• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do people hate being thanked for faves and watches?

Dallas

Wiggle Cat
I just thank people for liking and favoring my work to let them know I noticed them. Sure, I understand the waiter/food argument, but the thing is that

While that's a good point that it makes some people annoyed, the difference is you're comparing something physically getting into your way to thank someone, compare to a message you can easily handwave away since this is the internet.

Not that I disagree, sometimes people don't want their page flooded with "thanks!" just the comparison is iffy.

I guess in a way, I rather take the "thank yous" and politeness than pages upon pages of rants.
You're correct, and I'll rephrase it a little for the sake of putting it more into context.

If you ate at that diner or stayed at that hotel and later on that night you get a notification for a post on your Facebook wall and when you look at it it's the chef or the hotel owner saying "thank you for enjoying your meal at so and so" or "thank you so much for liking your overnight stay at {hotel name}" you're going to be slightly annoyed but you'll probably let it slide. It's a notification, you can swipe it away and/or delete the post, and that's it.

Now what if almost every restaurant, fast food place, or any business at all including banks did this every time you carried out any services with them? Your public wall would be full of random organizations thanking you for basically nothing, anyone who visits your page could see by their profiles what type of services you enjoy, which you might not want, and it would be annoying as shit.

That context can be perfectly imaged over to FA and fit perfectly. Just replace organizations with artists and services with watches and faves. That's why we don't like it. It's meaningless spam that we get from literally everyone.

I don't use FB, don't know 100% how it works, this is just an example.

Zuriak

Designated Bearforce
Something I noticed is over time, some people come to hate thank-you and compliments. I met a fantastic artist in person one time and they went on and on about how they hate people whom tell them their work is good. Their work *is* good, but why is it a bad thing for someone to tell you this? Personally when someone tells me my work is great, I'm immensely flattered -- so I suppose some folks take human interaction for granted or just don't care for it; the view from the bottom rungs is quite different from the top rungs.

As for this predicament mentioned in this thread, I find it perfectly acceptable to say something like "Thanks for the watch!" to folks who follow me, or to receive the same in return when I follow someone else. It's a sort of courtesy -- though personally I find messages thanking for faves is a bit inappropriate. I'm not social, but I try to be friendly.

VoltairSergal

Dumb Blue Sergal
Whether someone thanking you is sincere or not, it's just courtesy

Sure it might be annoying to some, but so what, it takes 2 seconds to remove unwanted shouts from your page

If someone got all aggravated at me for thanking them for watching I wouldn't really appreciate them, and would rather they just don't watch me at all than snap at me for being grateful

There's more important things in life than to get miserable over trivial things like that

Draghorn

Business Dragon
Well, I'm appreciative of the thanks I get for watches. I'd say so in my profile, if I ever got off my butt and ever wrote one. -_-" (Except for the occasional comment, adding watches is about the only publicly viewable thing I do on these art sites.)

zorua

diet soda
Honestly there are very few people who aren't thankful for favs and watches, I'm very excited when I get them for example! So it's just kind of redundant. If there was a separate way to do it it wouldn't bother me at all to be thanked for them, however there isn't. So what ends up happening is I see a new comment notification, which is usually something relevant, but then it's nothing more than shout thanking for fav/watch and it drives me nuts. Even if artists don't copy/paste their message to everyone, it still ends up kind of hollow even when there is a custom message.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
I never mind if others do it or not on my page, tho I don't bother with doing it.
To me it like I do it cause I like the things the artist have, or like the pic.
I don't fave/watch to get thanks.

I find it funny that no one stated that already, but what really gets on my nerves is when I get thanked for favouriting submissions which is a piece of another artist (i.e. comissions, requests, gift arts). I favourite pieces that I find great, for instance when it has a neat style to it, a good composition, precise anatomy, epic themes, interesting characters etc... or... ehm... when it's good yiff, to show the artist that I like their piece. One could be asking: "Why not faving the original then?", well, there are several reasons to this, which are the point of this topic. What I am trying to say is a "thank you for the fav" from someone who only comissioned another artist does not feel right. It does not feel like they appreciate a favourite on their comissioned artist's artwork, but for their own statistics! That really looks like hypocrisy for me.

Yet, I am generally not bothered by people thanking me for favourites or watches, without the above exception, neither am I bothered by seemingly copy-pasted thank you's. But what actually bothers me, is how no one ever seems to dare to look at my submissions, if they are going on my profile anyway. It's like they were all like: "OH look, he uploads artworks... mh, actually, I don't care. It's just important that he faved my submission." My submissions are there for a reason. To be looked at. I am not asking for favourites or watches myself, but I am asking for a bit interaction on my pieces, i.e. feedback or criticism. I am way more glad about a "nice art" on my profile page or on the submission page than thankful for a favourite or watch, which does not mean I was not thankful at all! Quite the opposite. I am very happy about favourites or watches, too, but simply, I am happy like a small child when it comes to more than that. Words about your art have a bigger impact than just numbers. That is why this whole bunch of thank-you-for-the-fav-thing appears like it was all about the numbers, while it does not generally bother me to receive thank-you-comments.

I rarely thank others, because I think they do not expect that from me when favouriting my artwork
...and because I am lazy. But after I read through a couple of threads on how to get a bit more attention, it has come to my mind that it might be an advantage to do so. What I need to work on, is interaction with others. I am a, like non-present, silent watcher who just favourites some artwork. I pretty rarely leave comments on others' submissions or profiles. I know that I cannot expect interaction with my pieces then, correct?

RocketExecutiveCypress

Lord of All Plants(In training)
I don't really find it sincere or genuine. Sure the other person might mean it, but I don't know that. Especially when it's the exact same phrasing everyone else uses. Plus that's usually the only time you ever hear from that person. I would think there's something about it the person likes and try to have a conversation about that, but doesn't ever work. I don't flip out about it though, just remove and move on.

