• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Why do you need to modify words

TehSean

weasyl.com/profile/naoki
I don't know all the words that we furries use to describe certain things, but most of them come off as childish to me. In that respect, it makes the people using the language childish to me.

I'm ignorant of all of the words we've changed, but the word "yiffy" is probably the worst. If you would like to know one of the reasons that we're looked down upon by everyone including other furries, then just keep mangling language into .... I don't understand the appeal of it other than it puts a bright and cheery face on a word that normally sounds particularly violent. FUCKING. It reads like a stone impact. Maybe that's the problem. It's not soft enough for us.

Another thing I've noticed is that people reduce their language by putting on a childish dialect on their words. I suppose it works for babyfurs, for the purposes of roleplay, but beyond that I'm unsure. An example: Hello is baby-ized into "hewwo" and particularly would transmute into "pawticuwawly".

So again, my point and question is: What's the need of this? Is it just for fun? Like how a lot of people in school attempted to personalize their property by putting scratch'n'sniff stickers all over their portfolios? It can't just be a form of personalization though because it's a form of sub-language used primarily by our furry sub-culture. Therefore, it's a form of peer pressure enabling a friendly face to others who've for some reason also forgone the use of normal words. I've been in this community for a good ten years now and I still will never understand the appeal of the serious use of words adding "-ies" except in the idea of underage roleplay.

Walk-ies
Scritch-ies(not a word;modified vers. of scratch)
Preg-ies or Preg-ers

You get the idea. I keep coming back to the feeling that it's just to speak with a more childish tone so that more people are less likely to be offended by your presence or your underlying intelligence... to be easier to talk to and more approachable!
I'm just happy I haven't heard many in-person furs speak like that. I'd be embarrassed.

ExTo

Under the sea, near heat vents
Surely just for fun most of the time.

In some cases these words are simply synonymes and serve no purpose as well, but if I'm not mistaken several words used by furries actually carry a bit of a meaning of their own. Yiff, for one (if you're to trust Urban Dictionary) can be a simple synonym for "sexy", "make love" and the f-bomb, but can also be used to specify playful sex/foreplay over the more straight-to-the-point deal.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
I don't know about you, but when I think of the word "fucking", I think of angry, aggressive sex. I don't use the word "yiff" too often, but it does seem more snuggly and cute.

And that's pretty much the root of it, I think. As a generalization, furries love cute.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
don't forget about the endless FUR-puns.

fun FUR all
FURfright
FURther convention
FURiends
FURfag (although I'm not sure if we made that one up.)
conFURted

Those...some of those are over the line.

/I can stand the con names.
//Furiends? >..<

RetroCorn

Did someone say waffle?
don't forget about the endless FUR-puns.

fun FUR all
FURfright
FURther convention
FURiends
FURfag (although I'm not sure if we made that one up.)
conFURted

my god... it never ends....

FURuck.

DOH >.<

my eyes bleed at such nonsense... >_<

capthavoc123

Master of Disaster
It pisses me off too. As if there isn't enough about us to make fun of, we have the retards who go out and attempt to insert furry "language" (an insult to real languages everywhere) into normal conversations, and then act all offended when the non-furries in the crowd rightfully treat them like a first-grader.

TheMastertape

Left in a cab...
As I see it, there is a difference between a communally recognized word used to change the weight of an existing word, and asinine modification of words without definite purpose.

The former must be used only when the social environment permits.
And the latter is just stupid.

RetroCorn

Did someone say waffle?
the only "furry" word i use would be the word yiff.

Drakaji

Friday night Furenzy!

But seriously I don't use any words like that. They seem weird to me in most cases. The only words I could think of that would be legitimate for use would be "yiff" since that describes adult acts with an emphasis on anthro/furry.

Another thing I've noticed is that people reduce their language by putting on a childish dialect on their words. I suppose it works for babyfurs, for the purposes of roleplay, but beyond that I'm unsure. An example: Hello is baby-ized into "hewwo" and particularly would transmute into "pawticuwawly".

....I've been in this community for a good ten years now and I still will never understand the appeal of the serious use of words adding "-ies" except in the idea of underage roleplay.

Walk-ies
Scritch-ies(not a word;modified vers. of scratch)
Preg-ies or Preg-ers
I haven't even seen any furs *online* speak like that. Besides, it's not like furries are the only ones that use that kind of speech, heck I've only heard non-furs use that style.

