me, it's more so when they go 'Thanks for favoriting LINKHERE' like... if someone really likes your work like 'Oh my gosh, I feel really honored that you favorited LINKHERE, I was worried that the shading was really off and since you got really nice shading, could ya give me some tips?' then it's a lot more okay imo, or if, as you've stated, brought into being a conversation starter like 'Hey, I saw you favorite my art and I'd like to thank you for that, though since it's X Files themed I'll take it you like the X-Files? How far have you gotten into the show?' then that's also alright.

Just the copy paste ones, especially with links bug me.

Tigger

Honestly, I don't mind getting a thanks for a watch, and I usually respond in kind. But I don't personally thank watchers+favers, mainly because I feel like it's just 'advertising' by sticking your name on another person's shout box for the excuse of "Hey you like my art, cool!" I've heard this from other users who don't like shouts for those reasons, that they feel like their personal page becomes one giant banner that any user can claim for themselves as advertising space. After all, if a user gets fifteen favorites on one submission, that's potentially fifteen additional pages they can put their icon to try and draw in new watchers. Not saying this is how all artists or users see it, of course not, but it can be seen that way and that's personally why I avoid doing that. I guess the only time I'd comment on someone's page after a fave/watch is if I looked through their gallery and saw they like something I do, like Spyro or Zelda or an obscure, smaller fandom. Then I'd probably thank them and compliment them on having such wonderful tastes in fandoms. :p

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
For me, it's more so when they go 'Thanks for favoriting LINKHERE' like... if someone really likes your work like 'Oh my gosh, I feel really honored that you favorited LINKHERE, I was worried that the shading was really off and since you got really nice shading, could ya give me some tips?' then it's a lot more okay imo, or if, as you've stated, brought into being a conversation starter like 'Hey, I saw you favorite my art and I'd like to thank you for that, though since it's X Files themed I'll take it you like the X-Files? How far have you gotten into the show?' then that's also alright.

Just the copy paste ones, especially with links bug me.

Ah, I can see where that could be pesky!

I suppose, too, as a writer and not a visual artist, my FA shout area is not nearly as busy, so I just like to hear from folks in general.

Snowbbi

99% fluff
I agree that it doesn't seem sincere and is most likely copy/paste. My page is relatively small so it raises my hopes when I see a comment.

Samandriel Morningstar

The Morningstar
I don't mind but at the same time I do because I'd rather have someone trying to strike up a conversation with me then just cluttering my page with essentially an ad for their page there like it's been said above.

PheagleAdler

I'm guilty of this and I need to phase it out.

D

Deleted member 82554

It can get tiresome for some and seem like it's not genuine but to go completely spastic over it is fucking retarded. It's the sort of attitude jaded furs adopt because it's the same old crap.

The way I look at it is that when someone thanks you, it is genuine, or else they wouldn't waste their time, and acknowledging you does work in their favor. I tend to feel a little more friendlier towards that lot.

Caraid

Classy cat
I occasionally thank for watches. I do hand-type them and sometimes personalize them a bit, but after a while it gets difficult to type out a unique message every time. I get the impression that most people do appreciate the acknowledgement.

I actually find it quite annoying when people use shouts to start a conversation. They're super inefficient for talking, I have to go to the other person's page to reply, the conversation is broken up and you just hardly get anything out of it. If someone genuinely wants to talk to me, I'd prefer they use other means to do it.

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I was raised in a polite culture, so it doesn't bother me when people leave those comments on my profile. They always have the potential to turn into an art conversation if you wish to discuss the drawing. Although admittedly, that might be better left on the drawing itself. Shouts admittedly are hard for conversations since it does get scattered about.

The comments I don't like getting are those huge flowerly ones with designs all over it. I haven't really seen it here on FA (yet), but on dA there's always a chance of getting that 500px tall "~*~*~*~ Thank you for faving the drawing I completed at exactly 11:52pm last October ~*~*~*~ Now please go fave every other item in my gallery! ~*~*~*~" Oh my goodnesss. @_@

Dallas

Wiggle Cat
If you were the chef of a diner would you walk out and thank every customer for liking the food? Of course you wouldn't. It's your food, you know you made it well and they're going to like it. By walking out and thanking them you make the environment awkward and kind of annoy them. Same thing with thanking for favorites.

I saw the art, I liked the art, I added it to my favorites because I liked it. Why am I being thanked? It's like checking me into your hotel and then thanking me the next day for enjoying it, you just don't do that.

The manager comes out like "Thank you so much for enjoying your room in my hotel last night." You'd look at them like they were crazy.

VoltairSergal

Dumb Blue Sergal
If you were the chef of a diner would you walk out and thank every customer for liking the food? Of course you wouldn't. It's your food, you know you made it well and they're going to like it. By walking out and thanking them you make the environment awkward and kind of annoy them. Same thing with thanking for favorites.

I saw the art, I liked the art, I added it to my favorites because I liked it. Why am I being thanked? It's like checking me into your hotel and then thanking me the next day for enjoying it, you just don't do that.

The manager comes out like "Thank you so much for enjoying your room in my hotel last night." You'd look at them like they were crazy.

I don't think it's quite as awkward for people that don't have thousands of people watching them

But I get the point

Orlaghnyx

Professional shirt spdr
Personally I just feel like it doesn't mean anything. Empty words. Especially if I fav a picture, I don't care about the artist or the character owner, I care about that specific piece for a specific reason. It's sort of a stash for me for inspiration or art style, character design, or overall picture ideas.

BUT
If I engage in a conversation with the artist or character owner, by discussing the piece or just overall complimenting/talking about something, getting a thank you for a watch/fav is a lot more nicer. Then I know they acknowledge me and aren't doing it just because they do it to everyone.

Fuu

Where there's water, there's otter
If I'm watching you, you earned it, thank me by putting up more content. I dislike seeing the same copy+paste 'thanks for watching!' because it lacks in personality. It doesn't make me happy to see the same message you gave me on sixty other peoples walls. The same for favs. I fave a piece because I like it, I want to revisit it sometime, but you don't need to thank me for doing.

Last edited:

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
I thank everyone
images

I typically thank other artists for watching me, particularly ones I see have even better art than I do, as that's an immense compliment to me. That, and I typically write them a message about how much I like their art as well as a thank-you. Otherwise it just seems hollow and pointless.

Capriney

"It's hiiiiiigh noon...."

While that's a good point that it makes some people annoyed, the difference is you're comparing something physically getting into your way to thank someone, compare to a message you can easily handwave away since this is the internet.

Not that I disagree, sometimes people don't want their page flooded with "thanks!" just the comparison is iffy.

I guess in a way, I rather take the "thank yous" and politeness than pages upon pages of rants.