SodaBubbles

I will deliver the explosion
I don't thank for faves. I do thank for watches, but I try to tailor them a bit rather than just being repetetive. But you can only thank people so many ways, and I've been considering stopping anyway.

ravewulf

I don't hate it, but it is a little bit annoying. I assume that people automatically appreciate any fave or watch without them needing to comment about it, so posting a shout on my page is an attempt to start a conversation that I wasn't interested in participating in. If I wanted to have a conversation about someone's work I would comment on the submission page or in THEIR shout box to say I appreciate their gallery (though mostly I'm just a lurker).

On the flip side, I can see that some percent of the time it could spark a conversation that both people enjoy. I had that happen once with someone who noticed I'm a Sterek fan.

Gem-Wolf

da golden wuff
As long as you accept the fact that you're annoying.
images

Warwick

I always find it strange to be thanked for favouring something - as if I'm doing a favour to the artist. I mark pieces I like to keep them in my curated list, for my own convenience, and I watch artists for the same reason. That said, it's part of FA, and unlikely to change.

So I don't thank for watches or favourites, I say 'Welcome to my gallery' or express my gladness that they liked some piece (I mention the subject, but don't give a link). If I notice someone dislikes faves, I'll won't leave a comment, but I makes me worry someone has hidden such a comment somewhere in their exceedingly long profile.

I'll usually look around someone's pages while I'm there, but I'll tend to comment on pieces directly, rather than in the shout.

VoltairSergal

Dumb Blue Sergal
At least we don't have to worry about being thanked for anything thanks to this Read Only mode haha

Caraid

Classy cat
I always find it strange to be thanked for favouring something - as if I'm doing a favour to the artist. I mark pieces I like to keep them in my curated list, for my own convenience, and I watch artists for the same reason. That said, it's part of FA, and unlikely to change.

But... That is exactly what you're doing? By adding pieces to your favorites they move to your front page for a while (or occasionally if you have it set to random) which means more exposure for the artist. Every time a piece of mine is favorited I have a chance of reaching more people. I don't thank for favorites myself, but I'm confused by your attitude. I'm certainly thankful for them regardless, because they help my business along.

Dallas

Wiggle Cat
But... That is exactly what you're doing? By adding pieces to your favorites they move to your front page for a while (or occasionally if you have it set to random) which means more exposure for the artist. Every time a piece of mine is favorited I have a chance of reaching more people. I don't thank for favorites myself, but I'm confused by your attitude. I'm certainly thankful for them regardless, because they help my business along.
Unless you have your favorites hidden.

Caraid

Classy cat
Unless you have your favorites hidden.

Most people don't, though.

And even if they do, a watch will put your name in their watch list and a favorite still means that the person likes your work enough to collect it (which means potential client, or they might share it with their friends in private). Regardless of how or why, a favorite is positive thing for the artist.

Dallas

Wiggle Cat
Most people don't, though.

And even if they do, a watch will put your name in their watch list and a favorite still means that the person likes your work enough to collect it (which means potential client, or they might share it with their friends in private). Regardless of how or why, a favorite is positive thing for the artist.
But if you think of it from their POV, they favorited it because they liked it, not because they want to help you gain popularity. Thanking them for that is just weird. A watch I could kind of understand, but thanking someone for just favoriting seems weird.

Fordoxia

But if you think of it from their POV, they favorited it because they liked it, not because they want to help you gain popularity. Thanking them for that is just weird. A watch I could kind of understand, but thanking someone for just favoriting seems weird.
Bu- But... I need your constant gratification to survive! I must thank you for that!!!

Caraid

Classy cat
From the perspective of the artist, a watch means "hey, your work is pretty cool, I'd like to see more of it in the future". Which, whether you have that intent or not, is often seen as a compliment and thanking for a compliment is just common courtesy.

I had a chat about it with my partner (who is on the side of "thanking for favs/watches is tacky and unnecessary") and I understand your point of view as a consumer, but try to understand the point of view of the artist as well. I guess I will refrain from thanking people unless they are an artist themselves as artists generally understand the feeling of gratitude whether the intent was there or not. It just seems a bit weird to me to actually get annoyed with it.

Dragonley

Nephuel
People actually bitch about someone saying thank you? Like seriously? Bloody hell get that stick out of your ass mate and learn what common courtesy is.

You see there's people out there who go on watch sprees (probably for themselves to gain watchers) where they watch like... 1500+ people. Those are the people who tend to bitch about it.

I don't mind thanks on my page since me watching people is a rarity. But other people bitch because they watch essentially every user out there and don't expect a mass of thanks. I personally won't thank these people because I don't want to hear it and secondly I don't find it complimenting when a person who is watching 1500+ watches me. Just seems like I'm another brick in the wall.

The only time I don't like being thanked is for favorites. I find that rather pathetic. It's just a favorite, these people need to stop promoting themselves on my page.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
You see there's people out there who go on watch sprees (probably for themselves to gain watchers) where they watch like... 1500+ people. Those are the people who tend to bitch about it.

I don't mind thanks on my page since me watching people is a rarity. But other people bitch because they watch essentially every user out there and don't expect a mass of thanks. I personally won't thank these people because I don't want to hear it and secondly I don't find it complimenting when a person who is watching 1500+ watches me. Just seems like I'm another brick in the wall.

The only time I don't like being thanked is for favorites. I find that rather pathetic. It's just a favorite, these people need to stop promoting themselves on my page.

That I can get. Granted regardless if someone says thanks you should, at the very least, just ignore it. Actively bitching out someone is just a pitiful as thanking for a fav.