As for the Fur puns, you've got me there. >_>

YurouYuki

It personally drives me nuts; it's like that fuckin build-a-bear place that uses the word bear in all their damn sentences...I know it's for kids and for advertising to kids or parents, but it still sounds dumb. I admit, when I was a complete n00b to the fandom, I used words like "mate", sort of putting myself at the level I thought most furries were at I suppose; when I talk to anyone I try to put myself at their level unless they're just outrageously childish, that isn't to say I thought other "furries" were dumb, but rather I thought that's just how they talked.

Hakar Kerarmor

PRAISE THE EMPEROR
If you would like to know one of the reasons that we're looked down upon by everyone including other furries, then just keep mangling language into ...

Cry me a {insert expletive of choice here} river. (Not you personally)
I knew people whined about pointless crap, but this takes the cake and hides it in an underground bunker with dozens of racks of personality cores and a Companion Cube.

Haystack

Sushi Doom
Why, I think it's positively fureakish to replace "for"/"fer"/"fr"/"fir"/whatever with "fur"!

Well, okay... perhaps it's not so bad when it doesn't create an extra syllable (as in Confurence), but when it does (as furiends does), it's particularly jolting. Even when it's not jolting, it's at best somewhat cheeseball to make such substitutions. Fortunately, I like cheeseball.

"Scritch" has a connotation of more gentle and affectionate activity than "scratch", which anything from that same gentle activity to dealing with an itch to inflicting injury.

"Yiff"... I rarely use it or its even sillier-sounding adjective variant, "yiffy". I'm already silly enough with regular English; I don't need jargon to enhance that. I'm cool with other folks using it, though.

All that being said, I think use of furry jargon and such is an important part of tying oneself into the fandom, for some folks. It marks them as part of the group and (as Kiniel mentioned) can be used to ferret out other members of the group or to speak in code. There is, after all, a certain thrill (for some people) in making a naughty or otherwise unseemly comment right under some outsider's nose and enjoying their not understanding at all what's been said. Of course, things can get even more fun when the supposed outsider turns out to understand the language, after all. Just ask the Hispanic guy who tried to sneak a nasty comment by me using Spanish... only to see my obviously non-Hispanic self leaning across the conveyor, grinning, nodding, and telling him (also in Spanish) that I was indeed a big, fat jerk, and then giving a meaningful glance towards the supervisor. He was rather quiet for the rest of the shift. >:3

Anyway, there's no use getting upset about how other furry fans talk. They'll keep right on doing it and your blood pressure will keep right on going up until your cranial arteries explode and you end up babbling just like them. :p

Arc

Grim's Delicate Flower
Meh, I also use the word yiff (in the meaning of Cybersex),
and sometimes /facepaw.
I try not to overdo it, but I don't care if other people do so.
So, what's the big deal about it?
Oh I forgot, "internet is serious business!".
It's just for fun and nothing else.

Zarbolord

Hawt brown eyed dragon
I usually don't go into that kind of speech, but I do tend to go into babyish language sometimes, depending on how I feel at the moment, and specially when I flirt, I get all cute yet serious, but meh. I think its ok from time to time, just depends on the situation. Too much of anything always looks horrid.

Jack

it is probably used to simplify emotions and actions into smaller easier said words like slang terms. and can also be used as code so that most people around you don't know what you are saying. but I do agree that it is somewhat overused.

Skee

eekS
I really tend to avoid people who talk in the whole furry sub language, they tend to be the people most at loggerheads to my personality.

At the end of the day, if you're really really invested in the fandom, I guess you're gonna use the words, but for me? the vast majority of furrys should probably just talk standard languages, instead of bastardising English even further than it already has been.

Randy-Darkshade

Bike riding squirrel thing.
It wouldn't make a difference wether we said Yiff or what ever, haters would still FIND a way to make fun out of us, besides which the anime fandom has their own words to for example, Hentai, Manga, doujin etc, as they also have cosplay, we have fursuiters, personally i do not see a difference. Frankly, i don't give a damn who uses what words, if they wish to use them, fine by me, if sad fucks wish to waste there time and make fun of us, it is their time they be a wasting.

I do not care what haters think, i am my own person, i will choose what i say, what i like and so fourth. so again i say if some people want to use the "furpuns" or the wood "yiff" i say let em, it is their choice to do so.

I personally try to refrain from useing yiff, it is not my most favourite of words, but at the same time i am not gonna complain of those who do.

HTtheCB

You sir, how about a shave?
Honestly, I got sick of the word "yiff" after just a month of use. I hate it, it's a plague of a word. To be honest, however, I do use stupid things like "murr" in RP crap because, well, I think it's cute. <_<

Honestly, I only modify words to sound goofy, and I try not to use it excessively. :u