• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do we commission other artists?

Is it because we don't have the talent to do draw? Is it because you think it's fun if other artists draw a character or scene? Is it because you like seeing people in different styles? Or is it because of some other reason?

Well me personally, I sometimes commission artists to refine my character designs a little. Sometimes I make characters out of a character creator game, and I'd pay an artist to give it a more detailed look.

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
Cuz I can't draw as well as some people, as well I tend to like their creativity and art style over mine.

Joybit

aka Rinpoe
I can draw, but it is way more stressful on me than it needs to be (likely why I stick to electronics, they're less stress and more fun for me.) I like supporting artists as well.

I used to be able to draw but I don't have the time (or tools now) anymore. So why not let someone else make a few dozen bucks or so for doing something they love already.

D

Deleted member 82554

Cuz I can't draw as well as some people, as well I tend to like their creativity and art style over mine.

Adding to that: Some deal with financial turmoil as well, so some like to be supportive while getting something in return.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
All of the commissions I've purchased have been because I wanted to give the artist/writer money, but they're too proud to outright accept a financial gift.

So in answer to your question: Out of pity.

Mei

Aderpable Fluffbutt
I can *maybe* draw a stick figure... badly...

I love different artists styles and seeing what their imaginations can do with my 'sona. When creating my ref sheet i had commissioned accenlia after becoming enthralled with her artwork. I told her what i wanted and she transferred it flawlessly into what you see on my ref sheet. I have a hard time deciding exactly what i want (i have terrible OCD) so a lot of times i will just leave it to the artist ^~^ I gave her 3 ref pics of different hairstyles i liked and she did an amazing job. The hair in my avatar looks like my hairstyle irl hehe (saokymo gave me that drawing)

I spend a lot of time browsing for cute art ~.^

PastryOfApathy

Because people want their self-insert fucking [insert cartoon character here] but don't have the talent nor fiscal responsibility to do it themselves.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
I like collecting stuff (pokemon and neopet cards and plushies). Art is like this to me and allows for several different styles to be easily collected.

I can't draw, and I love seeing different styles, and give the good artists money. I gladly pay for what I enjoy, and I enjoy the art, and seeing my character in different styles. That's the reason I decided to start to commission artists, and I'll keep doing it for a long time. As long as I'm able to financially, that is. I won't just go throwing my money at everyone, of course, but that goes without saying. Same way I don't just buy up every game or every piece of music and so on. Common sense, lol.

Last edited:

Zuriak

Designated Bearforce
For reasons.

"I want to commission you to draw a female character!"
"Alrighty, can do!"
"But with a penis."
"O-okay..."
"Yeah. That should do it. Thanks."

I'm a simple man.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
It's pretty neat to see your own character come to life in whatever style the other artist uses.
See this avatar of mine? It was drawn in a style that the artist was experimenting with, and to see the final result was pretty damn cool and different.

In the geekiest way possible, it feels kinda good.

LylaJade

Well. My only reason for commissioning a artist would be because my 8 year old can draw better than I do and it would be nice to have something that I can picture in my head actually put down on paper.

Ley

I am a pastry chef, but I don't only want to eat pastries.

IE, I'm an artist and I do pretty cute stuff, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see my brainchildren in other styles as well.

Ratical

Is it because we don't have the talent to do draw? Is it because you think it's fun if other artists draw a character or scene? Is it because you like seeing people in different styles

All the above.

I don't commission much, though. I have a hard time justifying putting a lot of money into art. I'm frugal as all get-out.

It's great for networking, too. You commission someone, they post your pic on their page linking to your page, and you do like-wise. Both sides have increased traffic and help each other out. Helps you branch out if nothing else.

S

Sar

You commission someone because you want them to draw or make you something in their own take. If everyone could do the infinity of all styles then no one would make money.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
For reasons.

"I want to commission you to draw a female character!"
"Alrighty, can do!"
"But with a penis."
"O-okay..."
"Yeah. That should do it. Thanks."

I'm a simple man.

i charge extra for peni.
But if it's on a lady, it's free.

Ratical

I draw for myself a lot, but I do commission others too. I think it's because I just like seeing my ideas come to life by the hands of another. It's neat to see their take on things and how they interpret your thoughts.

I'm not an artist, but I'd imagine seeing your characters realized by someone else makes them feel more "alive" in a way. The sentiment of seeing someone else take the time to draw something you created is nice, too. Even if it was for money, since some will comment that they had a lot of fun drawing the character or thought it was a good testament to their talent.

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
I can't draw for shit, but I also have no way of paying for commissions. I keep my eyes peeled for the rare chance that an artist, looking for drawing experience, takes requests. If I could, I would commission all kinds of awesome art of my 'sona.

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
i literally dont have hands

literally

AlexInsane

I does what I says on the box.
I used to commission people because I had an active imagination where furries were concerned.

Now? I'm too poor and chances are good I can just go on fchan or some shit and find what I want anyway.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Mostly because I like seeing how other people would draw my characters